• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EAR 8L6 50W/Ch 240 to 110V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

A friend of mine just upgraded his system and would like to send me his EAR 8L6 integrated amplifier. He thinks that EAR stuff probably has a dual voltage tap in its main transformer so a technician in the States may be able to wire it for 120V, is he correct?

Cheers,

Horacio

Seems doable

Attachments

• 834_8l6.jpg
    834_8l6.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 165
  • ptx.jpg
    ptx.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 189
send me his EAR 8L6 integrated amplifier. He thinks that EAR stuff probably has a dual voltage tap in its main transformer so a technician in the States may be able to wire it for 120V, is he correct?
I suggest writing to themselves to best clear that.

Or apply Plan B as suggested by Duncan 2

Step-up transformer made in China for a British made high quality amp? Another link in the chain, it is a no no.
It´s not in the *Audio* chain but in the mains voltage one,just one more element in the looooonnnnngggg mains chain from Niagara Falls or Mr Burns nuclear power station to amplifier power cable.

And I bet there´s a huge difference between a $2 "50W" autotransformer bought at Dollar Tree and a good 500W (or 1000VA to play it safer) known brand one bought at a known Electronics supplier.

I meant "commercial known", not "6 Moons tested Audiophile quality" one.

If you want to play it double safe, get an Industrial quality one designed to run machinery continuously.

Plan B: hire a Registered/Certified Electrician, he can probably wire a 240V outlet specially for your amplifier.

High quality power line (meant to feed Air Conditioning, large ovens, etc.) and you already have it somewhere in your home.

Yes JM Fahey I did consider posting a link to US/UK industrial /business to business quality set-up/down transformers but as I noted here on DIY Audio all I would get is ----Tooooooo Deeeeear !!

And yes I got that previously seems you cant win here --looked at the industrial transformers in heavy steel enclosures but knew they wouldn't be acceptable .

It seems they want cheap but industrial quality while spending $1000,s on audio equipment .

Your right of course the USA already has 240 Volts RMS into its homes as well as 115/120 V RMS .

They buy off eBay then complain about quality so tell me --if they want I will do only links to equipment costing an arm and a leg but I guess they would still not be happy as some guy would say ----" I know where to get it cheaper ".

For ALL of the posters here --in the UK I buy DIRECT from wholesalers dealing in engineering hardware/software and that includes household goods used by shops /businesses BUT it is a whole world of difference in engineering quality --no bells/whistles etc but built like a tank and made to last something that the USA was good at in the 50,s .

Frightfully sorry mates, but this was an offer from a dear friend in Manchester.

If I have to buy a $1K plus transformer, I would prefer to buy a 110V/60Hz amplifier here in the States but it is easier to find EAR, Audio Note or Radford components in the UK than in this country and more models too. Last year I purchased a Swiss Physics 5A and 6A from Switzerland, impossible to find them here, they are multivoltage, ditto for a Stellavox SM8.

EAR Yoshino never bothered to reply to my question, they made have thought that I was a clone builder.

BTW, proud to have never entered a Walmart store.

Cheers,

Horacio

Last edited:
If I have to buy a $1K plus transformer, I would prefer to buy a 110V/60Hz amplifier here in the States
U$1000? :eek:

Highest quality Canadian made Hammond 500VA 176D autotransformer is only U$131 at Mouser. :D

176D Hammond Manufacturing | Mouser

In Stock: 3

Stock:
3 Can Ship Immediately
Factory Lead-Time:
3 Weeks

Minimum: 1 Multiples: 1
Enter Quantity:
Pricing (USD)
Qty. Unit Price
Ext. Price
1 $131.83 $131.83

As an option also ask a Licensed Electrical Contractor about adding a 240VAC outlet at your listening room.

Wouldn´t be surprised if a currently installed one can be wired as such in minutes, but hey, always hire a Pro, don´t do it yourself.

Doubt he will charge U$1000 for it.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Imported devices built for the China 220V domestic market have a noncompliant power transformer that cannot be rewired for 110V, but most reputable amplifiers sold on the European 230V market have a internal or external 110V wiring option. It is unlikely that the EAR 8L6 is missing this feature. The mains fuse should usually be replaced with the correct value for the new voltage. The fact that the device can be switched does not means that the manufacturer will support the modification. There are regulatory differences such as wire colors, UL listing etc that may be different between the EU and USA version.
I have limited knowledge of what is available on USA, but I've seen standard code-compliant dual voltage outlets like this one https://www.leviton.com/en/products/16292-w ; a NEMA 6-15P to C13 Power Cord will replace the one that came with the device, and a step-up transformer can be avoided.
I always thought that powering EU audio equipment in the US is much easier than the other way around. To use some amplifiers that I imported from the USA I had to build a bulky step down transformer because those sold online have outrageously low quality, and in any case the device will produce more heat because of the lower line frequency.

Last edited:
"because those sold online have outrageously low quality, and in any case the device will produce more heat because of the lower line frequency".

It is exactly what a friend mentioned, a good quality step-down transformer must have a sufficiently high VA rating, impregnated laminations, and complete absence of mechanical mains 'hum' due to loose laminations vibrating.

Also, there is not only a change in mains voltage (115V) but there is also a change in frequency (60Hz). The latter may have an effect, it depends on the design of the mains transformer used.

Where do I find a transformer that meets those specs? Fat chance.

Fact is, homes with standard 3-wire electrical service in most parts of the USA get 240 volts but the three wires that come in from the street are 120 volts. Most household devices, including lights and appliances, run on 110-volt power. They connect to the panel via a single hot wire (which connects to one hot bus), a neutral wire and a ground. Larger appliances, such as dryers, ovens, pool pumps and AC run on 220-volt power.

Last edited:
Hi,

A friend of mine just upgraded his system and would like to send me his EAR 8L6 integrated amplifier. He thinks that EAR stuff probably has a dual voltage tap in its main transformer so a technician in the States may be able to wire it for 120V, is he correct?

Cheers,

Horacio

i have converted a Theta 6550 amp by just moving the jumper, many US made power traffos are like that, two 110 volt primaries that you can series connect for higher lines...

"because those sold online have outrageously low quality, and in any case the device will produce more heat because of the lower line frequency".
Unjustified blanket statement, there are excellent quality ones available, buy one of those.
It is exactly what a friend mentioned, a good quality step-down transformer must have a sufficiently high VA rating, impregnated laminations, and complete absence of mechanical mains 'hum' due to loose laminations vibrating.
yes, so? Buy one of the many available good ones.
Hammond meets and exceeds all of your "friend´s" specs and then some.
Also, there is not only a change in mains voltage (115V) but there is also a change in frequency (60Hz). The latter may have an effect, it depends on the design of the mains transformer used.
It certainly has an effect, transformer will run COOLER, go figure.
Where do I find a transformer that meets those specs? Fat chance.
Just read post #9 :D
Fact is, homes with standard 3-wire electrical service in most parts of the USA get 240 volts but the three wires that come in from the street are 120 volts.
Yes. Two 120V wires , in phase and in series so you have 120 AND 240V all over the place.
Just get an electrician to wire one 240V outlet for you.

Most household devices, including lights and appliances, run on 110-volt power. They connect to the panel via a single hot wire (which connects to one hot bus), a neutral wire and a ground. Larger appliances, such as dryers, ovens, pool pumps and AC run on 220-volt power.
You left your phrase unfinished:
They connect to the panel via two hot wires for power and a ground for safety.

That, if you can not rewire your amplifier as suggested on post #3 , of course.

Post a picture showing clearly your power transformer and its connections.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.