Hornresp

The problem is 99% of people are not building cylinder shaped horn subwoofers.

Why should that be a problem?

Conical (straight) and exponential (curved) segments mean the top, bottom, and both sides are expanding. 99% of the people are not building those enclosures either.

Again, why is that an issue?

The only horn profile that 99% of people are building is parabolic, whether the horn is negative, straight, or positive flare or the enclosure is direct radiator or bandpass...I E square or rectangular enclosures.

In that case, presumably they will choose the Par flare option in any simulations done using Hornresp.

A circle can be converted to a square.

Not sure that I understand. Do you mean that a circle can be converted to a square:

Having its side length equal to the circle diameter,
Having its diagonal length equal to the circle diameter,
Having an equivalent perimeter length,
or
Having an equivalent area?

4 or more expanding sides cannot be converted to 2 expanding sides PHYSICALLY.

Again, I am not sure what you mean. As mentioned previously, it is how the cross-sectional area changes with axial length that determines the horn type, not what it may physically look like.

Consider the following very simple example of a conical horn having:

S1 = 2500 cm^2
S2 = 10000 cm^2
L12 (Con) = 100 cm

Axisymmetric conical horn:

Diameter profile:

Attach_1.png

Equivalent square cross-section conical horn with throat 50 cm x 50 cm and mouth 100 cm x 100cm:

Height profile:

Attach_2.png

Width profile:

Attach_3.png

Equivalent rectangular cross-section conical horn with throat 50 cm x 50 cm and mouth 50 cm x 200 cm:

Height profile:

Attach_4.png

Width profile:

Attach_5.png

In all three cases the cross-sectional area expands at the same rate from 2500 cm^2 to 10000 cm^2 along the 100 cm length of the conical horn.

Reactions: 1 user