Go Back   Home > Forums > >

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2020, 08:06 AM   #41
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

Partitioned FIR convolution would be very nice! I can't think of any features that I would need right now.
Old 4th March 2020, 08:12 AM   #42
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Dithered level control?

Run on a Mac?

Bloody cool stuff!!

//
Old 4th March 2020, 08:13 AM   #43
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona66 View Post
I totally agree, thatīs a sacrilege!

Debian Linux (no GUI) on an cheap Intel Board with SOtM USB Card & a SOtM clock, a cheap USB to SPDIF box from China, digitally to active speakers.

CPU load is 5% with convolution

kr
j
So how many taps would I get out of such HW without turning it into a toaster?

//
Old 4th March 2020, 08:56 AM   #44
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The solution I have in mind for dither is to implement it as a filter (one that only makes sense to have as the last step of the pipeline). It would accept a bunch of parameters, like target bit depth and filter choice. I'll probably start simple with only one filter.

For running on a mac I need some help. I don't have any macs around and I have no idea of how sound works on that platform. I guess Alsa and PulseAudio aren't available, but what is?
Old 4th March 2020, 09:00 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up on the dither. As it works on floats internally, dithering would also make sense for 24bit output IMHO.
Old 4th March 2020, 09:38 AM   #46
HenrikEnquist is offline HenrikEnquist  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfive View Post
Thumbs up on the dither. As it works on floats internally, dithering would also make sense for 24bit output IMHO.
I'll make the target bit depth a parameter, so dither for 24-bit will be there. Not sure it makes sense though with the best DACs having a SNR corresponding to about 21 bits. The dither will just be lost deep down in the noise.
Old 4th March 2020, 12:43 PM   #47
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Dither for 24bit is pure audiophile voodoo IMO, just like dithered volume control at > 20bit
Old 4th March 2020, 12:53 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Well, some people seen to think otherwise. I myself cannot comment on that as I never heard it in action. Would be nice to try it though and try to hear the difference. As Henrik might implement the dither algorithm it would probably be easy to add a parameter with the number of bits to dither to.

My gut feeling tells me the same btw - that dither at 24 bits is probably down in the noise.
Old 4th March 2020, 04:32 PM   #49
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi here

Lately i had been reading a lot about DRC stuff, finding it very interesting and for me a must try also i guess. I'am new into digital filtering and software optimising room correction stuff, so please bare with me if you think some quistions are to light.
My stereo in a midsize livingroom (all diy except speakers) is used as follows : i have all my old cd's on a NAS, where the Logitech media server (LMS) also resides for now. On the LMS i have "plugins" for Tidal / Qobus and Paradise radio etc... I mostly stream. The stream is feed into via Picoreplayer (Squeezelite) on a RPI 3B+ into an USB Amanero DAC, then preamp and last my poweramp, so pretty normal for 2020 i guess.
Also i would like to tell that i ordered the UMIK-1 usb mic. the other day, waiting for it to arrive within the next few day's.
I plan to if possible to run the DRC filters on an Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb), and have digital filters/room correction applied in realtime for if possible all rates (44.1Khz... 192Khz...)

So, after i read a lot for day's as i wrote i tried to install the LMS on my RPI4 along with BrutefirDRC (plugin for lms which should do realtime DRC) for having some more computerpower than my old NAS have.
The BrutefirDrc plugin was not the easiest part to get running, but without any special filters i got it up and running partially.

I hope it is possible to have Camilladsp within this chain somehow, but not sure how; this is ofcause depending on if i can make it run on the RPI.

So, finding it hard to find information on the net about the hole process, i hope someone can help clear out if this is the right way to handle such Room correction setup ?
(Not specific.)

1. Setup a mic. on software which measure impulses etc... from the room (e.g. REW / roomeqwizard).
2. Take measurements on left spk., right spk.. and export the data into another program which can generate FIR & IIR filters (one for each samplerate i guess?)
3. Load the filters on the convolver (Camilladsp in this case) and stream / play my music through the hole chain in realtime.

Rgds; Jesper.
Old 4th March 2020, 05:28 PM   #50
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Compiling on the PI

Hi Henrik.

Donno if you tried to compile your'e Camilla on the PI yet ? (Raspberry Pi)

I got those two errors ::

Quote:
Compiling alsa-sys v0.2.0
Compiling quote v1.0.2
warning: redundant linker flag specified for library `pulse`

Compiling signal-hook-registry v1.2.0
Compiling libpulse-binding v2.15.0
warning: redundant linker flag specified for library `pulse-simple`

Compiling signal-hook v0.1.13
Compiling rustfft v3.0.1
Compiling libpulse-simple-binding v2.15.0
Compiling alsa v0.4.1
Compiling serde_derive v1.0.104
Compiling serde_yaml v0.8.11
Compiling camilladsp v0.0.5 (/home/pi/camilladsp)
error[E0308]: mismatched types
--> src/alsadevice.rs:112:29
|
112 | hwp.set_buffer_size(bufsize)?;
| ^^^^^^^ expected i32, found i64

error[E0308]: mismatched types
--> src/alsadevice.rs:113:29
|
113 | hwp.set_period_size(bufsize / 8, alsa::ValueOr::Nearest)?;
| ^^^^^^^^^^^ expected i32, found i64

error: aborting due to 2 previous errors

For more information about this error, try `rustc --explain E0308`.
error: Could not compile `camilladsp`.
Maybe you know howto handle it ?

Rgds; Jesper.

CamillaDSP - Cross-platform IIR and FIR engine for crossovers, room correction etc.Hide this!Advertise here!