Hifiberry OS - did some one use it

Did anyone get it working with the IQAudio DAC+?
The OS auto selects dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac. However there's no output even though the player is playing music.

I've tried disabling auto select and using almost all the hifiberry dtoverlays and also dtoverla=iqaudio-dacplus with no audio output.

Did anyone get it working with the IQAudio DAC+?
The OS auto selects dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac. However there's no output even though the player is playing music.

I've tried disabling auto select and using almost all the hifiberry dtoverlays and also dtoverla=iqaudio-dacplus with no audio output.
Maybe issue is hardware volume control.
Try to disable it with Alsa.

New release 20220223
  • Add compatibility checks
  • Update kernel to 5.10.95
  • Update to buildroot 2021.11
  • Updated shairport-sync
  • audiocontrol2 websocket API by @schnabel
  • Bugfix: Set host name on MDNS when it changes
  • Bugfix: Shiaport-sync/nqptp
  • Bugfix: pause-all
  • Bugfix: Start scripts terminate if no power controller is available
  • Bugfix: Start squeezelite after network is onliney

HBOS works for HB boards but can do with others ones. If it doesn't, don't waste too much time.

New release 20220223
  • Update kernel to 5.10.95
  • Updated shairport-sync
  • Bugfix: Shiaport-sync/nqptp
  • Bugfix: Start squeezelite after network is onliney

HBOS works for HB boards but can do with others ones. If it doesn't, don't waste too much time.
The interface is really neat! Not to mention Airplay 2.

Any suggestions on alternates? Something with a nice interface. (Not Volumio obviously)

Got it working on the multibit. Plays quite well. Interface is very slow though.
Can you elaborate on how you succeeded? I would like to use HifiBerry RPi4 with Schiit Modi. I have tried altering the config.txt to the best of my ability, but I have not had success.

Also, is there an easy way to use the onboard RPi DAC to output through the headphone jack? Not for critical listening, obviously, but I do use it for cheap headphones at times.

Thanks.

Can you elaborate on how you succeeded? I would like to use HifiBerry RPi4 with Schiit Modi. I have tried altering the config.txt to the best of my ability, but I have not had success.

Also, is there an easy way to use the onboard RPi DAC to output through the headphone jack? Not for critical listening, obviously, but I do use it for cheap headphones at times.

Thanks.
So I'd say it's really not worth it. So I set it up first using a Allo Boss DAC. That got recognised as a Digiplus, however, the output was not right. I'd get stuttering audio out the DAC. I then removed the hifiberry.detect service and per post #80 of this thread. The removed the DAC and connect up the USB DAC. Aplay would show up the DAC and output would work fine.

All of this is moot because the in current release this work-around doesn't seem to work.

So I'd say it's really not worth it. So I set it up first using a Allo Boss DAC. That got recognised as a Digiplus, however, the output was not right. I'd get stuttering audio out the DAC. I then removed the hifiberry.detect service and per post #80 of this thread. The removed the DAC and connect up the USB DAC. Aplay would show up the DAC and output would work fine.

All of this is moot because the in current release this work-around doesn't seem to work.
Thank you for that. I tried the above strategy with my Schiit Modi, but I could never get sound.

Honestly, all I am looking for is a Tidal Connect endpoint for my Raspberry Pi. I was not happy with Volumio's interface, and the subscription model turns me off. HifiBerry doesn't make it easy without using their HAT. Any other options I am missing?

Note: I'm happy to start a new thread, if needed--no intentions of hijacking :) You guys are an amazing resource.

New release 20220228
  • Update kernel to 5.15.24
  • Updated shairport-sync
  • Update Bluetooth software stack
  • Bugfix: Shairport-sync/nqptp
  • Bugfix: Start squeezelite after network is online
https://github.com/hifiberry/hifiberry-os/releases/tag/v20220228

Thank you for that. I tried the above strategy with my Schiit Modi, but I could never get sound.

Honestly, all I am looking for is a Tidal Connect endpoint for my Raspberry Pi. I was not happy with Volumio's interface, and the subscription model turns me off. HifiBerry doesn't make it easy without using their HAT. Any other options I am missing?

Note: I'm happy to start a new thread, if needed--no intentions of hijacking :) You guys are an amazing resource.
Try moOde audio. It's not perfect, but it works well enough with Spotify.

I've tried Volumio, moOde and this. Hifiberry definitely has the best interface, but is the least stable/reliable of the three WRT the touchscreen. IIRC Spotify was not reliable with it either. And selecting sources was super unreliable as well. I'm trying to make my RPi + screen into a wife-friendly preamp and nothing is really cutting it.

I got it to work about a week ago after 8 months of trying off and on. I can't tell you how I did it though because I don't remember. I kept reading the instructions and I think I followed the instructions that does the full install for you and not having to type in too many commands. I watched the YT video but couldn't get it to work that way. I too wanted a minimalist OS to run Tidal Connect. I am using a Hifiberry DAC2HD so that probably makes it easier compatibility wise. I also have a Modi 3 but haven't tried outputting through it since I prefer the sound of the DAC2HD. If I get adventurous I'll try seeing if it works with the Modi but my days of fiddling (and patience) with computers is long gone so I was really surprised when I got it to work. I was ready to buy a Wiim Mini if I couldn't get it to work this one last try,

Last edited:
Release 20221118

• Fix a bug in range of the Amp3 volume control
  • Change DSP addon DSP profile to 1MHz SPI programming clocky
  • improve Digi2 Pro detection
  • improve volume control of Amp3/DSP add-on
  • Upgrade Linux kernel
  • Bugfix in DSP detection on the Beocreate 4 channel amplifier
  • Updated shairport-sync to latest version with improved Airplay 2 support
  • Bugfix in reconfigure-players
  • Update Raat
  • Integrate latest Amp3 driver
  • Improve system information
  • Bugfix: squeezelite and Bluetooth with Amp3 not working
  • Bugfix: power controller crashed audiocontrol
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/hifiberry-os-did-some-one-use-it.342281/