Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

@Markw4 Let me see if I get this straight or if I am following correctly. Are you saying that Routledge gave you a preorder price, you paid for the book at the price that it was listed, and after you paid for the book they changed the price and asked you to pay the difference or something like that? If that is the case, is that even legal?

No. It was more like false advertising. Routledge said the book would be available for preorder at something like 20% off the regular price, but there was no way to preorder. They said preorders would be available at a later date, and the date was given by them. They changed the preorder date a few times, so I waited to get the 20% off offer. When I went back to see if I could finally preorder, the answer was yes, but only at full price.

P.S. I bought the hardback version. I won't buy a paperback from Routledge ever again, I recently bought Doug Self's book in paperback, and, after a couple openings, the spine almost cracked and there is a line all along the spine of the book. Publishers are not even trying any more to offer a quality product. The hardback is not that good either, it is the same as the paperback but glued to a hard cover, don't even think you will be getting a sewn book. My sewn books from the 50s and 60s are still as strong as they were when new, a lot more yellowish, though.

Last edited:
I do not see any difference between the construction of the power amp book and this new book. I’ve been through the PA book quiet a bit and it’s held together. I’ve been through the new book over the last few days since I received it, so far so good. Time will tell however. Hopefully it holds up for us. Need to treat it with care :)

So, who’s going to start a new thread for this new book rather than using the power amp book thread?

Last edited:
Since I don't own the paperback edition, I cannot really tell. Routledge is using some sort of ultrathin and flexible glue for the spine of paperbacks, at least that is the one they used in Douglas Self's book, and it also appears to be the same one used in Bob's hardback version. Sorry for bringing back Doug's book again and again, but it is the most recent Routledge book I have bought previous to Bob's book. Anyway, back to the glue. It gives the impression of being a good thing because it allows for the paperback book to open flat on a table, but it also looks extremely brittle and appears like it will crack in no time, it even looks like some pages are about to fall out. The spine looks cracked and several thick lines started appearing all along the spine.

Regarding the hardback version of Bob's book, which I do have, it is also not very good quality (the book itself, not the content). If you try to open the book flat on a table, you'll start hearing cracking noises and the spine starts ungluing from the hardcover. It is a scam (by Routledge, not Bob), really, so I have to treat it with upmost care and try not to open the book flat, but rather open it partially on my left hand. As an irrelevant note: I am not sure why Routledge hardback versions have some generic blue cover rather than the cover used for the paperback. I also think they might be using Amazon's printing services in TX.

Sorry if all of this sounds obnoxious or picky to you. I own an extremely large book collection (great to have, painful to move) and I have spent a considerable amount of my hard-earned money on books. I am tired of paying for books with a price tag over the hundred dollar mark that end up cracking, ungluing, or that are just subpar in terms of construction quality. I believe publishers are getting more and more greedy each passing day, and that they are taking far more advantage of their authors and buyers than they used to. Although I also must admit that they are still a necessary evil, since I always frown upon any book on Amazon labeled as "Independently Published".

Reactions: 1 user
Paperback book construction hasn't changed, its how to make books more cheaply than hardback at the expense of durability. Paperback's aren't really designed to lie flat either. Both my Doug Self paperbacks are Focal Press (one Routledge and one not) and have survived heavy use, the newly arrived Bob Cordell book looks the same construction (but they are all UK printed I suspect).