Apex Junior amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Heh...I know you're browsing here Steve ;)

OK, so I'm in the process of assembling a 5.1 system for my new house, consisting of 5 Orient Express' and an unknown sub. The only problem I have right now is my receiver (a 1989 era NEC AV-300PRO):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So yeah, there is no subwoofer out...only option I have is to either:

1) Run the 'Front' Pre-out to the sub amp and route it back with the 'line-level' output on the amp to the 'Main in' RCA plugs
2) Run the 'Front' speaker outputs on the receievr to the 'high-level' inputs on the sub amp, and connect the speakers to the sub amp

Problem is that A) Not all budget/cheap sub amps have either dual RCAs (for line level input and output) and B) Not all sub amps have speaker outputs.

I've looked at the Apex Junior: http://www.apexjr.com/ApexJunior.htm but it's discontinued...any other good candidates? Prefer to stay UNDER $100.

Also, if I hooked up the sub in either of the situations above, would only the 'front' portion of my 5.1 speakers be a mid/high frequency speaker? What about the others? Would they be full-range? How can I avoid this (ie, all of them playing either mid/highs)?

Thanks, Brendan

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
G'day Brendan

That amp does have some nice features.
Am I right in thinking that the centre lower speaker output is high level to sub??

The receiver does have a mono output, perhaps you could use that as line level to the sub ( if the sub has a crossover control that you can use for line level control )
As that receiver has pre-outs for front right and left you do have the option in the future to buy a cheap stereo amp, it doesn't have to be a power amp and use it for the front speakers if you decide to make some big 3-ways in the future.
Regards
Ted

I leaning towards the AudioFIle and the M&K 250W ones...see to be good value: http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html

HOLD ON...I feel like an idiot (ie, I believe you're correct about the center thingy...if what I found checks out, then I could effectively build a 4.2 system....sweet :) ). Look:

See the hookup? The two center channels are to......SUBWOOFERS (the two blocky things without a tweeter...can't read japanese...please confirm)

Look at the pre-out center.....the word for subwoofer (I'm assuming) is there.....OMG WTF how did I not see this. So basically, is this an LFE port for the sub (One cable to the sub, one cable back?)? What's the difference between it and dual RCAs? What's the best way to hook up a sub now that I've discovered all three methods might work best?

...confused as hell, Brendan

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Others may wish to comment here, but looking at your options on the back of the amp, I'd use one of the MONO outputs to an amp or sub of your choice, using appropriate filters if it is a full range output ( ie: a sub input )
I dont think using the output for you front channel will do it, you will need to try various configurations and use whats best.
Sorry!! I wish I could be of more help.
Regards
Ted

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
A little detective work. :)

No sub channel, just 2 centres.

Attachments

• 1a1.gif
    1a1.gif
    40 KB · Views: 329
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Saw your email and did answer you back, and to let everyone here know I just got in some 100 Watt AB subamps and 150W
class D amps and hope to have them on the website soon
( by next week) They both should have all the bells and whistles
as the Apex "Junior"
The reason that amp was discontinued was that they wanted
me to buy 1000 at a time and just didn't have the money or the space in my warehouse to let it sit for so long.

Steve @ Apex Jr.

The only "quality, full range" output will be the front mains. The centers and surrounds will more than likely be high passed (because the assumption is small speakers in those positions) or questionable fidelity (again, assumption being less invested in effects speakers).

Sadly you do not have any options for an LFE sub, but in reality you don't need it and could just add a GOOD sub to the front mains and you would still get VERY good low end from music and movies.

troystg said:
BTW, why do you only have one front speaker hooked up?

And it looks like Bose speaker wire.... Ewww.... At least it's not Bose speakers on the other end right? :D :clown:

LOL that's exactly what is it right now....looking at building several Orient Express' for the 'surround'. I really didn't care about cable when I got it...because it was free. :p

MJL21193 said:
A little detective work. :)

No sub channel, just 2 centres.

Balls :( .

Thanks guys!

troystg said:
Option 2 is better IF the sub amp has a high pass built in!

If the Sub amp has full range outputs on the high out your better off just using "Y" cables and keeping the signal as close to the rx'er as possible with the sub in parallel.

y8s said:
Y connectors is best! you can only hurt the quality of the signals by running them through the sub plate amps "processing"

Hold up...how are the cables attached then? Are they bridging two RCAs to one, or two speaker cables to one?

Thanks for the replies, they help alot! Moondog, I will try that when I decide on an amp.

Brendan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.