Help debugging this circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

The circuit below is meant to do a simple BASS/TREBLE adjustment. It works fine on the simulator. However on the board it oscillates at about 95KHz-100KHz with a funny looking, not sinusoidal shape at +/- 2 Volts! I have tried to replace the FET with a simple transistor in common collector - again exactly the same issue. If I disconnect the FET from the following circuit, and instead put a tone generator onto the rest of the circuit, then that works fine. The weird effects happen when the tone + FET stage is connected to the rest of the circuit.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• tones.jpg
    tones.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 133
It works fine on the simulator.

Er, no it doesn't. 'Cos when I simulate (in my head) moving the wipers of both those pots to the earthy end, then you have no signal at the FET input i.e. it's connected to ground by 2*150K resistors and the input signal is grounded by the 2 * 100k pots.

Use a proper Baxandall or other tone control prototype and nomograms to design a conventional filter and use an opamp or two for some gain if necessary. Although it's probably heresy to say so here, anytime you've got 4 active discretes you should be thinking opamp, if only in terms of component count.

w

You have four stages, cap coupled, with associated phase shifts. I did not take the time to calculate the gains, but it is not puzzling that it oscillates. All you need is a little bit of signal to leak from output to input in the right phase. Use a jfet opamp, keep the layout tidy, roll off the HF gain somewhere.

w

I have added decoupling caps (do not show in diagram).

The very puzzling thing is that when i replaced the jFET with a transistor, the oscillation is still there.

This may be what wakibaki said: a leak from the output to the input, a gain of 100, and no HF rolloff other than paracitic capacitances.

Tomorrow morning I will try to roll off the HFs and see what happens.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.