spec and box design for EOSONE 12 inch woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello !

I buy EOSONE 12 inch woofer. (RSP-912 woofer)

the spec is good, but I don't have SD and Xmax of this driver,
anyone know ?

I need help to build high SPL HT subwoofer BOX
what's the best BOX setup for this driver ?
tapped horn - TL - other type ???

I don't like sealed

BassBox software flat freq response 20-100hz 9 cu ft vented box.
but...I don't like vented box (port noise)

thanks in advance ! ;)

nicK

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

Sd can be estimated, but without specs it's hard to say beyond the fact that it will be big based on the BassBox sim. Estimating Xmax requires knowing the VC's length and the magnet's flux gap height, but I'd be surprised if it has a long enough Xmax required for true sub duty, so a large 4th order BP will probably your best bet.

GM

Eosone

I purchased an EOSONE 12 inch to build an inexpensive sub for a friend. I built both sealed and vented enclosures and was unsatisfied with either - not much output. The EOSONE was sitting around doing nothing when I read the TAPPED HORN thread. I decided to try building a tapped horn using COWANs 30Hz design.

http://www.cowanaudio.com/

His design is NOT optimized for the EOSONE, but the results are FAR better than either the sealed or vented enclosures. Xmax is probably around 5-6mm, not much. In a tapped horn the output is unbelievable for a single 12 inch. If you have the equipment and space to build a tapped horn, do it. The driver only costs $25, so you could build a second sub for $60 including wood and driver. Two of these corner loaded would probably make you (and other objects in the room) dance.

Just for reference the EOSONE has replaced an ADIRE TEMPEST 15 inch sub in a 9 cubic foot vented enclosure tuned to 20 Hz. I have two tempests and plan to use them in 15 Hz tapped horns :)

I'm very sad to read your reply zlast

because now I have 4 xls 8 inch Peerless and I'm not satisfied in my theater room. No bass presence, my "DALINE STYLE" silver flute 4x 5" loudspeaker make MORE MORE bass in my room of my 4x XLS8 powered subwoofer !

it's too late I BUY 4x of this EOSONE 12" subwoofer because the price is GOOD and the freq reponse is very good FS 23hz with 91db. I'M SAD :bawling:

With simulation software at 6mm xmax 1 sub is able to make 20hz 110db it's not good for hi-fi HT subwoofer ?

thankS

nicK

nickthevoice said:
I calculate the box with HORNRESP software ?

or you have good site : TAPPED HORN SUBWOOFER for DUMMIES ? ;)

Yes.

Hornresp HELP files. With its sliding adjusters TH Wizard anybody that can use a computer can create one and there's a wealth of info along with dozens of examples on the various TH threads, especially the huge main one.

GM

There isn't a DALINE one per se, but it can be simmed using the BLH worksheet (WS).

No tapped horn (WS) either.

His WSs were freeware for the DIYer at one time, but the few ruin it for the many, so when folks started using them for profit he now charges a $25 USA annual renewal fee for more advanced WSs: http://www.quarter-wave.com/Models/MathCad_Models.html

The Classic TL designer is still freeware, but you'll need his TL WSs to sim them: http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alignment_Tables.pdf

BTW, you going to post the driver's specs you're using? Folks can't potentially help much without them.

GM

if anybody want to help me to design the BEST flat freq 20-80hz with max SPL tapped horn subwoofer I send the spec here ;)

not really WAF restriction for the size because is in home theater room. no restriction in height (max 7 foot) no trouble but not too deep or wide box because I have 4 subwoofer.

EOSONE 12 inch :
# Ohm rating is 4 ohms
# Power 250 watts RMS
# 2 inch voice coil
# SPL is 91db at 1 watt at one meter
# Freq. Response 20 Hz. to 1500 Hz.
# Part Number on the woofer is 1RD0001-2
# FS - 23.8926 Hz.
# Revc - 3.2038
# Zmax - 21.2296 ohms
# Qes - 0.5382
# Qms - 3.0342
# Qts - 0.4571
# Le - 2.0306 mH (at 1 kHz)
# Vas - 176.2302 L
# Xmax 6 mm (not sure)

T H A N K S :cool: !!!

nicK

Hmm, this driver's specs isn't going to give you 20-80 Hz 'flat', though a ~721 L net TH can be EQ'd flat from ~18-100 Hz and since you have four you could build four smaller cabs to either stack or spread around the room.

Corner loaded, 16 W to reach 7 mm excursion:

GM

Attachments

• eosone 1rd0001-2 12.45-88.48 hz conic th.gif
    eosone 1rd0001-2 12.45-88.48 hz conic th.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 349
Re: Eosone

zlast said:

I decided to try building a tapped horn using COWANs 30Hz design.

His design is NOT optimized for the EOSONE, but the results are FAR better than either the sealed or vented enclosures.

Interesting! We know that the build isn't quite the same as what HR predicts and the specs are suspect, but FWIW, here's the sim of it in a corner. Care to describe how yours performs in a bit more detail Vs the sim?:

GM

Attachments

• eosone 1rd0001-2 in 30 hz tapped horn (w. cowan).gif
    eosone 1rd0001-2 in 30 hz tapped horn (w. cowan).gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 352
30 Hz TH

Interesting! We know that the build isn't quite the same as what HR predicts and the specs are suspect, but FWIW, here's the sim of it in a corner. Care to describe how yours performs in a bit more detail Vs the sim?:

Well if you read the entire account of building the 30Hz tapped horn on Mr.Cowans page, you may notice there is some "confusing" information regarding throat size in the writing verses the diagrams. I ended up using a 150cm throat, which gives a more peaky response curve verses the 300cm throat with the EOSONE driver. The output is unbelievable for the wattage and a single cheap 12. Nick, if you have the tools, spend $20 on some osb plywood and make a cheap tapped horn, then let your ears decide.

OK, then how does it compare to this corner loaded sim (shaded = ~300 cm^2 throat)? Just trying to get a feel for its in-room Vs simmed response since I'm currently unable to do any building/testing of my own.

GM

Attachments

• eosone 1rd0001-2 in 30 hz tapped horn (w. cowan - small throat).gif
    eosone 1rd0001-2 in 30 hz tapped horn (w. cowan - small throat).gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 317
Eosone

GM said:
OK, then how does it compare to this corner loaded sim (shaded = ~300 cm^2 throat)? Just trying to get a feel for its in-room Vs simmed response since I'm currently unable to do any building/testing of my own.

Well I do not have any equipment to get an accurate in room response. I do have a NHT 1259 in 3ft3 sealed and ADIRE tempest 15 in a 9ft3 vented at 20 Hz. First corner loading the tapped horn makes a BIG difference - both in output and extension (see pic - mouth is located closest to corner of room) If you were using a single TH you would probably want it located right next to you, or in the corner diagonal from you. On "WAR OF THE WORLDS" eruption scene it feels like someone is re-arranging your internal organs. The high efficiency/low distortion is what really has me hooked for home theater. IF you have any suggestions on how to measure its output I would be happy to attempt to do so and relay the information.

Attachments

• corner-laod.gif
    corner-laod.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 300
nickthevoice said:
okay okay I try TAPPED HORN !!! :D

but for TH eosone 12 inch what's the SIZE of this box ?

this TH have sealed section or this is a type with reverse subwoofer ? many many type of TH is possible what's the BEST ?

T H A N K S ;) !

Here is a picture of a tapped horn (without one side attached) You can see the hole for the driver. THe driver can be mounted either facing in or out. The nice thing about the 30 Hz design is the mouth (open part in front of driver) is large enough you can install the driver after making the enclosure. This makes it so you can remove the driver or replace it if needed. For how big is it - outside dimensions are 73 inches X 14 inches X 17 inches approximately.

Attachments

• tappedhorn1.jpg
    tappedhorn1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 338
I'M CONFUSED !

It's look like TL subwoofer, I don't know how it works but. HORN = EXPONENTIAL no ?

in this picture i don't view box start little size and finish big ?

what's the difference between Back loaded horn vs Tapped Horn ?

p.s. I know one thing.......I don't want BIG DROP at 20HZ ! that's it :)

the setup on this picture is TH or BLH ?

nicK

Attachments

• horn.jpg
    horn.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 295
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.