Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach

I am pretty sure that HPF on my mid-woofer made the sound better. Vocals, sax tell the story very clearly. Frankly, it goes against common experience that letting a midwoofer
work all the way down to low bass (under 80Hz) is not detrimental to sound. If the driver is forced to reproduce 30-60 Hz and the vocal range at the same time it is heard in the vocals.
I confirmed it with careful experiments after a long time of letting my midwoofers work with no HPF.
And by design they are created to work 20hz-1500hz range with no filters. See below.

H1411-08 A26RE4

Last edited:
Frankly, it goes against common experience that letting a midwoofer work all the way down to low bass (under 80Hz) is not detrimental to sound.[/url]

Frankly, IMHO this is incorrect. It depends entirely on the midwoofer. The 15s that I use are hardly moving at all so there is no nonlinear intermodulation. And these drivers have a very well controlled high end. Remember that my drivers are in much too small closed boxes so they are very stiff at the low end.

Frankly, IMHO this is incorrect. It depends entirely on the midwoofer. The 15s that I use are hardly moving at all so there is no nonlinear intermodulation. And these drivers have a very well controlled high end. Remember that my drivers are in much too small closed boxes so they are very stiff at the low end.

I wish I could hear the NS15, alas not very likely in Europe. Perhaps you sell licenses to build them for private use? Like Siegfried Linkwitz for his LX521 which I have built.

I continue to believe that crossover slopes should be a low as possible for the intended response. The HP on my compression drivers is 1st order - way up at about 8 kHz though (even though the driver handles down to about 800 Hz.)....
Yes, broad slopes gets more drivers working more of the time. So you get that nice Toole ambient quality like with dipoles.

B.

Yes, broad slopes gets more drivers working more of the time. So you get that nice Toole ambient quality like with dipoles.

B.

What do you mean by "Toole ambient quality like with dipoles" ? I asked Floyd Toole once for advice on dipoles and he referred me to Siegfried Linkwitz (RIP).
"Siegfried Linkwitz would be my "go to" person for cone-dome dipoles, but he, unfortunately, is seriously ill. I discuss his omnidirectional vs. dipole subjective comparison in Section 7.4.5."

What do you mean by "Toole ambient quality like with dipoles" ? I asked Floyd Toole once for advice on dipoles and he referred me to Siegfried Linkwitz (RIP).
"Siegfried Linkwitz would be my "go to" person for cone-dome dipoles, but he, unfortunately, is seriously ill. I discuss his omnidirectional vs. dipole subjective comparison in Section 7.4.5."
Yes.

Sad that Linkwitz has died. Linkwitz had a JAES article 20 yrs ago doing some sophisticated listening tests with dipoles. His reached his final and highest level of satisfaction when he added a rear-facing tweeter. No kidding.

When I posted about more radiating surfaces that you quote, I was kind of speculating. But I'll stick with it

Certainly seems the present tendency on the loudspeaker forums is more recognition that ambient dipole sound quality is better than box sound (perhaps subs excepted). Just how somebody will make growing recognition fit into HornResp, I can not imagine.

B.

Rear-facing tweeters on dipoles is no kidding, it's a must.
I borrowed dipole subs concept from Linkwitz and use them througout with
my dipole mains. But I also use distributed bass Geddes-style.
And I am not an enemy of sealed DSP actives. Here Kii Three are my favorite.
Horses for courses.
PS. Sorry, don't get "radiating surfaces that you (I?) quote".

Last edited:
But you can no longer buy the drivers you use. But as I read between the lines of most of the things you say and write. Then it's more important to follow the right principles than chasing some specific piece of hardware.

That's untrue. I use the B&C 15NBX100, which is available now.

It is dangerous to try and read between the lines as one often interprets them through their own biases.

But yes, I agree that it is principles that rule, not devices. I could make a great system with JBL, Beyma, whatever, just so long as their hardware met my principles.

That's untrue. I use the B&C 15NBX100, which is available now.

It is dangerous to try and read between the lines as one often interprets them through their own biases.

But yes, I agree that it is principles that rule, not devices. I could make a great system with JBL, Beyma, whatever, just so long as their hardware met my principles.

That is why I ask - I try not to presume ;)

Ah - my bad. I only looked at parts-express and it was only the 8 ohm version that they did no longer have - 4 ohms is fine.

Another thing. When combining multiple subs and main speakers, then you wrote that it makes less problems with phase, by skipping a HP on the mains. Is it the multiple locations of the subs, that creates problems in relations to phase and FR, when it comes to intergration, if I have - lets say - 24dB LP on the subs and 24dB HP on the mains at 90hz?

I just see no reason for a X-over. I want as many sources around the room as I can have at LFs, so why would I cut-off two. It has nothing to do with phase really. That gets ironed out in the EQ. I want the subs well blended with the mains - X-overs don't do that.

Added number of sources make sense. Oh I see. That must have something to do with longer wavelenght and multiple located sources - must read up on that :cool:

I looked at the B&C 15” NBX100 specs and now see how it can have little intermodulation problems. It is pretty flat between 150-1000Hz, -3dB at 100Hz, -8dB at 80hz and -20dB at 30Hz! (minus twenty). Not much woofer work done under 80hz, especially in small boxes. But subs are a must of course.