Advices on First Crossover Design (VituixCAD2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah a big 20 mH inductor.. Even with the rise near impedance, should provide some modest low-pass (mostly "eq" correction) around 50 Hz or so (..in addition to the steep active filter around 100 Hz from my Receiver).
Never thought to combine a passive with an active filter, is it because the receiver do not accept a lower pass than 100Hz ?

The US still has all sorts of problems with shipping, often a supplier or "drop" shipper problem. (..for me it was from Erse Audio direct.. and instead had to go through their supplier PartsExpress to get the inductor I wanted.) Lately we've had advertisements here in the US for online motion-sensing cameras for our front doors to see if anyone is stealing packages from our doorstep while we are away from home. :D

I guess the biggest benefit is that we don't have all sorts of different taxes going on. In the US IF the purchaser's State requires sales tax (typically around 8 %), AND the seller does enough business on-line for that particular State that it doesn't want to have problems with the State, THEN the seller just includes that sales tax in the price along with shipping. Most of the time our shipping rates are pretty reasonable in the "lower 48" as well, as long as it's the cheapest/slowest "ground" rate. No other additional fees, just modest shipping depending on size/weight and likely around 8% sales tax. :)

Ha yeah I have seen some videos about stolen packages, here nobody leave packages out, if we are not there or neighbors refuse to open then we have to pick it up or ask for a representation of the delivery.

Compared to the states here many resellers are often limiting the shipping to their own countries, even when if distance is minimal compared to the states, fortunately not all are like that, nothing is uniformly accepted even if under that EU umbrella.

8% Is great!
What is a "lower 48"?

uh, oh. :eek:

That's a slippery.. err, STICKY "slope" there.

1st it's some tape..

2nd it's: "you know, that test baffle really compliments my home decor." :D

I'm sure there was something to understand there, like a double meaning but as I am unsure I'll "slide" over that :)

Yes that test baffle is very fashionable and in my case it will still be possible to watch the television though the hole if you are sitting on a ladder, only a minor problem

Please enlight me about something that is still obscure in the procedure

Before in VituixCAD I was tracing responses from manufacturer, and creating off axis responses using that in the Diffraction Tool and Calculator

Now when I will want to use the off-axis response that I will measure on the test (IEC) baffle I don't have to do the Diffraction Tool step and I can import directly each responses angle in the main Window, but then I don't see how it will help me simulate diffraction of the sketchup baffle, what am I missing here?

I have rewatch the Video made by Kimmosto and it's not explained, in the help File i can see this :

• Export measured frequency responses with Convert IR to FR tool.

• Merge and manipulate response data
    • Merge far field and near field responses with Merger tool if you didn’t measure low frequency radiators (<300 Hz) from far field in anechoic environment.

• Include cabinet impact response (from diffraction simulator) in near field responses
    • Export merged responses as separate txt-files (or as extended data file if smoothing is not needed).

• So does that mean I have to Export each Impulse response from REW
  • Then use the IR->FR tool to convert the measurements
  • Import the converted files in the Merger Tool
  • Finally export again from the merger
  • Then only I can use that in the Diffraction tool ?
My head hurt :hypno1:

Never thought to combine a passive with an active filter, is it because the receiver do not accept a lower pass than 100Hz ?

What is a "lower 48"?

The Receiver is inexpensive (least expensive of the Pioneer Elite US models) and has some "quirks" when it comes to using their automated digital eq. for all channels. One of those quirks is the way I've got it setup as 5.1 + 2 ceiling middle channels results in 100 Hz low (sub-out) and high pass crossovers (all other channels).

Lower 48 is all States but Alaska and Hawaii: both of which are much further away - and so much more expensive to ship to.

• So does that mean I have to Export each Impulse response from REW
  • Then use the IR->FR tool to convert the measurements
  • Import the converted files in the Merger Tool
  • Finally export again from the merger
  • Then only I can use that in the Diffraction tool ?

My head hurt :hypno1:

Asking the wrong person. :eek:

https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/VituixCAD/VituixCAD Measurement Preparations.pdf

The pdf is confusing. It looks like VituixCAD wants you to do the near and farfield merge with it's tool?? ..and then "*export" that to another part of the VituixCAD (..which actually reminds me of Soundeasy (..though it's been a long time for me with using it), and Soundeasy was always "odd" in that respect to me.)

It does clearly allow multiple IR files for multiple axis's - so that's great. (..wanting a .pir file - at least from Arta).

Again, wrong person to ask..

*the whole "export" thing is strange to me - to me it's an IMPORT feature: showing how you IMPORT from Arta's .pir file EXPORT to VituixCAD.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm quiet confused about it, but I'll see that in detail when I have the measurements.
I'll ask Kimmosto on the VituixCAD thread if I am stuck, I know he will complain about my procedure but I'll suck it up and learn what I can from it, whatever it's wrong or not.

I have visited the wood shop today and they have good choices, I'll review what I'll purchase, I'll go with Valchromat Black for the faces, and maybe the other parts also, the test baffle I have to find something lighter.

It's quiet hot now 92°F, I'll stay hidden with my fan at max

Asking the wrong person. :eek:
The pdf is confusing.

This conversation is sad.

*the whole "export" thing is strange to me - to me it's an IMPORT feature: showing how you IMPORT from Arta's .pir file EXPORT to VituixCAD.

pir is IR measurement data file of ARTA, and mls is IR measurement data file of CLIO. Not EXPORT. So VituixCAD is able to read directly IR data files of ARTA and CLIO and convert to frequency response files with time windowing and FFT, and save as txt/frd files. Name of that feature is 'Convert IR to FR'. Saving button is Export because result is generic txt/frd files for any application - not for VituixCAD alone. Could be Convert or Save too.

My head hurts too.

'Convert IR to FR' of VituixCAD is not needed if you're measuring and exporting txt/frd files with REW. REW version 5.20 beta 8 or later is recommended for off-axis measurement sequences and exporting all txt/frd files.

Yeah I guess that it's a pain to see all that I am doing wrong

Well, just to understand I have tried exporting REW 1m 0deg, 30deg & 60deg by using export all measurements, then in VituixCAD, tried loading them in the main window and I get an error.

I have tried renaming to include "hor" and the "0" "30" & "60" but with no sucess

I'm sure it's not what I would be suppose to do, but could you bear with me and take the time to make me understand what the process is to get on & off axis measurement and use that to simulate diffraction ?

here is the screenshot
Y5L9x1k.png

here is the screenshot

There you have two flat sample frequency responses and one sample impedance response loaded to frequency response list of one driver. All responses are interpreted as hor 0 deg which is not legal situation.
Start new clean project and try to load frequency responses (txt/frd) exported with REW. Hor and Ver columns should show correct angles and responses visible in charts after driver is connected to generator.
If files don't work, send all files to me as zipped.

There you have two flat sample frequency responses and one sample impedance response loaded to frequency response list of one driver. All responses are interpreted as hor 0 deg which is not legal situation.
Start new clean project and try to load frequency responses (txt/frd) exported with REW. Hor and Ver columns should show correct angles and responses visible in charts after driver is connected to generator.
If files don't work, send all files to me as zipped.

Have exported again using "export all measurements" from REW 5.20 Beta13, started a new project in VituixCAD2 and I have the same issue when loading the three at the same time, for a test I tried loading each separately only the 0 deg load without error

I have sent a Zip to you by e-mail

Thanks

I have noticed that the range I exported was 50hz to 20khz, I have tried by changing to 20hz to 20Khz during the export and it load better but still make an error and leave a big red cross on the bottom left window.

In that Windows I notice that if I passe the cursor on it there is a contextual text that still register 0,30 & 60 but I can't see them

This conversation is sad.

pir is IR measurement data file of ARTA, and mls is IR measurement data file of CLIO. Not EXPORT. So VituixCAD is able to read directly IR data files of ARTA and CLIO and convert to frequency response files with time windowing and FFT, and save as txt/frd files. Name of that feature is 'Convert IR to FR'. Saving button is Export because result is generic txt/frd files for any application - not for VituixCAD alone. Could be Convert or Save too.

Well it was sad because that pdf is CONFUSING. :D

It's also EXACTLY what I thought it was.

..and yeah, I get that it's exporting (a new file) - it's just a bit confusing that any given user is going to be "exporting" from VituixCAD TO VituixCAD. From a Computer Science perspective it makes sense, from an average user perspective: that is confusing. ;)

Last edited:
My head hurts too.

'Convert IR to FR' of VituixCAD is not needed if you're measuring and exporting txt/frd files with REW. REW version 5.20 beta 8 or later is recommended for off-axis measurement sequences and exporting all txt/frd files.

..yeah, that pdf is written from a particular perspective that just didn't work here. :eek:

I'd also point out that REW isn't alone in the ability to export frd files: Arta can do so as well, but I'm guessing you have a reason (multi-axis sequencing?) for preferring the .pir export and utilizing VituixCAD's "Export" of frd files as in that particular pdf of yours..

Last edited:
I have sent a Zip to you by e-mail

Your files were okay. Few comments:
* "deg" is not needed in filenames. ARTA adds "deg", but it's not required by VituixCAD.
* "Hor" and "Ver" with capital is better to be "hor" and "ver" to be compatible with initial angle parsing settings in Options window.
* File size is huge. There is a setting for exporting txt/frd files with logaritmic frequency points (96 pts/oct) to reduce file size and increase reading speed. Time reference should be close to IR peak in order to use log f scale. This is already okay in your files.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.