The remote control paratactic volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it just me or does it look far too complicated for what it needs to do? It's not too diufficult to make an attenuator that has 2^N steps (N being the number of relay contacts), and has any dB per step value you want, using 2*N + 1 resistors, that also has constant output and input resistance regardless of the setting, and can be driven by a binary combination to address the attenuation needed, dirtectly?

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
OK, let's revive this post...

ilimzn said:
Is it just me or does it look far too complicated for what it needs to do? It's not too diufficult to make an attenuator that has 2^N steps (N being the number of relay contacts), and has any dB per step value you want, using 2*N + 1 resistors, that also has constant output and input resistance regardless of the setting, and can be driven by a binary combination to address the attenuation needed, dirtectly?

Can someone (ilimzn perhaps) please guide me to a circuit for this " 2^N steps (N being the number of relay contacts), and has any dB per step value you want, using 2*N + 1 resistors, that also has constant output and input resistance regardless of the setting, and can be driven by a binary combination " type of volume control / attenuator.

I would appreciate the circuit for the control system as well as the attenuator.

Many thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.