Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry Pi
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2018, 08:13 AM   #681
Hugh Jazz is offline Hugh Jazz  Taiwan
Banned

I didn't know about OPA861 - very interesting! I'm still going to pursue the TPA6120 route though because it has the ability to drive a low impedance filter and that, I hope, will maximise an R2R AD1862 output.

I have a few ESS dacs so I was curious about whether a dual mono ES9038Q2M beats the single ES9028Q2M - I am about to start playing with a MiniDSP nanoSharc and I have been looking for 4 inexpensive DACs for that and settled on the 9028Q as the best within the budget.
Old 22nd November 2018, 03:28 AM   #682
iancanada is offline iancanada  Canada
diyAudio Member

@Hugh Jazz

I did some test to my dual mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT last weekend with my new designed LifiPO4 battery power supply. I have to say I'm really happy with the sound quality.

The configuration was:

RPi + FifoPi(with CCHD957 XOs) + ESS controller(isolated mode) + dual mono ES9038Q2M HAT + OPA1632 balanced I/V + LifePO4 power supply (all in one).

Develop ultra capacitor power supply and LiFePO4 battery power supply

I'll get the single and the dual mono ES9038Q2M DAC HAT compared the next to see how much to get improved.

Click the image to open in full size.
RpiLifePO4_1
by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
Old 22nd November 2018, 03:41 AM   #683
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

You’re a hell of a nice designer Ian! I’m really impressed!!!

When can we buy that RpiLifePO4 PSU ?

Thanks
Do
Old 22nd November 2018, 03:49 AM   #684
diyAudio Member

@pinnocchio

I'll open a new interesting list in the GB thread very soon.

Regards,
Old 22nd November 2018, 08:57 AM   #685
pistollero is offline pistollero  Portugal
diyAudio Member

RpiLifePO4 looks very good with those green cells !!
The dac on that compact size is also very nice.
Congratulations Ian
Old 29th November 2018, 11:10 AM   #686
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancanada View Post
Hi soundcheck,

Thank you for noticed my Ikea lamp, it's doing great job to light up my DAC HAT .

I have a Pi 3. I'll try your wifi configuration to see if I can 100% shut off the RF signal. Some audio gears are very sensitive to RF noise when they are exposed closed to wifi antennas, such as OPA1622. I'll do some real measurement to the RF noise levels. I'll post some update once I have.

Regards,
Ian

Hi Ian, did you ever check that the RF signal is completely shut down with soundcheck's recommended settings?
Old 30th November 2018, 12:46 PM   #687
simon dart is online now simon dart  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Ian, just checking... your first gen IsolatorPi will work with this hat and controller?
Old 30th November 2018, 01:04 PM   #688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon dart View Post
Hi Ian, just checking... your first gen IsolatorPi will work with this hat and controller?
Yes, both IsolatorPiII and IsolatorPiI work for this new ESS controller.

For IsolatorPiI, you will need to assemble the additional GPIO by your self if you want the controller working in isolating mode. IsolatorPII has this GPIO port pre-assembled already.

Regards,
Ian
Old 8th December 2018, 03:44 PM   #689
Johnny HIFI is offline Johnny HIFI
diyAudio Member

I need a little help, does anyone here have this Dac Board
http://oi66.tinypic.com/258wjtv.jpg

here is my 1st cheap diy starter build.
http://oi68.tinypic.com/16ap7xx.jpg

OK i have a problem, is the volume level on this Fixed or Variable? Mine is around 8% but i have to crank my amplifier %100 to hear only %8 of the volume, am i the only one having this issue, does this needs to be connected to a preamp?

i found this blog

ES-SABRE FORUM (Update) + HC-06 BT Rename + Dietpi 6.4 (+ES9028Q2M) – ES Sabre-90xx-Rpi

i asked the person there if the volume controls on the pcb worked, he said that it did without any software, just add some Tactile buttons or equivalent.

i added them but they don't work.

Now my question, am i the only one having this issue, did you had this same issue, did you resolve this or is it just how this Dac board is made and there is no way to fixed it?

Any answers i will greatly appreciate them.
Old 9th December 2018, 01:58 PM   #690
CallMeMike is offline CallMeMike  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny HIFI View Post
I need a little help, does anyone here have this Dac Board
http://oi66.tinypic.com/258wjtv.jpg

here is my 1st cheap diy starter build.
http://oi68.tinypic.com/16ap7xx.jpg

OK i have a problem, is the volume level on this Fixed or Variable? Mine is around 8% but i have to crank my amplifier %100 to hear only %8 of the volume, am i the only one having this issue, does this needs to be connected to a preamp?

i found this blog

ES-SABRE FORUM (Update) + HC-06 BT Rename + Dietpi 6.4 (+ES9028Q2M) ES Sabre-90xx-Rpi

i asked the person there if the volume controls on the pcb worked, he said that it did without any software, just add some Tactile buttons or equivalent.

i added them but they don't work.

Now my question, am i the only one having this issue, did you had this same issue, did you resolve this or is it just how this Dac board is made and there is no way to fixed it?

Any answers i will greatly appreciate them.

You'll find more help in a different thread where your board has been discussed at least twice... Check this link, please:

Chinese ES9018K2M I2S DAC

ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, 9038Q2M DSD/I2S DAC HATs for Raspberry PiHide this!Advertise here!