simple amplifier for turntable synchronous motor drive

I've been looking for a suitable circuit to make a moderate voltage but low power amplifier, suitable for amplifying a line-level sinewave to drive a Rega turntable 24v synchronous motor. The Rega PSU has a rating of only 100mA, so that was a boundary condition for the current output.

AN106_excerpt.png

This example circuit in Horowitz & Hill (2nd edition, from my student days!), from an Analog Devices application note, looked promising for this application. It uses op-amp supply current sensing to activate the PNP and NPN output devices when additional current is required, a potential divider on the op-amp output to provide the required load whilst protecting it from the larger output voltage swing, and global voltage feedback to set the overall gain. Neat!

Simulating a modified version (non-inverting, zener references) using fairly generic parts looked OK, so I made a 'parts-bin' prototype of the circuit shown below. I only had a limited range of op-amps to hand, so have tried a few - OPA134, TL071, and even a LM741. The only critical component for stability was going to be C1 for the current feedback loop.

Schematic_spinamp.png

Step response was good with the OPA134 but it was fairly critical on C1 (~100pF) otherwise instability loomed; with the TL071 the response was also good, but it was far more tolerant to the value of C1, with anything from about 500pF-5nF being acceptable, so settled on 1nF; even the LM741 gave a respectable response at the output, although the op-amp feedback and output signals were rather less pretty.

ref5b.png
ref5c.png

The step response at 70Hz (around the target frequencies for turntable motor drive) is shown above, along with that at 5kHz, showing good stability and transient behaviour. The output waveform and spectrum of the running system, driven by a synthesised sinewave and driving the turntable, is show below.

ref5a.png

I've now produced a PCB for the 2-channel amplifier, Gerbers attached.

PCB_PCB_spinamp_v1.1.png
20210317_210756.png

Full details also on my GitHub

Attachments

• spinamp_guide.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Gerber_PCB_spinamp_v1.1.zip
    74.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Gerber_PCB_spinamp_HV.zip
    30.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Where's the fun if you don't do it the discrete parts way? ;)
FWIW, Elektor published a few versions of audio output stages driven from the rails of an opamp - dating from the 1980s, I think. The attached schematic is the simplest Mosfet version but BJT and better versions turned up in their circuit pages occasionally too. Google will find them without much effort.

Attachments

• f15592736b8f143c7749aec67363f6ed.gif
    f15592736b8f143c7749aec67363f6ed.gif
    133.2 KB · Views: 171
Simple? Perhaps 30 years ago. With chip amps or readily available class D modules this is unnecessarily complicated.
In the PDF attachment is an example therefore.
What I don't understand is the adjustment procedure of the sine wave oscillator.

1) Tr2 and Tr3 are for pre adjustment for 33 rpm speed in such kind, that P2A/B (outdoor adjustment therefore) provide the correct speed in the middle position - but how get I best synchronisation of P2A and P2B ?

2) What is the aim of TR4 ?

Only the function of Tr1 I understand - it is a level adjust for one motor winding half - the adjust is perform in such kind, that a minimum of mech. hum level is present.

Thank you for an advice.

Attachments

• Dr Fuß 50 Hz Linn LP12 Motorcontrol clone.pdf
    274.9 KB · Views: 114