Windows playback software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I would be grateful for advice as to which Windows software is in favour for hi-fi playback. Still foobar?

In case it matters, the system I am wanting to run it on is; NAS (FLAC) > via ethernet > Windows desktop PC > via USB > Aune T1 Mk 2 tube usb DAC > AKG K550 cans.

Thanks

Oli

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I believe there are numerous posts and threads on this subject. Some digging should find you many answers.

Have a serious look at JRiver media player. It does an excellent job of library management, can be remotely controlled in ways, has zones and a darn good DSP if you need that. I've started using it about 10 years ago and have not found anything better.

Still using Foobar here, with Foobar2000PRO on the Android phone for remote control. I like that it can play any format I want, and it's extremely configurable. I use an older version of JRiver Media Center for video because it does the best-looking, most glitch-free video of anything I've tried without a lot of screwing around. Don't care for its fancy interface though; I just use the file explorer window.

Nope. Still no d&d in v.3.
They prefer adding all sort of bells and whistles like cute images and lyrics... at the expense of basic functionality.

I'm not sure what we are doing differently but I can drag and drop in MusicBee v. 3.0.6335. Open MusicBee, open windows explorer, select a music file and d&d it to Playing Tracks, double click it and it plays. Out of curiosity why don't you just set up a MusicBee library which points to your music and select your music directly from MusicBee?

Roon for best multizone, multiremote playback with dsp eq and convolution filters. (room correction). There is a two week trial. Just try for yourself.

Can be controlled with unlimited remotes, any smartphone, tablet, laptop etc will do, all at the same time. Really nice. Can playback over your network to lots of endpoints at the same time. Really a turnkey solution for multiroom audio. Sounds good too. Not cheap though, but still cheaper then a CD player.

For best library management, still MP3Toys, my own personal all time favourite. Much much nicer interface then J.river, foobar, mediamonlkey etc etc. Cheap too. Sounds good to, no ASIO but it is based on BASS audio library engine, wich simply sounds good right out of the box.

Personally I really dislike J.river and Musicbee, just terrible cluttered interfaces. Nice if you are a music archiver but otherwise just way too bloated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I love JRiver, but do wish they had a sleeker interface for just us music lovers. You could make your own skin, but there ought to be an out of the box simple version.

Foobar is nice but as Jim says, it takes time and patience. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Another vote for J River, these days I use it mainly for format conversions, and for serving music for parties, but for a long time it was my preferred digital music source going all the way back to 2005. (I have a Sony HAP-Z1ES now and have had for several years in a quest for simplistic digital playback, the fact that it sounds better than the multiple boxes of hardware it replaced is a big bonus)

Foobar is nice but as Jim says, it takes time and patience. :)

Yup. And when both of those are in short supply, we get something like this (it ain't pretty, but it works):

Attachments

• JimsFoobar.gif
    JimsFoobar.gif
    79.2 KB · Views: 217
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.