Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Clamping using DIN916 screw, KFT nut and big washer?

Continuing with temperature sensor and cooler supplies and controls.

JP

Great design, JPS64. If you can provide a list of the actual commercial CPU cooler heatsinks you designed bolt holes for that would be great. Will standoffs or spacers be needed and how thick if you have that info?

The attachment shows the templates for the possible CPU-cooler. The builder could buy what they want, it´s lost time to do a list, sorry X (the list would be to long).

The CPU-cooler datasheets don´t give details about spacers, don´t give much details at all (only says compatible to a type of CPU socket; 9mm is the gap you measured for the Dell CPU-cooler, admitting 5mm thickness for mosfet, 2mm PCB thickness, we´ve 2mm gap for clamping):
- decide, according template what cooler you want to use; small plate or bigger plate is the only important point to consider
- smaller CPU-cooler plate needs for 3 mosfet version adapter plate
- mount bended mosfet(s) but don´t solder them yet
- use mica or what you want for thermal coupling
- clamp them using DIN916 screw (KFT nut press-fitted into PCB) and big washer
- secure screw

I would recommending NOCTUA NH-D9L (NF-A9 fan, 4p. connector, 12V, PWM, TAC) and only two mosfet version.

In fact, we´ve to built different versions.

In fact, I´m still braining...

Comments, suggestions are welcome!

I´ll use following electronic for temperature sensing and fan control:
- LM96063 (2N3904 CPU-cooler plate clamped)
- Atmel micro
- OLED
1.3inch OLED (A - Waveshare Wiki)

Here the specification:
http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\4_Wire_PWM_Spec.pdf

JP

Attachments

• CPU-COOLER.png
    CPU-COOLER.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 774
  • Madenschraube-M5x8-VA.gif
    Madenschraube-M5x8-VA.gif
    148.5 KB · Views: 758
  • edelstahl-scheiben-karosseriescheiben-art-9054-a2-v2a--edelstahl-karoscheiben-art-9054-a2-25x84x.png
    edelstahl-scheiben-karosseriescheiben-art-9054-a2-v2a--edelstahl-karoscheiben-art-9054-a2-25x84x.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 748
  • smt.jpg
    smt.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 745
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks Irribeo:)
After looking into this and seeing how many options there are for fan control, I believe that decision should be left up to the builder of the unique amplifier they are building and not integrated on the ALPHA pcb.
Just my two cents.

Thanks Irribeo:)
After looking into this and seeing how many options there are for fan control, I believe that decision should be left up to the builder of the unique amplifier they are building and not integrated on the ALPHA pcb.
Just my two cents.

I believe many people run into trouble if they have to resolve the fan control or many of them will step back because of the challenge unless if readily available PC board, parts components etc. on eBay or any other places. For example, I built several dozen amplifiers but this solution would be new to me. I like DIY when I can enjoy it some challenge but not overly challenging. The best would be if someone builds a prototype and we could follow that.

I working on my own layout using a Big sized heatsink for the Big Boy! That is one solution. I do wait for X to build and text the Big Boy in real life.:) Simulation is one think reallife is another. ;)

Almost finished...
I need to find a good replacement for DMMT5401 transistor.
I have some old Toshiba transistors at hand I have to look them up.

Still missing the input because the mentioned transistor, I did work a lot on this layout, not much room to maneuver around :D

Attachments

• Aleph 5 mod 2.GIF
    Aleph 5 mod 2.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Working on layout for my Alpha 20w:

not sure if heatsinks will mount horizontally, or vertically. I have a few different sized chassis plates that I could use, or just as easily make my own from 3mm aluminum.

Trying to optimize location of low level input and any a/c, among other things.

Anyone else starting to plan out layout?

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_4261.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 627
Working on layout for my Alpha 20w:

not sure if heatsinks will mount horizontally, or vertically. I have a few different sized chassis plates that I could use, or just as easily make my own from 3mm aluminum.

Trying to optimize location of low level input and any a/c, among other things.

Anyone else starting to plan out layout?

Looking good!

I took my good old 4U chassis and took it apart, was wondering about heatsinks but maybe I'm going with cpu coolers also. You have a link where to get those you use?

Juntuin, I just noticed your jbl horn system. Very similar to mine I just started putting together.

I built some 5cu/ft boxes, loaded with 2225's.

Currently I have PRV WG35-25-B with B&C DE-250. I have a pair of 2380s, and some 2445's. I might try that combo, and use the prv/250 combo5k and up or so.

I'm planning on using the 20w Alpha I'm building to drive the horns, currently driving with an F5 clone.

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 543
Whoa, that's one cool looking system you have there. Really like that reflex pipe layout! I think ACA's 5-6w have been enough for me (2445J) gets really loud.

Aleph 5's worked really well driving 2225H's, so going to try Alpha with them at first. If there's not enough power->Alpha to 2445J's and dartzeel to 2225H's, it's nice to have some amps to play around :)