Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Electrostats vs conventional drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2019, 11:33 PM   #221
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
What's your real life experience with NO DUST COVERS?

I've heard one pair of ESL63s with no dustcovers and they did have less of the mid/HF delayed resonance that is their main audible fault.

But Peter Walker said they would need cleaning or even new diaphragms after a month .. sometimes after a week.
Obviously environment would dictate how long the panel would last without a dust cover. I get a lot of quads in with pretty grimy dust covers and the panels inside are pristine; except for the fact that the glue or diaphragms have failed. The dust has to get to the dust cover through the grille cloth and grilles and it still does.

Certain ranges of the quad 63's had extra bridge pieces with dacron that pushed on the middle-ish of the dust covers. I should do some measurements of a 63 with the plain dust cover and also with those funky things on them.

Also the newer ESL's and the early 63's have tensioned dust covers , while the majority of the 63 production run had loose dust covers in my experience. You can tell by picking one up and moving it around and you'll hear a woosh woosh noise of the loose dust cover moving around.

Sheldon
Old 18th March 2019, 09:30 PM   #222
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrlee View Post
...I'm really after real life experience with ESLs without dustcover....
Data point: recently put back into service some panels I made in early 70's. When in use and when in storage, I just throw a sheet of lovely synthetic paisley fabric over the panels. Working now as well as ever.

The Dayton-Wright cells have rather wide spacing and a bit of a dust bin at the bottom of each cell. I vacuum and heat treat once or twice a year.

Seems as good as ever, but I didn't do REW measurements long ago to compare to.

Of course, stock DW speakers are carefully sealed and have that welding gas inside for a number of great reasons.

Here's a photo from 1975 using celluloid technology in common use at the time. If you're a HiFi fanatic more than 60 yrs old, you may be able to identify the gear (the fabulous KT88 amp is home-brew).

B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1975 TTS-3000, AJ-15, KT88.JPG (102.8 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by bentoronto; 18th March 2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 18th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #223
stokessd is offline stokessd  United States
diyAudio Member

Not over 60, but those look like EL34’s to me
Old 19th March 2019, 12:16 AM   #224
mattstat is offline mattstat
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumotan View Post
Hi Gents,
Curious has anyone or is it possible to build a esl exponential horn loaded panel just for mids to highs.
Josef Merhaut had an Audio Engineering Society paper: "Horn-Loaded Electrostatic Loudspeaker"

He was also granted US patent 3590169A around then.
Old 20th March 2019, 10:34 PM   #225
AcoustatAnswerMan is offline AcoustatAnswerMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Data point: recently put back into service some panels I made in early 70's. When in use and when in storage, I just throw a sheet of lovely synthetic paisley fabric over the panels. Working now as well as ever.

The Dayton-Wright cells have rather wide spacing and a bit of a dust bin at the bottom of each cell. I vacuum and heat treat once or twice a year.

Seems as good as ever, but I didn't do REW measurements long ago to compare to.

Of course, stock DW speakers are carefully sealed and have that welding gas inside for a number of great reasons.

Here's a photo from 1975 using celluloid technology in common use at the time. If you're a HiFi fanatic more than 60 yrs old, you may be able to identify the gear (the fabulous KT88 amp is home-brew).

B.

That receiver looks very familiar - Heathkit?

Electrostats vs conventional driversHide this!Advertise here!