Windows playback software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not sure what we are doing differently but I can drag and drop in MusicBee v. 3.0.6335. Open MusicBee, open windows explorer, select a music file and d&d it to Playing Tracks, double click it and it plays. Out of curiosity why don't you just set up a MusicBee library which points to your music and select your music directly from MusicBee?

Strange I tried all combinations of same version for several minutes and it wouldn't work for me: I could not add d&d tracks during playback. As for the second solution, it would not be handy for my purpose: files on server being added (and played) from different systems and OSes.

Foobar can at least use ASIO drivers and therefore bypass Windows sound engine. That can avoid unwanted, sound quality reducing SRC (Sample Rate Conversion) and bit-depth reduction by Windows.

To explain further, Windows sound engine is designed to allow playback from multiple sound sources all at once, including those at different sample rates. Windows does that by converting all sound sources to the same sample rate and bit depth on the fly. By default everything plays at 16/44. Because the conversion is done in real time, resulting sound quality is not the best.

May be because it is 120$ per year and almost 500$ for life?

Remy

Yes, I won't argue that it seems a lot of money for a piece of software, but try and look at it another way.

First of all, the world nowadays is software based but people aren't used to pay for software. They do pay for hardware boxes though but the truth is that nowadays the price of these hardware boxes is in fact for the most part software development, so you do pay for the software, only it comes pre-installed in a box.

Roon does not come in a box so you can choose your own hardware. Before Roon I had a quite expensive audio optimized CAPS PC running MP3Tpoys and Foobar. It was always a hassle with operating system tweaking, power supply tweaking, etc etc, you know the drill.

With Roon playing over the network to a chaep endpoint cosisting of a raspberry PI the server computer doesn't matter anymore. The CAPS is now obsolete in the sense that any cheapskate computer willd do and it sounds excatly the same. In fact, via the raspberry it sounds better then the CAPS before. If I had to start from scratch this could have saved me around 1500 euro's on hardware. So expensive, ah, it's just the way you look at it. And besides, I now have three playback points all of the same or higher quality then the one playback point I had. And I can control it with 12 different devices I have lying around. And it integrates my own colection with a streaming service.

So is it perfect. Short answer, NO. I think a lot can be improved but it's still in development and has been out for a year now so who knows what the future will bring. Yes 500 euro's is a lot of money and I had to think twice, but in the end I'm very happy with it. Specially the remote controlling and zone playback that works right out of the box without the need to fiddle around with any settings.Just install Roon remote on any smartphone, tablet, laptop and it is ready to go to control Roon and also playback via the device, all without ticking any settings. As simple as that, and that is a pretty good accomplischment in my view. Oh, and did I mention room correction in all of your rooms, parametric eq in all rooms with just one server and a couple of rapberry's

Anyways, I'm not here to sell it to you. You might not even like it at all. In fact in some ways I still prefer MP3Toys for it's interface but the convenoence of using Roon is something special.

Fantastic! I have been lazily running a stock install of Foobar (DS output, shock horror!) but this has been increasingly bugging me (spending more time at my desk, working form home) and your reply was just the nudge I needed to do something about it. Thank you - Musicbee is downloading as I write this.

I have not, however, abandoned DIY hi-fi - my efforts have been on my main system, honing a RPi based system (LMS-PiCorePlayer). I just discovered the material skin for LMS - it's a revelation. It looks and work great on both desktop and mobile browser (better than any of the apps for Android in my opinion). Sorry, that's all completely off topic but I felt the need to share my news, I've not been around these parts for a while!

Aaahh... AVS... twinkling away on a CRT in the corner of the living room... through many post-club chillout! Gosh, I can't even remember when I last went clubbing... which either means I'm old and / or was doing it properly :):D:)

Trying to get my wife and kid to use the LMS system... grrr... they still prefer putting a CD in even though it means getting up off the sofa!

Yeah, I do miss the big covers and sleeve notes of LPs to look at - CDs and screens just don't cut it in that regard. Yes, a bit of flesh was always a bonus as a teenage lad (or should that be spelled boneus? :ashamed:)

Browsing the shelf and exercising the location memory is part of it too - CDs do that but not screens. I've always wished for an album selection screen based on CD spines on real shelves - that can be panned/scrolled but things can't be rearranged too easily (to give the location memory a chance to build up).

I wrote some very simple PC DJing software.
The list of songs in source directory are on the left.
You can drag and drop songs into right hand side play list.
It has progress bar showing how far through song is.
Also has time remaining.
Has a volume control.
It can also pick out 100 random songs or just play all.
You can pause songs and then unpause them.
dj-software.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.