Converting office in a large garage. Advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a country property that has a 50'd x 40'w x 20'h metal building workshop. Inside is an office which has drywall and insulted walls with 8' ceiling. The office has a little odd layout but I think I could build a nice listening room for myself. I'm not worried about disturbing anyone with sound leaks since its out in the country and not attached to the house. I've attached pics of where in the shop the office is located along with the current layout and some of my layout ideas. Love to hear others ideas of what I should do. I'm in no rush and I do have building skills. Removing the interior wall would not be a problem but moving the toilet would be difficult. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2 Channel Listening Room Plan.jpg
    2 Channel Listening Room Plan.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 3D Garage.jpg
    3D Garage.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Full Garage-1.jpg
    Full Garage-1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Listen Room #1-1.jpg
    Listen Room #1-1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Listening Room #2-1.jpg
    Listening Room #2-1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 171
From an acoustics standpoint I see two issues. One, having as large a room as possible helps with room modes, but two, the large window to the right of the listening position.

That window will throw off the balance of the image if you don't plan for it and treat the opposing wall. Or, you say you're handy, you could build a "plug" that sets into the window. I've seen a lot of people make them friction fit so they stay, but add a handle for easy removal in case of fire.

My vote would be the first option you have, with the small room just for the bathroom. Then build a plug for the window to the right, and treat from there like a normal room.

Thank you. It’s nice to have another set of eyes look at my ideas. I do plan to cover the walls for looks and acoustics. I’m leaning towards floating stained ply boards on the walls, so covering the windows wouldn’t be a problem. The bathroom sticking out into the room makes me wonder how much that would effect the sound. I’ve even considered removing the drywall and just adding sound batting and the wrapping the bathroom walls with Gillfords cloth. Kind turn the bathroom into an absorber/bass trap? Thanks again.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
It's a huge space Lucky you.
From a simple point of view just adding something on some of the walls and some of the ceiling or roof to absorb / stop reflections seems to be all you need. I don't see that the office will really have much effect if you use some simple but dense wall hangings. Being in Texas some Chief Joseph blankets would be appropriate

Here is a little bit of inspiration for you G. We moved into this place three years ago and I turned the third bay of a three car garage into my listening room. I am just now setting up my system but I think it turned out well.

Bass traps, first reflection absorbers, art work and it should look good.

Attachments

• 20170903_222318.jpg
    20170903_222318.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20170903_222335.jpg
    20170903_222335.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200211_185755.jpg
    20200211_185755.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200211_185810.jpg
    20200211_185810.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 103
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.