Krell KSA 50 PCB

AndrewT said:
Hi Rjk,
the LEDs are the wrong way round.

You still have all your good caps split either side of the 0r5 resistors. I repeat myself because I believe it is important that the final caps meet or get close to the amplifier's cap requirements.

The fuses ahead of the rectifiers and caps will see a big current at start up so you need T rated and big values, but then they provide little or no protection. Much better to put them after the caps then use F rated and lower values. Try about 50% of peak output current ( 8r needs F2.5A and 4r needs F5A).

Thanks Andrew....I really appreciate the help!
Robert

Mr. Erath (aka "the wire burner" because he swings his soldering iron around aimlessly in devices :)) has MULTIPLE scars on his right hand...

He constantly reaches in and grabs (snatches is a better term for him) tubes and what not out of live gear. But you will always see him with his left hand in his pocket holding his "other tool"....

Anyway, I'm all for bleeder resistors, but he is living proof (80 something) that they are not absolutely needed. The LED and dropping resistor should be good once it goes live in your system...

He built me a new version of his "feedback controller network" for the new bi-amp speakers this Krell will be the top of... eventually.

Anyway, back to the parts GB....

The kits are ready, I was waiting for the US folks to confirm / deny usability. So it appears that only the diodes and Zeners are an issue, and only mislabeled. They are the correct parts, just not labeled correctly.

I will start shipping the OCONUS orders next week.

I will then start kitting up the left over parts and see if there are any "kits" left and available to sell. Will prolly be 4-8 channels...

ONCE I CONFIRM that, it will be first come first serve. Sorry but I DON'T have time to read email and take orders for parts not even kitted yet...

kmj said:
it took me a while to check but finally i got it
OCONUS= overseas :D

O ut of CON tinental US.... OCONUS. Sorry old military term.. Damn bad habits I'm still trying to break... :) When they say they will drill it into you they aren't kidding. But I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Four paralleled 800 Watt TWT's phased matched transmitting at ___ gig to a spot you can't even see it the sky....

Flying aboard a "com plane" that could transmit on any band from 19 KHz (VLF) to ___ GHz.

Do the math on a 19kHz antenna.... We used a "short" one at 5 MILES long....

Sorry the good times just come flooding back...

It's just amazing that the cell phone we use to browse the Internet came from military research for "secure" communications.

rabstg said:
Mr. Erath (aka "the wire burner" because he swings his soldering iron around aimlessly in devices :)) has MULTIPLE scars on his right hand...

He constantly reaches in and grabs (snatches is a better term for him) tubes and what not out of live gear. But you will always see him with his left hand in his pocket holding his "other tool"....

Sound scaringly like our old telemetry gnome......
Does Mr. Erath also keep disconnecting or parallelling input and output lines.. unplugging mains cables....??

Anybody who knows where to buy PCBs for the KSA 50 or KSA 100 ????

Well, the Pinkmouse boards are ALOT more flexible than Jan's design. ....which is the whole reason Al did it. Al's also lacks the protection curcuitry which was not on the original amps and is really not needed.

Boards are 14.00 each plus priority shipping of 3.95 in the U.S., let me know how many you need. I am now only taking PayPal for payment though. I am also thinking about talking to the local Surplus Dealer (Ra-Elco) here in SLC to see if he wants to handle all the future board sales for me. I am really just too busy at work these days! They can also put together all the passive parts you'd need for a standard rail version of the Klone. Let me know what you guys think on me doing this....... I'll be shipping out several orders on Tuesday to folks so if you want any boards nows a good time.

MINE IS DONE!

With a three day weekend at hand I have been able to finish up my KSA-50. This time with actual real metal case TO-3 MJ21193 and MJ21194 devices courtesy of the ton of QSC rebuilds that I do. This gives me an extra 300 watts of device dissipation per channel. It is running just fine in the stripped out Smart(?) 6 channel amplifier chassis. I have to just finish re-installing the thermally controled fan system on the back of the heat sinks, set the bias and offset and its all done... finally!

I also ordered one of those 2kva transformers for it and I stack mounted the two 400 VA trannies that I have now and left plenty of room for the 2 kva unit when it scomes in. I will offer those two trannies to others on this thread after I do the swap. Still awaiting delivery of the boat anchor though.....

I also have a bunch of used but perfectly good TO-3 MJ21193, 94 devices most with a 9712 date code. But I will only offer these for sale to those purchasing boards.

Mark

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:

Well, the Pinkmouse boards are ALOT more flexible than Jan's design. ....which is the whole reason Al did it. Al's also lacks the protection curcuitry which was not on the original amps and is really not needed.

Boards are 14.00 each plus priority shipping of 3.95 in the U.S., let me know how many you need. I am now only taking PayPal for payment though. I am also thinking about talking to the local Surplus Dealer (Ra-Elco) here in SLC to see if he wants to handle all the future board sales for me. I am really just too busy at work these days! They can also put together all the passive parts you'd need for a standard rail version of the Klone. Let me know what you guys think on me doing this....... I'll be shipping out several orders on Tuesday to folks so if you want any boards nows a good time.

MINE IS DONE!

With a three day weekend at hand I have been able to finish up my KSA-50. This time with actual real metal case TO-3 MJ21193 and MJ21194 devices courtesy of the ton of QSC rebuilds that I do. This gives me an extra 300 watts of device dissipation per channel. It is running just fine in the stripped out Smart(?) 6 channel amplifier chassis. I have to just finish re-installing the thermally controled fan system on the back of the heat sinks, set the bias and offset and its all done... finally!

I also ordered one of those 2kva transformers for it and I stack mounted the two 400 VA trannies that I have now and left plenty of room for the 2 kva unit when it scomes in. I will offer those two trannies to others on this thread after I do the swap. Still awaiting delivery of the boat anchor though.....

I also have a bunch of used but perfectly good TO-3 MJ21193, 94 devices most with a 9712 date code. But I will only offer these for sale to those purchasing boards.

Mark

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :confused: :bawling: :rolleyes: :xeye:

choky is rude now........

;)

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:

Still waiting on my trafo from them too. Appearantly the third party supplier (Bel Canto?) isn't very quick with shipment. I should hope that it is well worth the wait.

~Brad

My camera is at work sitting on my desl so I will post photos next week when I get back from my servcie trip to Montana.

Having it running again only reinforces how special this amp really is and why many reviewers still use it as a refereence amp. I listened to it for a day at about half bias level or 200mv per device. Its accepable at that level but not an extrodinary amp. This morning I took the bias to 400mv per device and man what a difference! Its like the whole musical world has opened up again! I can't wait to try that 2KVA toroid in there!

Mark