Best solder sucking solution?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Friends;
My repair hobby seems to be keeping me busy these days. It seems like it is time to 'bite the bullet' and invest in a good solder removal tool. I understand there are some expensive gadgets out there, in neighbourhood of $400 (Canadian) and more. Just wondering if there are cheaper effective solutions and/or if I am going to spend that kind of money, which way should I go?
Thanks for any guidance. My application will be likely almost daily use.
Peter in Canada

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Denon SC7000 is terrific but I managed to kill it while removing the tip (after many years of use). Although prices are intimidating I found mine for way less then.

For daily use you need a reliable tool which the Denon is. I used it a lot and probably should have replaced the tip earlier.

I have been using the cheapo S-993A for over a year now and it has made desoldering fun rather than a pain in the rear * , I’m just a DIYer and not do this for a living but I really love the tool and they even sale spare parts for it.

There are many reviews and videos about it, take a look!!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Same with a good hot air tool for SMD rework. I picked up a METCAL HCT-900 recently. Expensive, but I am kicking myself for spending a good chunk of money on heat guns - including a Weller one - before just getting the right tool.

A good tool is half the job. I also generally find that with tools I don't need to use all that often, I tend to blow a bunch of money on cheap tools only to buy the tool I actually wanted when my need increases. So get the quality tool upfront. It's actually the cheaper solution.

I would look at the Weller desoldering products. It looks like the iron itself is ~$400 USD. Followed by some amount of money for the power/sucking unit itself.

The Apex P/N: T0051320599N (Digikey T0051320599N-ND) looks attractive. Apex Tool Group seems to have bought Weller. I don't know if this is a new thing or if I just hadn't noticed.

Don't underestimate the power of a good solder sucker. The Jonard DP200 is my favourite (Digikey: K414-ND). The one I used for the past (nearly) 20 years finally wore out last year and I immediately bought a new one. I get by with that and solder wick.

Tom

Ever since equipment for through hole electronics was given away (when telecom
industry changed to SMD only) I celebrate after each use of the soldering tools.
Soldering was Weller and I got plenty of those. Desoldering was Pace MBT 101 and
with the standard SP-2A vacuum pen and a Thermo Tweez TT-65 for SMD removal you
can use your energy for the main job. On Pace MBT you can reverse the air flow
and do hot air soldering of SMD components. A pedal switch can be used to start
the pump if you have a shortage of free hands/arms. Spare tips for both brands
are still available. The Pace station is also a nice miniature blow-torch with
temperature and flow control if you want to tweak the reeds in your wood-wind
muscical instrument.

If you want an effective manual solder removal pump, get an Edsyn Soldapullt (whichever model suits your needs). I have the plain old DS-017. Inexpensive, really works well and will last a lifetime.

Even if you end up getting an automatic, heated desoldering tool with pump, I'm sure you'll find one of these handy for some jobs.

Thanks Everyone for all the advice so far

Hi Ejp; I have considered buying a Chinese 'off--brand' . I see units available in Canada (digikey) that look nice. Why do you have a stock of Zhongdi pump diaphrams? I would have thought tips and filters would be the parts to have as spares?
Thanks, Peter in Canada
PS, Is Zhongdi a reputable name? I see a number of unfamiliar names producing desoldering equipment. Would Zhongdi be the only one to chance, you mentioned a number of badges.

I am leaning towards Hakko, but I have not shopped this to death yet. Just trying to suppress my 'inner Macgyver'

Attachments

• vac pump.jpg
    vac pump.jpg
    757.9 KB · Views: 207
You should certainly have spare filters and nozzles and cleaners, and even a spare gun. I have the diaphragms because they do fail, and can be broken, and because they are unobtainium. Took me a year to track them down so I bought a stock, mostly to make the postage make sense. $2 a pair from me.

ZD is pretty reputable, they make a lot of them, and mine is now four years old and still going strong, but it is cheap stuff of course. There's another discussion of them here somewhere.

EJP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.