Fully tube regulated PSU

In some thread I remember some guy has said that he found lots of radar gear and it all had fully tube regulated (6080 double triode), LC input PSU.
I was keen to find those gears schemos to see what the military could do for us audiophiles in terms of clean and stable power supplies, but was unlucky to find them. Maybe someone has hints where to find them. That would be nice!

Attachments

• Preferred.jpg
    Preferred.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 462
The schematic you posted is from a US Navy publication called preffered circuits.

A LC filter in front of a tube regulator has the advantage of lower output noise, but care needs to be taken because the regulation of the LC filter the permissible anode dissipation calculation gets slightly more complex.

heres a good start to understanding the classical circuits. Tube Based Voltage Regulators - Part 1STEVE BENCH site mirror by JACMUSIC

Heres the tube regulated supply page in German Verschiedene Roehren-Netzteile und ihre Schaltungen

And my own contribution is simple and straightforward. Say you have a supply with a EF184 or the likes, if you put a 10M45S in there instead of a resistor as load for the error amplifier, and set the tube at 5..10mA gain will be huge and output noise reduction will be one order of magnitude at which point wiring and layout considerations are more important than circuit design. You can increase performance by means of a current source cascode, this is what i did for some Boutique design, we measured the output at 325V 40mA load, and got 0.3mV of noise.

I used one of the schematics (with some changes, like a VR tube instead of a Zener, and a PY81 for delay) described in the attached article (AudioXpress 2008) in my Aikido headphone amplifier.

Attachments

• Valve (Tube) Regulated Power Supplies (AudioXpress 2008).pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Aikido Headphone Amp ECC40 + E182CC.png
    Aikido Headphone Amp ECC40 + E182CC.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 266
I did a board design once for 2x 6080/6AS7 EF184 CCS loaded, and it works quite well. Not as well as the cascode loaded error amplifier versions.

Attachments

• photo_2021-07-09_17-18-00.jpg
    photo_2021-07-09_17-18-00.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 148
  • photo_2021-07-10_22-53-33 (2).jpg
    photo_2021-07-10_22-53-33 (2).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 156
Last edited: