W5-2143 vs Peerless NE149

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone done a comparison of these two drivers run full range? While the NE149 is marketed as a midwoofer, the published response shows it is quite capable of fullrange operation.

The NE149 gets a lot of praise from multi way users as some of the finest midrange quality, high end SEAS and ScanSpeak reference from a drive unit less than half of the big boys which is what started my query.

There is a rise in the response of the 149 centered in the 8khz region on axis but I wonder if that can’t be smoothed out with baffle location? Is there any way to simulate that?

I do see the off axis response drops like a stone above 10khz but that’s perfect for me as I intend these as nearfield monitors

I do believe by the specs the 149 to be the better for LF extension unless someone knows otherwise?

Thanks again!

I have used the sbacoustics midwoofer metal drivers as full rangers before.

For the 5" midwoofer, the frequency response at 20kHz is about 10db higher than at 1kHz.

I guess it doesn't fit their requirements on how one should have flat frequency response across all angles... in which case most full rangers don't fare very well..

Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.