Lateral Audio mosfets are dead now Renesas and Semelab both discontinue any alternate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Discontinued? Where do you have that info from?
I haven't seen any end-of-life statement for the semelab parts (Magnatec, Alfet, Exicon).
Quick check shows Profusion lists Exicon as 'active', and RS has many of the Magnatec and Alfet in stock. Some are on backorder until March, though.

Last edited:
The worst part is they become extinct like the old transistors. When toshiba Jfets are discontinued atleast there are other jfets which are available atleast any make but now if renesas stops then there will be no lateral mosfets. Its like entire species extinct.
I love the sound of lateral mosfets hexfets or any Verticals cannot beat even in same circuit.

It's naive to think 2SK1058/2SJ162 won't be discontinued very soon. The fact that they still are in production is a miracle itself. Shockingly bad business practice to produce such parts.

I don't doubt that at all. As far as I know, these laterals have no other application other than audio amplifiers. Just as you said, not a high enough volume component to assume they will remain in production. Even in the near future. Rumors are that the Semelab devices are made by Renesas as as well.

However; I just can't write laterals off as completely obsolete at this moment without some hard evidence to back up the claims.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Lateral Mosfets have been with us for more than 35 years and they were always intended for and used in audio power and other linear applications. There have never been many devices available. Most variations now, are just double die and package variations.

It's odd though that there are even fewer Hexfet types that are suitable for audio applications. It seems every serious manufacturer and DIY using discrete parts, relies on the same IRFP240/9240 pair, in line with Bob Cordell's advice on the need for high Rdss.

Ive built and serviced many Lateral Mosfet amps since 1980 and apart from higher sourcing costs and restricted power, the simpler circuitry and often better sound and reliability makes up for it. Conventional BJT amps from the '80s are dead and buried whilst some Latfets are still rolling on. I don't think there was ever anything bad about the business practice of producing Lateral Mosfets though. They work fine, have a unique thermal self-protection quality and have been used in some of the finest high-end audio gear as well as hard working PA and instrument amps. What's so bad about their track record that anyone would naively label them as shockingly bad business?

Perhaps though, someone still using any linear TO3 devices in modern audio products might well be running a short-lived business :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.