stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
@Booger weldz
directly via driver parameter input mask. will be included in the next update:

buy.png

:giggle:

Reactions: 3 users
This would be an incredibly high BL 10 inch I think. Possible to do, but what happens when you raise the BL to very high levels your Fs goes up, your efficiency also goes up. Fs free air and in an enclosure are two very different things, but you need to understand that as well. I have done 18 inch subwoofers with a Qts of 0.123. Over damped. But they could move a lot of air.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Im new to hornresp and not very good in mathematics or speaker theory in general, so pleasy forgive me, but im trying to learn :)

I am going to build the Inlow 135hz Horn, and in time some conical horns for double 15incc drivers. This is my rig today:

View attachment 1317354

but I have decided to try out conical midbasshorns, 15inch for 80hz-250hzish, and 8inch in inlowhorns for 250hz-600hz. I want to see if this can give more detailed male vocal pronouncement than 15inch alone. Im considering several options:

View attachment 1317357

But for now im trying to simulate the 135hz Inlowhorns in hornresp to understand what parameters are good, and whats not.

I have had quite large conicals with 15" mid bass drivers.
Then shorter exponential with 15s which developed into longer 12".

The 15" driver conicals and the longer 12" driver exponentials were the pick of the straight horns.

Now I'm using the SH50s with 12" drivers.
Part horn, part bass reflex that do down close to 50Hz and upto 325Hz.
These are the pick for me.

It's a bit horses for courses but overall performance and the kick bass is best from the SH50s!

Hornresp Update 5610-240612

Hi Everyone,

CHANGE

Strouhal number limit lines can now be added to the loudspeaker wizard port outlet velocity and Strouhal number charts by pressing the L key when either chart is visible.

The default Strouhal number limit value is 1 but it can be changed to 1.5 or 2 by the user for the duration of the Hornresp session by pressing the plus (+) or minus (-) keys.

On the port outlet velocity chart if the peak particle velocity is less than the specified limit then the limit line will be green, otherwise it will be red. Attachments 1 and 2 refer.

On the Strouhal number chart if the Strouhal number is greater than the specified limit then the limit line will be green, otherwise it will be red. Attachments 3 and 4 refer.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Attach_3.png
    Attach_3.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Attach_4.png
    Attach_4.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Thank You
Reactions: 4 users
Strouhal number limit lines can now be added to the loudspeaker wizard port outlet velocity and Strouhal number charts by pressing the L key when either chart is visible.
Maybe for those who haven't totally followed the background story behind this, it would be handy to give a small and brief summary what it is and why it could be important?

Reactions: 1 users

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
it just goes to an update message
Yes, that was the first hornresp update including strouhal number output.
In the description of updates david mentioned:
For further specific details on the Hornresp Strouhal number feature, search for the text string stro (the minimum required) using the Help File > Find tool.
But I agree, strouhal number is not (yet) that well known in the diy community.

We need to start a strouhal number thread!

But I still would like to test some more ports to get a reliable and usable strouhal number limit.

But I agree, strouhal number is not (yet) that well known in the diy community.
Well in almost any field incl professionals 😉

I doubt most loudspeaker engineers are even very familiar with it, unless they have a solid background in thermodynamics.

Btw, this is not bad criticism but I think it's important to have at least a easy to understand explanation ready.

For example what does a low vs high number mean and why is the limit at a St of 1?

I think that's better than sending people into the woods (= thread)

I have been following this part of your topic on the sideline, so I can't just quickly come up with something myself without running the risk of getting some of the nuances wrong.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ok, so here is a quick sum up of strouhal number concept as described in papers including comments following my test results:

Strouhal number is used to determin the limit of laminar oscillating air flow at a port exit and it is defined as

St = (Port radius) / (air particle displacement)

*Particle displacement: peak one way displacement

papers state that below a strouhal number of 1 there will be an unsteady separation of airflow.
Following my tests this lowers port output, creates noise and increases distorsion (mainly H3).

For serious music reproduction the strouhal number should always stay above 1 and preferrably further above (1.5 - 2 - but that's still to be evaluated).

Strouhal number is referring to the port exit thus it will only be calculated for external port end air velocity in hornresp.

The negative effects associated when crossing strouhal number 1 are slightly less severe with straight low roundover radius tube ports, but those ports start to compress, distort and make chuffing noises already at very low levels.

So following my experience keeping strouhal number above 1 (or higher) is most relevant with high quality flared ports.

Last edited:
  • Thank You