Best solder sucking solution?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you want an effective manual solder removal pump, get an Edsyn Soldapullt (whichever model suits your needs). I have the plain old DS-017. Inexpensive, really works well and will last a lifetime.

Even if you end up getting an automatic, heated desoldering tool with pump, I'm sure you'll find one of these handy for some jobs.

The Edsyn along with a Metcal iron is very effective. I have a Metcal desoldering tool that uses a 50 PSI
with a venturi vacuum generator (MUCH faster 'rise time' than a motorized pump) and don't use it. The Edsyn
does just fine. I use a Metrcal STTC-126 tip which has a bent tip that can fit inside most plated through holes to
clear out the old solder. The only time this is a problem (and is a problem for all tools) is a solid ground plane
internal to the board. You cannot get enough energy through the wire. The solution to that is to use a second
tool but this time a hot air tool set to just below the solder melting poin so that you do not "blow off" any surface
mount parts near by. 15-20 seconds of hot air will get melted totally through and the Edsyn can the clear the hole.

Hi Guys; Thanks again for all the info. I have this on loan from a from a friend and will let you know how it works for me!

Attachments

• DSCN1949.jpg
    DSCN1949.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 152
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.