Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Any way to record the audio stream to the soundcard
Any way to record the audio stream to the soundcard
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2018, 05:46 PM   #1
thyristor44 is offline thyristor44
diyAudio Member

Default Any way to record the audio stream to the soundcard

Hello
I have a dell vostro1320/2.2ghz/2gb ram and want to record the digital audio stream on my motherboard. It is running puppy linux although anything linux could help. It has an intel hda 92HD81B1c5 soundcard.
I have tried audacity but whatever I do it records from the loudspeaker (as a mic) as well so seems to be recording the analogue output from the card.
Has anyone managed to record digital without converting analogue back to digital.
Thanks
thyristor44
Old 8th January 2018, 06:43 PM   #2
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

That would depend on exactly what you mean by "the digital audio stream". Can you explain this in a little more detail? Note that until audio leaves the computer through a DAC, it's all essentially "digital audio". What is the source of the audio (e.g. file, streaming, etc.)?

Anyway, sure, there is very likely a way to do it.
Old 8th January 2018, 07:12 PM   #3
jplesset is offline jplesset  United States
diyAudio Member

I doubt that your system is actually recording from the speakers as a mic. The "mic level" of a speaker connected to any output hardware would be so low as to be totally gone. More likely, you are recording from your mic input mixed with the sound. Try setting the mic to zero, or disabling that... I am doing something very similar, on Windows, and have simply minimized the mic in the recording mixer.
Old 8th January 2018, 07:51 PM   #4
vladimirb0b is offline vladimirb0b  United States
diyAudio Member

Check What You Hear Audio Recorder - Free audio software to record what u hear sounds
Old 8th January 2018, 08:02 PM   #5
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - How to capture audio output
Old 9th January 2018, 07:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That module is there so I will try to understand the rest.
Old 9th January 2018, 07:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
I doubt that your system is actually recording from the speakers as a mic. The "mic level" of a speaker connected to any output hardware would be so low as to be totally gone. More likely, you are recording from your mic input mixed with the sound. Try setting the mic to zero, or disabling that... I am doing something very similar, on Windows, and have simply minimized the mic in the recording mixer.
I have disabled the mic in alsamixer but it could still be working.
Old 9th January 2018, 07:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
That would depend on exactly what you mean by "the digital audio stream". Can you explain this in a little more detail? Note that until audio leaves the computer through a DAC, it's all essentially "digital audio". What is the source of the audio (e.g. file, streaming, etc.)?

Anyway, sure, there is very likely a way to do it.
The source is bbc iplayer and I would like to record it before the laptops dac or the input to the dac.
Old 9th January 2018, 08:57 AM   #9
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Audacity can record what's being played out to my various 'soundcards'. But then I'm running Windows 7. There is Audacity for Linux though so it'll be worth a look. I'm sure my Audacity isn't recording via a mic as I don't have one connected (nor any speakers for that matter).

Linux | Audacity(R)
Old 9th January 2018, 11:32 AM   #10
phofman is offline phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

You can either record from pulseaudio (e.g. scripts - Record a program's output with PulseAudio - Ask Ubuntu ), or from alsa using the snd-aloop virtual sound device and modified .asoundrc , as already described in some of the links posted here.

AFAIK recent firefox >= v.52 can output to pulseaudio only. Chrome should accept command-line parameter "--alsa-output-device='plug:spdif'".

Recording can be attained by many tools, both GUI and CLI.

Any way to record the audio stream to the soundcardHide this!Advertise here!