Seeking Electrocompaniet knowledge, or maybe just general knowledge

as_audio,
not using emitter resistors is simply outrageous. Emitter resistors are mandatory for every reason regardless of device technique. This also includes the predrivers.
In this context, operational reliability is not a matter of cost. There is no virtue in upholding bad practices.

Did a series of tests powering up one of the amps with no bulb limiter and softstart bypassed. No problems. I would prefer to include a softstart circuit though, and are currently looking at a few options. One option that crossed my mind is to keep the relay and limit resistor, and tapping in to the DC on PSU board driving a delay circuit based on a 555. I have a few of those already

Some useful soft start circuits here:

Soft-Start Circuit For Power Amps

Will run of secondary side instead of the mains side. If you want to run at lower voltage a good soft start will run it's own supply though (separate transformer) to avoid any issues with fuses not blowing under fault conditions, if the main amplifier supply voltage doesn't reach full voltage it can stop the soft start relay engaging. Could result in the soft start resistor smoking/catching fire and the fuse will never blow...

I had planned to update and end this thread earlier but spare time is scarce. Anyhow, I went out and got myself a scope, had to learn how to use it. Then I built a iteration of the circuit in the latest link. This has worked nicely and amps has been in use for some time now. A (late) thanks to all contributions

Attachments

• 20201017_160315.jpg
    20201017_160315.jpg
    990.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited: