Need Raspberry Pi help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm doing this from memory, so forgive me if it's not clear.

Regarding connecting to a network share with volumio, if you don't get the setup right on first go, you should clear out the SMB settings in volumio, save if asked, then reboot.

First you want to connect your flash drive in the Windows system and make sure you can browse to the flash drive via a drive letter such as D or E or whatever letter is assigned to the flash drive.
By browse I mean open windows explorer, not internet explorer or other browser.

Your library on flash should be setup as: Library_name>Artist_name> Album1, Albume2, etc.

Right click the library_name folder and select share or properties> share tab.
Share the folder with Everyone. On security tab give your win user account read access to the Library folder. You could also give access to everyone. It's less secure but could eliminate security as the connection issue until you can figure out this out.

Find the name and ip address of the windows system and write them down.

In volumio, go to settings to enter cifs or SMB setting to connect to the library.
You can try both \\ip_address\library_name or \\computer_name\Library_name. One at a time.
If computer name unc works, its preferred because ip address can change on network. Computer name doesnt change. If DNS is setup on home network, name should work.

Remember, if connection fails, clear out settings save and reboot.
I've had to do this up to very recently, so if it's a bug, it's not fixed.

Good luck!

Vince

I tried plugging the drive into it and it didn't show up on volumio
The bulk of this forum thread has been focused on network sharing, since that was the original question, but now that the subject has shifted to direct connection of the USB stick, it's worth checking with Mr. Google - the search term "Volumio USB mount problem" yields much information, which I think boils down to 2 issues:

i) the operating system on which Volumio is based, Linux, is fussy about the integrity of filesystems, so if you fail to cleanly disconnect the USB stick from a Windows computer, then Linux (and Volumio) may fail to mount it. You can diagnose this by setting up SSH access to Volumio -
SSH - Volumio Documentation
and then you can run the "dmesg" command which will show you any filesystem and mount errors. Then you can run fsck to repair the filesystem.

ii) Linux/Volumio seems quite reliable with USB drives formatted with FAT32, but less reliable with NTFS formatted drives, and downright flaky with EXFAT formatted drives. See here -
HDD FAT32 or NTFS? - #12 by dvo - Help and Support - Volumio
Bottom line: re-format your USB stick with FAT32 if you want reliable access under Volumio when connected directly.

jwags818, I believe you have been provided with detailed information regarding USB drive mounting, and network share mounting, such that you are now in a good position to solve either, or both, of these issues.

It's a timely warning to any hifi enthusiast who wishes to jump on the Raspberry Pi bandwagon that the rPi is not an off-the-shelf solution, nor is it plug-and-play.
Some level of computer configuration skill is required.

Very true and well stated.
I’ve become so used to poking around with Linux/Unix for 30 years that I forget that others don’t possess that knowledge.
As great as these SBCs are they are not plug and play. I would recommend diet-pi to anyone interested in playing with one. It has tons of software to do various things and has a nice menu driven interface such that you really don’t need CLI (command line interface). It’s not volumio or picore, but for things like Roon endpoints and squeezebox it’s very good.
I use them for firewall, ad-ware/malware blocker (pi-hole), cloud server, Roon endpoints, analog to digital recoding device (to convert my vinyl) , and retropi game console. I also use a few arduinos as controller for my garden and fish tank lighting.
Anyways jwags818, I hope your on your way to having a nice usable widget that plays your music.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.