What is the consensus of best amplifier topology TODAY??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I love Zappa too!! So there!!! :p

But *I* got to see him every year at his Halloween concerts.. at the Academy of Music (aka: Palladium) in NYC!!!
Multiple other times too... for instance at SUNY Stonybrook.. and other "hockey stadium" venues...
(The Ny Academy of Music was an "old school" small musical-theater.)

So he perhaps might have a glance into the Naim thread? These amplifiers are clearly based on old RCA designs, but modified in a certain way to add even order harmonics and
So finally we DO have an answer to "what amp" !!!

It has been shown that he, e.g., has quite another point of view (a more emotional one) on music than me, e.g. - which has to be well respected
Indeed! And to precisely the same degree as Mr. Piraña
If he prefers listening to medical equipment that's his absolute right!!!!
And we must defend it!
That is the price of freedom.

Perhaps there's an "in-between-road?
IE: not overly "clinical", not overly "romantic"....
Which brings us back to the OP... again..........

Though, somehow, I don't think I'll be listening to Mr. Dieter Burmester's gear... R.I.P.

Ya never know though.....

I don't listen to music just because I like it,
WOW! You're right! That IS unusual....
instead I prefer music that is good
And of course, there IS an objective standard for this? And one that's universally agreed to...
Or.. maybe its just like "best amp".........

in terms of intelligent composition
(e.g. by using complex rhythms, frequent changes in tempo, counterpoint, polyrhythm, polymeters, complex lyrics etc.)
and interpretation, measured by skills on instruments and/or vocals.
In short: Music that gets right into my brain and challenges my mind.
Commercial music that just satisfies most peoples demands is quite out of scope for me.
You might be surprised to find... that I agree ABSOLUTELY with this!!!
You might even agree, that your description means... its.. interesting...
Where we part company, is that I LIKE INTERESTING!!!
So it all comes back to emotion and like-ing... again..
At least for me.

I totally agree with you, it's all about facts.
The input signal is a fact that an electroacoustical devices, or a chain of devices, has to see as a fact,
i.e. to amplify and reproduce it without adding anything strange.
The ideal electroacoustic device mustn't have any sound - unless it is part of a musical Instrument itself.
We're still in search of this ideal, I have to admit.
We do agree on this! and thank you for bringing it up and reminding me that I meant to...
So here's a FACT:
NO microphone, recording device, nor anything else in the recording/playback chain faithfully reproduces the "intent of the artist".
Where we differ.... is that, that fact, makes the BEST argument for equipment (and music) THAT YOU LIKE
rather than seeking the "perfectly accurate"!!!!
Conversely, when listening to music LIVE.... I insist on perfectly accurate..

Incidentally.. I happen to have an RR tape, recorded by me, of a local Gentle Giant concert... Broadcast "direct to air" by a local station with a very strong/clean signal..
Circa 1977/78.. Only 7-1/2 IPS though...
I was a big fan of them too, back then...

- that it should be unique, adventurous and fascinating.
It certainly was that!
Big part of why I liked it.
Also cuz... well... I just liked it..

To be honest, the alternative facts; were a little pun of mine on Fakebook and on your new Mr President :).
Yes! And I replied in kind!
Kelly Ann Conway responded rightly, in pointing out that the journo-propagandist omitted FACTS that didn't suit his propagandist agenda!
Her's WERE facts!!! Just ommitted by the questioner, because they didn't inure to the benefit of the POINT he was trying to make...

So which AMPS?

Last edited:
omitted fact :) :) :) :)
"this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period."

I actually agree, though, that talking about accuracy when playing a stereo recording is kind of silly. Even the microphone position used is an EQ decision (or compromise) in the product, one of many. What's captured on the disc or file isn't going to recreate what was in the room, at best it will create a feasible illusion.

I actually agree, though, that talking about accuracy when playing a stereo recording is kind of silly. Even the microphone position used is an EQ decision (or compromise) in the product, one of many. What's captured on the disc or file isn't going to recreate what was in the room, at best it will create a feasible illusion.
Exactly.
So you might as well have an illusion you find pleasing.

omitted fact :) :) :) :)
"this was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period."

PS:
It WAS! Internet video reaches more people now, than any during any inauguration before!
Nobody said "in person audience".. FACT.
Statistics showed that more than ever before DID in FACT watch via internet...
The weather was FAR worse than any inauguration in recent history.. FACT.

As mentioned, the propagandist/questioner purposely omitted those facts...
As a "device"... Selective facts rather than ALL the facts... juxtaposed against a suggestive visual... the photo on the mall.
The REAR of the mall... a different location (that looks almost the same) than the photo it was compared to of the previous inauguration.

Having said that...
IF this thread becomes about politics...
For that matter, if there's even one more political comment...
I'll abandon it instantly!

It's all about the sound you experience in your room.

BEST SOUND when: Each speaker has its own room-optimized crossover and load-optimized amplifier.
Bryston is one amp company looking forward with their Active Speakers. Cabinets with only drivers in the box connected to a Bryston multichannel amp with DSP.

Digital and hi-functionality-analog active crossovers favor packaging multiple amplifiers of different power into one chassis. Fewer BIG-WATT stereo amps.
-A fully symmetrical topology from complementary differential inputs, VAS, and durable triple emitter-follower output stage.
-Plateau Bias quickly increases bias current demand to stay in Class-A for five minutes before the next sample. No audio artifacts of a dynamic tracking bias.
-Soft start power-up, plus protection from DC-input, high current, high temp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.