Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2010, 12:22 PM   #221
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Hi,
in the light of post220 and similar revelations, it looks like I am going to revisit my slightly modified Sugden P128s and incorporate some/many of Bob's teachings. Come in Amazon. I am waiting for my Christmas present.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:33 PM   #222
ihan is offline ihan  England
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob,

Is there anything in your book about enhanced compensation techniques? Specifically, is there anything to improve upon TMC (transitional miller compensation).

I have on the bench a design using TMC that gives 0.004% at 20kHz - it is essentially a blameless with a mosfet output stage. I wonder if there is anything in your book regarding compensation that would help me improve it.

By the way, I have ordered a copy of your book!

I've also ordered Jan's book that includes Douglas Self's latest on inclusive compensation. It will be interesting to see if Self can add anything to what has already been posted here.

Best Regards,
Ian
Old 1st September 2010, 12:41 PM   #223
Juergen Knoop is offline Juergen Knoop  Germany
diyAudio Member

delayed...delayed...although I've ordered the book before ya bunch did, amazon has delayed shipping by additional four weeks.
regards
Old 1st September 2010, 12:47 PM   #224
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
diyAudio Member

I received a notification from amazon.ca that delivery is now pushed
back one week.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:53 PM   #225
Juergen Knoop is offline Juergen Knoop  Germany
diyAudio Member

uuh yes, you're right! And they have broadened the delivery corridor, must have confused me.
Anyway, I want my book now!
Old 1st September 2010, 01:18 PM   #226
Edmond Stuart is offline Edmond Stuart  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihan View Post
Hi Bob,
I've also ordered Jan's book that includes Douglas Self's latest on inclusive compensation. It will be interesting to see if Self can add anything to what has already been posted here.

Best Regards,
Ian
Not really.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:29 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Stuart View Post
Not really.
Hi Edmond,

That's disappointing news.

Am I right in thinking you first brought TMC to this forum's attention? If so, I hope Self gives you the credit.

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited by ihan; 1st September 2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 1st September 2010, 01:41 PM   #228
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Self addresses both input-inclusive and output-inclusive compensation, citing work by Baxandall, Linsley-Hood and Leach among others. The article discusses pros and cons of each concept.
On the TMC side he also references a series of posts by Edmond, Bob Cordell and others on the forum.

jan
Old 1st September 2010, 03:32 PM   #229
Bob Cordell is offline Bob Cordell  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihan View Post
Hi Bob,

Is there anything in your book about enhanced compensation techniques? Specifically, is there anything to improve upon TMC (transitional miller compensation).

I have on the bench a design using TMC that gives 0.004% at 20kHz - it is essentially a blameless with a mosfet output stage. I wonder if there is anything in your book regarding compensation that would help me improve it.

By the way, I have ordered a copy of your book!

Best Regards,
Ian
Hi Ian,

I have a chapter that discusses advanced compensation techniques, including TMC. In that chapter I also cover Miller Input Compensation that I used in my original MOSFET power amp. Although I don't think I discussed it, I have simulated designs that combined TMC with input compensation - i.e., where the TMC compensation signal is brought all the way back to the input stage instead of just back to the input of the VAS. Apart from that, I don't think I have improved on TMC.

I am a big fan of TMC. I don't know if what Doug talks about in his up-coming article is TMC or not, but my understanding is that Baxandall and Edmond deserve the credit and I think Edmond coined the term TMC.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 1st September 2010, 04:00 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Self addresses both input-inclusive and output-inclusive compensation, citing work by Baxandall, Linsley-Hood and Leach among others. The article discusses pros and cons of each concept.
On the TMC side he also references a series of posts by Edmond, Bob Cordell and others on the forum.

jan
Thanks for the clarification Jan - I look forward to receiving my copy (perhaps tomorrow or Friday).

Bob Cordell's Power amplifier bookHide this!Advertise here!