The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
What L value would you suggest ?

While waiting I decided to experiment and found that increasing the cap value on the simple RC circuit I lost some precious volts.

I can not use 6r8 + 30000uF because that gives me only 40Vout so I reduced the r to 2ohm (Mills) and got lower noise and 46Vout... it is burning right now so I can not post a true impression but it seems a good improvement so far.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
What L value would you suggest ?

While waiting I decided to experiment and found that increasing the cap value on the simple RC circuit I lost some precious volts.

I can not use 6r8 + 30000uF because that gives me only 40Vout so I reduced the r to 2ohm (Mills) and got lower noise and 46Vout... it is burning right now so I can not post a true impression but it seems a good improvement so far.

35mH

very thorough report.
Thanks for the link.

A point to be wary of.
A choke input filter requires load current to operate properly.
Powering a heater is perfect. A CCS load is perfect.
At low current draw, the LC output voltage rises from Vdc=~0.9*Vac to Vdc=~1.4Vac when the current falls to near zero.
It does not work with ClassAB amplifiers, nor does it work well with many ClassA amplifiers if the rail current varies significantly.

Guys,
I am aware that the recommendation is Vin=Vout+10
How strict is this to be taken? I am a bit in a dilemma on the purchase of a tranny:

VoutDesired=19V
Vin=20VAC*1.4=28V would this work? I have some caps that are rated 35V, so I am reluctant to go for a 24V transformer as this would be close to the limits of the caps.

Therefore would Vin=Vout+9V also work?

Thanks!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wich is the max current for V1.2R? because I make one reg with R1 3R3 = 180mA & I need to get 500mA, to reach the 500mA I paralleled other 3R3 but the LED don't lit & the reg don't operate 0Vout when I take off the paralleled resitor & left only one resistor 3R3 the reg is going on perfectly:confused:

I want Vout 5.5V 0.5A, I use a tx 9V 1A = 9VA, I suspect that I need a tx with much power, right?

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I did not run it high for some application yet but I see only very little closed loop phase sliding from 200mA to 2A in LT Spice for a compound feedback pair output topology that it has. I would try it up to what is required and can be dissipated in short. But its not tested in something Ampere territory yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.