Need Raspberry Pi help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have spent 18 hours trying to make this work. Can someone please help me? I have a raspberry 4B. I am trying to setup volumio to use a USB stick plugged into my PC ( windows 10) for a library. I can not getit to see the drive and successfully mount it. Its driving me F'ing crazy and I am about ready to smash all of it.
Please I need serious help..

Volumio I’m not terribly familiar with but pi’s pretty much.
To test this, can you create a share on your Win10 box and see that from your pi?
I have 8-9 of the things doing various chores. Most are Roon endpoints.

Edit: I found this, it looks pretty good. The smb/cifs server would be your laptop.

[Guide] SMB/CIFS shares in Volumio 1.5 - Guides - Volumio

Let me know.

Last edited:
You aren't supposed to see the drive on a windows box, since volumio uses a stupid Linux img. I have tried to convert it to ISO one time to test with Hyper-V, but none of the image converters can read this IMG. I could however convert it using a Virtualbox command-line. Then it booted, but couldn't get any sound of it, but worked with virtualbox.
In most PI distributions You only see the first fat32 partition where You change boot options and WIfi stuff. I think Sysinternals Linux reader can read the contents of this partition, but can't write to it.

In order to create and share another partition, You'll have to ssh into the PI & execute some Linux commands. Perhaps a free partition manager can help.

It is advisable not to create a third partition for hosting music. Use another stick or card for this purpose and Volumio will mount it automatically.
I have tested Volumio, one time, but stuck with Picoreplayer since it has all Volumio features, works on all platforms and is free.

Reserve two IP addresses (Wired & WIFI) on Your router (create static leases) for the PI. This way You don't have to hunt for the address every time You want to log in or connect.
Those must be in the DHCP pool range of the router.

Last edited:
jwags818, billyk has pointed you in the right direction, but let me expand on what's involved;
Volumio on your rPi needs to be configured to access the USB stick as a network share. The filesystem on the USB stick is irrelevant, because Volumio will see this drive via a network filesystem, and since your network-share computer runs Windows 10, the network filesystem will be SMB/CIFS.

The link that billyk provided seems to have good setup instructions, and there's further information here -
Audio Sources - Volumio Documentation

One thing to consider before you start - network shares are usually configured by specifying the network share's IP address, so if your Windows 10 computer has DHCP, its IP address may vary between boots, messing up the client connection from the rPi. I think (?) there's a special case where an SMB/CIFS share can be configured via hostname not IP address, but I have never tried this myself ...
so you should consider setting up your home router to allocate a fixed IP address to your Windows 10 computer. This will make things much easier.

2 final pointers:
- under Windows 10 you must activate sharing for the USB stick - actually, it's easier to share a directory on the USB stick, since Windows does not like sharing an entire drive.
- as well as knowing the IP address, the Volumio network share setup also requires that you know the username and password of your Windows 10 computer.

Last edited:
You aren't supposed to see the drive on a windows box, since volumio uses a stupid Linux img.
perhaps you should try to get some more knowledge about Operating Systems and processor architectures before you write these kinds of strange remarks ("stupid is as stupid does")
I have tried to convert it to ISO one time to test with Hyper-V, but none of the image converters can read this IMG.
A Rapberry-Pi is based on a ARM-processor, so using this in a Hyper-V VM will not work because your Windows-PC is based on X86/ia64 architecture. It's like filling up your car-gastank with water and then expect it to run.
I could however convert it using a Virtualbox command-line. Then it booted, but couldn't get any sound of it, but worked with virtualbox.
VirtualBox has the ability to interprete ARM-code and then run it.
In most PI distributions You only see the first fat32 partition where You change boot options and WIfi stuff. I think Sysinternals Linux reader can read the contents of this partition, but can't write to it.
the first partition is always Fat32. That one you can see in Windows, but the actual linux partition is EXT-format. This you can't read by default in Windows, although there are programs you can use in order to read EXT-partitions.

Volumio happens to build also a X86-based version which you could run on a PC or in a Virtual Machine (Hyper-V or VirtualBox), but you may have trouble to get it to use the audio-ports of your PC (I haven't tried it myself)

https://updates.volumio.org/x86/volumio/2.873/volumio-2.873-2021-02-19-x86.img.zip

See also the Start Guide: https://cdn.volumio.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Quick-Start-Guide-Volumio.pdf

RAndyB has a point. Consider this; it's late at night and you want to relax and listen to some music, but jwags818's (potentially energy-hungry) PC needs to be running, just for the sake of drive access.
It makes better sense to locate the music storage drive at the music server, then configure the rPi so the Windows 10 computer can access the USB stick as a network share, to update the music library when required.

Or to keep your network storage even more flexible, get a network addressable storage device for music file storage. The only problem with this is that manufacturers of NAS boxes seem to make them bulky and expensive, possibly targeting high volume video storage users, not we hifi people. But I have found a small NAS that people here may be interested in - AirDisk Q1-USB NAS
Q1 USB NAS Adapter
It's presently available from AliExpress for US$45.

Attachments

• AirDisk-Q1.jpg
    AirDisk-Q1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 224
Thank you, linuxfan. I know it is old-fashioned, but when I buy new music, I walk the usb drive from the music system RPi to the bigger, faster RPi which is easier to download to, update the usb drive, backup to another drive, then walk it back. I avoid using cifs/samba.
Andy

A Rapberry-Pi is based on a ARM-processor, so using this in a Hyper-V VM will not work because your Windows-PC is based on X86/ia64 architecture. It's like filling up your car-gastank with water and then expect it to run.

I know. I own ARM devices. NAS & tablets. I worked with UNIX systems.

I've used the x86 IMG !! not the ARM one and it doesn't work with Hyper-V since it must be converted to ISO first. I believe Virtualbox also, but I'm not sure what I did at the moment. You can however dd it to an Hard-disk and boot from it. All conversion software I've tried can convert just one partition at a time and produce an ISO. It is not shareware licensing related, but I didn't use a Linux box although I have the Ubunto sub-system installed on my W10 machine. The x86 ISO made with Virtualbox command line didn't work with Hyper-V.

I've stuck with Picoreplayer since it has all Volumio features, is free and open source, supports many players & servers. On the RPI4 sound hardware was improved, so it works well with no glitches so far. Even Bluetooth & line in works without paying licenses to Logitech. Has support for many hats and a whole community for developing.
What I like in Volumio is the simple UI.

Don't mess with the pre-defined partitions on the disk. I've successfully created a third partition and a share on my RPI4 with Putty, but after a few days, there were errors on boot.

Use another thumb drive or external HDD for the music library.

But I have found a small NAS that people here may be interested in - AirDisk Q1-USB NAS

Indeed cheap, but presumably slow with a large library.
For example the WD My Cloud uses a faster 1.4 Ghz quadcore processor, WIFI and 1Gb memory and comes with an 2TB HDD for 170 $, but if you want several HDD's & Raid features expect to pay double or triple the price.

Getting the Windows share to work reliably caused me a lot of problems in the begining.
First off follow this video : How to Fix All Network Sharing Issues-Computer not showing in Network - YouTube
I found that having a username and password to acess the shared folder seemed to work better than leaving the fields in Volumio blank. Lat ly you need to fill in the options feild in volumio and the followin seems to work for me : vers=2.1,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777
So , on the windows machine chose the folder or drive you want to share and share it
Follow the instructions in the video to set up the permissions correctly and automatically start the services required for a functioning share.
Fill in the info on Volumio for a CFS (samba) share , including the ip of the windows machine , the shared folder eg D: a name of your choice for the share eg Music and the username and passeord you use to logon to the Windows machine. Fill in the options line ,click save and see if volumio mounts the share by putting a green tick beside it. If the share is mounted then you need to get Volumio to scan the shared folder to list your music. Hope that helps.

when I buy new music, I walk the usb drive from the music system RPi to the bigger, faster RPi which is easier to download to, update the usb drive, backup to another drive, then walk it back. I avoid using cifs/samba.
RAndyB, I see you have a working solution (of sorts) but my suggestion to use a NAS was actually directed at jwags818. I think that NAS unit I mentioned would provide an elegant solution in jwags818's situation.

Indeed cheap, but presumably slow with a large library.
Let's get some perspective here; we're talking about single-user access to audio files. Even such a cheap NAS in 2021 should meet this requirement satisfactorially. Heck, that NAS may actually out-perform the Synology DS115j which I bought in 2016, which was well reviewed at that time, and the Synology has served me well in combination with my music server for the last 5 years.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you, linuxfan. I know it is old-fashioned, but when I buy new music, I walk the usb drive from the music system RPi to the bigger, faster RPi which is easier to download to, update the usb drive, backup to another drive, then walk it back. I avoid using cifs/samba.
Andy

I use a similar method using multiple USB drives, but I do use sftp to sync drives to create the backups. I like to have my redundant backup disks not powered up. For me, a NAS with RAID, is just an unnecessary cost.

My music is stored on an 4TB HDD on my main PC. Where all I do my organization / tagging etc. When done a few albums say 50 or 100, I copy them manually to the NAS witch has an identical structure. I've given up with synch programs. They just don't work how I want. You change a single letter on a folder and You get two "identical" ones, one with the tracks and another empty one. You change a date and sync tells You folders aren't identical and wants to create a duplicate folder.
I don't do it directly on the NAS because it is 10 years old slow.
Every day my RPI does a folder rescan of the NAS during the night and updates the library removing / adding / updating tracks.

22664 albums with 318505 songs by 28934 artists... and still 10000 folders un-organized to add with many duplicates / different bitrate etc.
Bought / Gifted / Ripped / Borrowed from friends / Downloaded.
These were stored on data CDs for a long time. 5 years ago I begun to organize them...
End of this year perhaps it's done.

Music needs to be organized. I have about 400 albums in my primary "music" folders, probably twice as much in "2nds" (not greatest hits) and again in a ~trash folder that is poorly tagged and largely poor data rate (128Kbps mp3). Mostly I listen to a few tunes from the primary folder in the car. I do not live alone so it is rare that I can make a lot of noise. My Bluetooth headphones work anywhere in the house. I have considered a NAS but decided it would just be a security liability. My primary music fits in < 64G so keeping a copy on the car thumb drive, my phone and a computer with a 2.1ch speakers and I am covered. The biggest problem is that the car stereo flattens the directors. I could also use foobar2000 or VLC on my phone in the car with bluetooth but I think the sound is better from a thumb drive. None of these player are as good as my old Zune player. A bit of NIH?

I use:
Mediamonkey with tagging inconsistencies & regex find & replace scripts for tagging. Custom changed with only a few presets. Original has 300.
Mp3tag to view / clean all extended tags. I also use it for TAG-filename conversion sometimes on those trackxx files.
Foobar2000 for cleaning some pesky Gain & comment tags.
I use rebuild Mp3 or Fix VB3 header on those files.

If You have a network player / streamer it is mandatory to have all music organized & tagged. The same applies to mp3 players. If You are in the DJ thing, Track01.mp3 can contain any type of music from Classical to Death Metal.

I am using this raspberry Pi device with an attached one terabyte ssd attached USB drive:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-hi-fi-dac-case-for-raspberry-pi/description

The Volumio system will not boot from USB, although I understand there are plans to achieve this one day. I had difficulty formatting and configuring my ssd as a USB drive recognized by Volumio, according to instructions provided here:

m.2 extension – Tips for formatting the new ssd | Nanomesher

I succeeded in getting the ssd working after formatting it as FAT32 by connecting it to a different Linux (Ubuntu) computer and installing my music library. Volumio now recognizes it as a 958 GB USB drive. My large library in Flac format is easily accessible and not at all slow to navigate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.