diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I'm having a hard time finding out how to read a Dale. What does it all mean?

I have a hard time too with reading the code.
Best I can tell you is to look at the documentation and decipher those ‚departments’ of it. Somewhere the value is noted, somewhere the tolerance etc. ...
Only after several attempts I began to understand which part of the code tells you what.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Also note that the RN series, being the milspec, are 100% derated, meaning they are one size bigger than their data sheet says. The 65 is a 1/4 resistor on the data sheet but actually a 1/2 watt body, and they are already beefy to begin with.

So that’s why they are huge on the PCB.

Or just step up to a 20ohm inrush current limiter (in place of the 10ohm CL-60).

SL22 20005 Ametherm | Mouser Ireland

I occurs to me on reflection that this might be misinterpreted. My F5 also has 33,000uF caps (8 of them), and I'm using the standard CL-60 without it being a fuse junkie. So there's no requirement to go to a soft-start or 20ohm thermistor.

But if I were to want to limit inrush more, I'd use a 20ohm thermistor before I'd employ a soft-start -- just because I like simple.

Note that there's also the in-between step of an SL22 16004 (at 16ohms).

Thanks myleft ear. Big thanks to you 6L6. Your tutorials are great I appreciate you for them. I've got lots of info on your chassis and PSU guides. As well as the B1 Korg and this one.

I'm taking a beach break and supply run. I need star washers, fuses, misc. hardware, I'm passing the big box stores on the way. I best do it after the beach so my daughter doesn't get anxious. After the water she'll be tired and I won't be rushed. Enjoy your Saturday. Thanks again for your support..JJ

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I've got lots of info on your chassis and PSU guides.

Concerning resistor qualities etc., I've just read over this (link here) in the F4 building guide (from mighty 6L6 of course...):

A CMF55 and RN55 are essentially the same thing, the only real difference being that the RN will always have copper leads, the CMF may have copper or steel.

(for us fetishists) :rolleyes: :D

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Copper leads, those leads have Pb-containing solder tin, and the resistors themselves are 100% derated for power, I.E., a 1/4w resistor will say 1/8w on the datasheet.

Much, much more important than any of that, they are the easiest resistor to find at Digi-Key or Mouser that has the value printed on the side in numerals instead of colored bands.

That the RN- series is absolutely fantastic sounding, low noise, high precision, and incredibly consistent is just a happy benefit.

I've got an F5 with the stores V3 PSU running very well with everything I've learned here, so thanks for that! But now I'm digging deeper...

Purple goes directly to the chassis. Same place the safety earth from the wall attaches. Do not connect to audio ground.

Starground on the PSU works pretty well, but the PSU ground should be elevated off the chassis by a CL-60 or a couple big diodes. CL-60 is easiest.

Would someone please explain why it's preferable to have a CL-60 between the PSU ground and the chassis?

My understanding is that nothing in series between PEM Earth and the chassis is best because anything in series increases the odds the the chassis is live in a fault condition.

How does the CL-60 between PSU ground and chassis not violate that same principle whithin the scope of the PSU?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Hi Folks, I'm building this power supply for use with the F5 V3. My mains are 120V. What power transformer options are there? I've seen AS-3218 - 300VA 18V suggested, but that is out of stock and the 400VA is as well. I assume going down to 16 VA or up to 20VA is unwise. Thanks!

Hi Folks, I'm building this power supply for use with the F5 V3. My mains are 120V. What power transformer options are there? I've seen AS-3218 - 300VA 18V suggested, but that is out of stock and the 400VA is as well. I assume going down to 16 VA or up to 20VA is unwise. Thanks!

I have the same issue. Would also be nice to find an alternative for which the Quasimodo R/C values are known.