Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Software Tools SPICE, PCB CAD, speaker design and measurement software, calculators

Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII). From beginner to advanced.
Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII). From beginner to advanced.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2021, 07:55 AM   #3071
edbarx is offline edbarx  Europe
diyAudio Member

The constant current source is not properly set up to mimic the action of a BJT as the current cannot reverse direction. I tried several nested if statement but they did not work as planned. It seems there is a programmatic error (bug) in LTSpice. I tried several forms of nesting without success.

The statement goes like this:
Code:
if (T, A, if(U, B, C))
Explanation:
If T is true, execute A, if T is untrue execute the last if statement. This is executed by first checking U for truth, if true B is executed, if false C is executed.
Old 18th September 2021, 04:52 PM   #3072
edbarx is offline edbarx  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would like to draw the attention of anyone interested in nested if statements that all my attempts failed on LTSpice. My advice is not to waste time, especially, if you are a student.

An ideal BJT may be constructed from two resistors and a current source. A resistor is used for the emitter-base junction and a current source with a parallel resistor is used to simulate transistor action. Obviously, the current source and its parallel resistor have to be programmed to behave like a transistor.

The programming is this:
Code:
Value for R2:
R=if(I(R1)*100*10000<=12, 1G, 1n)

Value parameter for B1:
I=if(I(R1)>=0, 100*I(R1), 0)
I am attaching a screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2021-09-18-190343_1366x717_scrot.png (63.4 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by edbarx; 18th September 2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:15 PM   #3073
b_force is offline b_force  Europe
diyAudio Member

Little question about a simple TS391 I am trying to get to work in LTSpice.

Usually this is all straight forward, but I just get bogus results with an extremely simple comparator circuit.

I got the spice model from here;
Index of /Spice_Model_CD/Vendor List/STMicroelectronics/Standard Linear ICs/Spice

I also tried to model from ST's website;
TS391 - Low power, single voltage comparator - STMicroelectronics

As a symbol I just used the standard UniversalOpamp2 symbol and edit the pins to the one stated in the Spice file;

* 1 INVERTING INPUT
* 2 NON-INVERTING INPUT
* 3 OUTPUT
* 4 POSITIVE POWER SUPPLY
* 5 NEGATIVE POWER SUPPLY
.SUBCKT TS391 1 2 3 4 5

I am a little lost and confused, anyone a working model out there?
Old 23rd September 2021, 02:19 PM   #3074
diyAudio Member

Ok, that was quick from myself.

This is rather silly from the SPICE model.
It only work on 5V (or lower), while the datasheet clearly says it can be used up to 36V.

Anyway to change this?
Old 23rd September 2021, 03:27 PM   #3075
Ray Waters is offline Ray Waters  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_force View Post
I also tried to model from ST's website;
TS391 - Low power, single voltage comparator - STMicroelectronics

As a symbol I just used the standard UniversalOpamp2 symbol and edit the pins to the one stated in the Spice file;

* 1 INVERTING INPUT
* 2 NON-INVERTING INPUT
* 3 OUTPUT
* 4 POSITIVE POWER SUPPLY
* 5 NEGATIVE POWER SUPPLY
.SUBCKT TS391 1 2 3 4 5
The ST TS391 SPICE model uses the same pin order as the LTspice opamp2 symbol so you didn't need to edit either the model or the symbol's pin order. The model file appears to use node numbers instead of sequential numbers and this can be confusing, but it is the order that matters, not the actual numbers. The non-inverting input is pin 1, and the inverting input is pin 2. I think you have these reversed.

Don't change either the SPICE model file or the opamp2 symbol file and your simulation should work.
Old 23rd September 2021, 03:51 PM   #3076
diyAudio Member

This list is from the spice model itself, I didn't change anything.

The standard opamp didn't work with it at all.
Old 23rd September 2021, 04:12 PM   #3077
Ray Waters is offline Ray Waters  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not familiar with that chip so I can't comment on whether the model works or not. I was only offering an observation that the pin order in the model (see below) matches the pin order in the opamp2 symbol. The non-inverting input is listed first, followed by the inverting input. This is the opposite of what you show in your post #3073.

Sorry this wasn't helpful.

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* TS391 spice macromodel
* CONNECTIONS : (corrected feb/17)
* 2 NON-INVERTING INPUT
* 1 INVERTING INPUT
* 44 POSITIVE POWER SUPPLY
* 55 NEGATIVE POWER SUPPLY
* 30 OUTPUT
.SUBCKT TS391 2 1 44 55 30
Old 29th September 2021, 11:04 AM   #3078
martyh is online now martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I missed this in a previous post. Is there an easy way to notch out a fundamental out of a waveform on a circuit output and display the distortion waveform in the same window as the output. I have tried adding the trace output-(input*gain) and I end up with a residual that is primarily the fundamental. I think I was pretty accurate with the settings and the circuit I am trying it on only has a couple of degrees of phase shift at mid band so not sure what went wrong or how to fix it.
Thanks
Marty
Old 29th September 2021, 11:44 AM   #3079
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Sorry if I missed this in a previous post. Is there an easy way to notch out a fundamental out of a waveform on a circuit output and display the distortion waveform in the same window as the output. I have tried adding the trace output-(input*gain) and I end up with a residual that is primarily the fundamental. I think I was pretty accurate with the settings and the circuit I am trying it on only has a couple of degrees of phase shift at mid band so not sure what went wrong or how to fix it.
Thanks
Marty
You mean in LTSpice?

I would just make a little notch circuit, with something like a LC
No idea if that can also be done with some kind of expression (probably it can)
Old 29th September 2021, 11:49 AM   #3080
martyh is online now martyh  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, sorry for not being clear. I'm trying to do it in LT spice

Installing and using LTspice IV (now including LTXVII). From beginner to advanced.Hide this!Advertise here!