Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2018, 11:30 AM   #1
Tfive is offline Tfive  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linux

Hi there!

This is my first post to this forum with a new account and after a long hiatus (>10 years).

I'd like to announce the first public release of "Pulseaudio Crossover Rack", a program to design and implement multi-way speaker crossovers with linux, the pulseaudio audio server and a set of LADSPA plugins.

The installation instructions can be found on the homepage, the theory of operation, available filters and lots more on the Online Help page.

Currently there are builds for the amd64, i386 and armhf (targeted at RasPi etc.) architectures only (this only concerns the LADSPA plugins, the program itself is cross platform compatible as its written in python3/PyQT). The armhf build was only tested in an emulator, so I'd like to hear back from RasPi and similar SBC owners if it actually works.

Also any usage reports, suggestions, feedback on useability and bug reports are welcome (the latter not so much ).

Please keep in mind that this is the 1.1 release (as I screwed up packaging the 1.0 release) - but in a sense this is even more 1 than 1.0

Here's the obligatory screenshot:
Click the image to open in full size.

Have fun!

Jürgen

PS: There's also a Pulseaudio Parametric Equalizer available for thos who just want equalization and no crossover. If there's any interest and need for discussion I can open a new thread for it...

Last edited by Tfive; 21st November 2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 21st November 2018, 04:51 PM   #2
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

That looks like great fun and just what I've been searching for.

I will give it a run tonight after I return home from work.

Can it be configured for a 2.1 system ?
Old 21st November 2018, 04:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
That looks like great fun and just what I've been searching for.

I will give it a run tonight after I return home from work.

Can it be configured for a 2.1 system ?
I'm not exactly sure what the definition of 2.1 is... Stereo with one subwoofer?

At the moment there is a design limitation in Pulseaudio Crossover Rack: It's stereo only. I probably could add a "mono" button on the output configuration pretty easily. For now you'd have to sum up the two subwoofer outputs externally (easiest method with two resistors in series). Please tell me if my definition of 2.1 is even correct and if you would benefit from adding that mono summing on the outputs and then I will research how much effort it will take me to add this.
Old 21st November 2018, 05:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, 2.1= stereo mains and 1 sub-woofer.

Quote:
I probably could add a "mono" button on the output configuration pretty easily.
Yes !

Just installed the Parametric eq on this Ubuntu workstation....shhh don't tell the boss and it works wonderfully.

Installation and integration is very smooth and polished... excellent.
Old 21st November 2018, 05:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, 2.1= stereo mains and 1 sub-woofer.
Yes !
Your feature request is already on the 2do list. Give me a few days...

Quote:
Just installed the Parametric eq on this Ubuntu workstation....shhh don't tell the boss and it works wonderfully.

Installation and integration is very smooth and polished... excellent.
That's what I like to hear - thanks for the feedback! After all I will be searching for a new job as software engineer in a few days after a lengthy rehabilitation. Good to know that I can still write useful programs...
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:17 AM   #6
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Hats off to great and highly useful work! I am not worried about your job offers :-)
Old 22nd November 2018, 06:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Hats off to great and highly useful work! I am not worried about your job offers :-)
phofman means the job offers should roll in given the quality of your coding as demonstrated here !!
Old 22nd November 2018, 07:24 AM   #8
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hello Jürgen,

The link to the server does not seem to work.

Silly question: could you -for the sake of laziness& ease- add the standard-colors for the various (Rear Left etc.etc. ) outputs of multichannel soundcards in your "Output Sink" block? I am always struggling with these...

Thanks,

Eelco
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden View Post
Hello Jürgen,

The link to the server does not seem to work.

Silly question: could you -for the sake of laziness& ease- add the standard-colors for the various (Rear Left etc.etc. ) outputs of multichannel soundcards in your "Output Sink" block? I am always struggling with these...

Thanks,

Eelco
Sorry, my laptop at home, which is serving the website for cost reasons, is currently down. I will try to have it rebooted ASAP. I will try to move it to a more stable virtual root server by (not the most stable machine) the end of the year.

Could you elaborate on the coloring thing? Do you mean the multi select fields in the edit dialog for outputs or the background of the output widgets after you selected the channels?
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:55 AM   #10
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't you consider github or gitlab?

Pulseaudio Crossover Rack - multi-way crossover design & implementation with linuxHide this!Advertise here!