Apex Junior amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remove ONE jumper and put the male ends of the "Y" cable in those two holes that the jumper was removed from.

Then remove the other jumper and plug in the two male ends of the second "Y" cable.

Run a long RCA patch cord to the sub and plug one end into the sub RCA's and the other end into the empty female connectors on the "Y" cables.

It doesn't matter which channel is which to the sub since it combines them into a mono signal.

Your done with the wiring.

Now comes the HARD part of tuning the sub to match the rest of the system.

Many hours of trial and error. Sprinkled with a few bottles of beer here and there makes the process more enjoyable. However the end product will not be perfect and you will have to repeat the tuning / drinking process multiple times...

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
cyberspyder said:
Thanks for the help....on another matter, has anyone used the Apex Super 8 woofer before? http://www.apexjr.com/Super8.htm

Here's how it looks in Unibox.
Vented 24 litre box, max output - 102db at 50 watts before you run out of excursion.
Port is fairly long (15 inches).

Attachments

• 1a1.gif
    1a1.gif
    45.7 KB · Views: 181
Heh...I know you're browsing here Steve ;)

OK, so I'm in the process of assembling a 5.1 system for my new house, consisting of 5 Orient Express' and an unknown sub. The only problem I have right now is my receiver (a 1989 era NEC AV-300PRO):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So yeah, there is no subwoofer out...only option I have is to either:

1) Run the 'Front' Pre-out to the sub amp and route it back with the 'line-level' output on the amp to the 'Main in' RCA plugs
2) Run the 'Front' speaker outputs on the receievr to the 'high-level' inputs on the sub amp, and connect the speakers to the sub amp

Problem is that A) Not all budget/cheap sub amps have either dual RCAs (for line level input and output) and B) Not all sub amps have speaker outputs.

I've looked at the Apex Junior: The Apex Junior Subwoofer Amp but it's discontinued...any other good candidates? Prefer to stay UNDER $100.

Also, if I hooked up the sub in either of the situations above, would only the 'front' portion of my 5.1 speakers be a mid/high frequency speaker? What about the others? Would they be full-range? How can I avoid this (ie, all of them playing either mid/highs)?

Thanks, Brendan

Thats a Real nice Reciever you got there!

Heh...I know you're browsing here Steve ;)

OK, so I'm in the process of assembling a 5.1 system for my new house, consisting of 5 Orient Express' and an unknown sub. The only problem I have right now is my receiver (a 1989 era NEC AV-300PRO):

So yeah, there is no subwoofer out...only option I have is to either:

1) Run the 'Front' Pre-out to the sub amp and route it back with the 'line-level' output on the amp to the 'Main in' RCA plugs
2) Run the 'Front' speaker outputs on the receievr to the 'high-level' inputs on the sub amp, and connect the speakers to the sub amp

Problem is that A) Not all budget/cheap sub amps have either dual RCAs (for line level input and output) and B) Not all sub amps have speaker outputs.

I've looked at the Apex Junior: The Apex Junior Subwoofer Amp but it's discontinued...any other good candidates? Prefer to stay UNDER $100.

Also, if I hooked up the sub in either of the situations above, would only the 'front' portion of my 5.1 speakers be a mid/high frequency speaker? What about the others? Would they be full-range? How can I avoid this (ie, all of them playing either mid/highs)?

Thanks, Brendan

Funny, after seeing this OLD thread again I JUST noticed there ARE outputs meant for a sub. They are not low-passed but ARE intended to be run to an active low-passed woofer.

Right next to the center channel loop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.