What tools to use to model/design dipole H frame woofer section for OB speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Not the same but very similar. The techniques for design of a multi-way OB are all in SL’s superb website. I’m glad they kept this going.

LX521 Description

Tools?

A microphone like UM-1
REW software for measurement
Xsim software for simulation & design of XO
Akabak software for modeling acoustics response

As speakers go, multi-way OB is perhaps one of the most complicated and probably not an ideal project for a novice. There are a lot of tools you need to get a better feel of first.

Last edited:
Scott is spot on. I have 2x12" woofers in a W frame.

First pic is the woofer only with no XO, the resonant peak is at 300Hz. Second pic is with the XO set at 225Hz 24db/oct to a MarkAudio Alpair 12P.

Both measurements are taken at 1m from the centre of the 12P on axis

My speakers are biamped with a DSP to set XO then I build an active line level XO.

I have a UM-1 calibrated microphone, and it has taken a few years of tweaking to get these speakers sounding AMAZING.

Attachments

• Woofer.jpg
    Woofer.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 348
  • XO 225Hz.jpg
    XO 225Hz.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Is there a dummies guide on how to set up for H Frame?

Hi David,

Not that I am aware of.

You can however use the Input Wizard accessed from under the Help menu to specify the generic H-frame example, and then open the Loudspeaker Wizard and adjust parameter values to suit.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    45 KB · Views: 344
David -

You could try looking at "ABC Dipole"

It was developed with an older version of Excel and requires the same Excel Toolpaks as Bagby's PCD. The Excel file seems to open fine on my Excel 2010. The included help file has all the Excel setup information info. I haven't actually used it for design, but it was recommended by PWRRYD (over at the MAC and PETT forums) who has used it.

Thanks, but I already have ABC Dipole. I actually bought it when it was not free. Shows you how old I am.

But I cannot get HornResp to work. It is apparently a very good program with a long pedigree. Accurate too. Anyone know how to get it running on 10. I really do not want to reserve a computer to run 7 or XP. Finding an old copy of XP or 7r will be a real chore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.