Stylish amp design . WIFE factor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zen Mod said:

heat transfer is made .......... where ?

looking at that thread ( about drek) I have impression that this thing will produce some amount of heat .......... and I mean - some .........

:clown:

See, that's the trick. Big vents in the back, and holes in the bottom :cool:

Yes, a lot of heat, but it should cause no real problems.

Didn't I send you a pic of the backside?

Magura :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Lotsa watts dissipated from this one at full tilt (500 watts into 4 ohms).
Stays relatively cool using only one small fan running on reduced voltage. The exhaust pipes do the trick.

As far as the wife liking it, well...:)

Attachments

• im001621.jpg
    im001621.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 783
It should be impossibly small. Figure out the smallest possible volume it could be and then cut that volume in half. That is how small it should be.

seriously, I'm not sure anyone understand how small theese powermodules are http://www.vicr.com I carved a space in the wood ,its only like 3mm thick but it looks like 15mm from the outside to be able to make the amp small. If someone would use small fan or classD/T(whatever) technilogy or some other small cooling tech the amp would get almost non existantly small, so it's quite possible.. (It's fun to demo a very small amp, connect it and crank it up LOUD and watch people think "how is this possible" hehe)

mpmarino said:
It pains me to give you credit ;)

Nice design...

,,,, but will your attenuator fit in there?? :confused: :)

Yeah I thought it would :D

Nope, the attenuator won't fit in there, and it won't have to;)

You see, those dials are there only there to indicate the volume level, so they're nothing but a dial on a stepper motor. The stepper motor is running in parallel, with the stepper motor that controls the attenuator.

Actually the dials are on the PSU chassis, as I don't like the idea of a stepper motor next to the inductors.

Magura :)

On holiday for one week, and pauw!! So many posts...

:apathic:

Okay Magura looks good what you have done...

I readen through the posts. I have a few comments to them all...

The amps should be as small as possible... And then there is ECO! :dead:

So an amp with SMPS to keep looses down. typically around 80% compared to an traditional PSU with a toroid..

An it is fairly simple to get working (Power integrations) http://www.powerint.com/

Then the amp should be a near class B or a class D design.

A well constructed "near" class B can easily match class A...

Class D has come a long way...

I will go to sleep now and come back tomorrow when i have cleared my head...

the time I spend actually listening to music makes it possible to to lower the bias somehow when music is not present, but the cooling fins will have to be there.. or a really cool fan or something, if it's not klassD/T(small one there maybe)
Of course, everyone woundnt agree to this, obviously.. hehe

btw, thats a nice round box there a few posts up!

roger_lew said:

I definitely agree with the simplicity aspect. Making the system as easy to use as possible is a good idea for all users. My main system has 2 audio/video sources. A PVR and a mediaPC. My Harmony 550 remote turns on and sets the TV and PreAmp to the appropriate source with 1 button press. All the music is on the mediaPC (most of it in Apple lossless) and itunes lets one stream it to different locations through a using a simple graphical interface. The mediaPC also serves as a high quality upscaling DVD player.

Roger

i repair consumer audio equipment, and the amount of "features" in "home theater" equipment has so outpaced the average consumer's ability to comprehend them (let alone operate them) that a large chunk of my time is spent undoing operator goofs and resetting receivers to factory default configuration. complaints such as "surround amps blown" turn out to be that the user has set the receiver to "two channel audio". "HDMI inputs inoperative" is usually because the user has not assigned the HDMI inputs to a particular video pathway such as DVD. "optical input dead" is usually because somenody set the receiver to "analog" instead of "auto" or "digital"

unclejed613 said:

i repair consumer audio equipment, and the amount of "features" in "home theater" equipment has so outpaced the average consumer's ability to comprehend them (let alone operate them) that a large chunk of my time is spent undoing operator goofs and resetting receivers to factory default configuration.

this man speaks the truth! i too repair 'home theater' equip on the side and the vast majority of my clients are completely mystified by the technology in these equipments. most of them have a hard enough time understanding stereo let alone dolby dig 5.1.

imo marketing personnel intensionally inundate the consumer with useless (and often erroneous) technical jargon while at the same time providing ZERO consumer education in an attempt to make them feel inferior to the jonses and keep them consuming the 'latest and greatest' products, to support their bottom lines and sales commissions, even if these products offer little to no benefits over the existing technology's.

the consumer spends hours upon hours wondering why their 'state of the art' equipment doesn't even come close to measuring up to their expectations while the salesmen are laughing their a$$es off at them and high-fiveing each other all the way to the bank. i didn't believe this myself until i saw it time and time again with my own eyes.

OK back on topic: IMO:

if (wife_gf_acceptance_factor < pleasure_received_from_diy_project) {

replace(gf || wife);

}
else {

remove(self.balls);

}

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.