Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + Squeezelite
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2020, 07:47 AM   #371
djedje7676 is offline djedje7676
diyAudio Member

I didn't change the amplifier, what is strange is that with exactly the same hardawre config, I test the 3 distributions on 3 SD cards and the sound is very different.
Could it be a difference in the driver for my Hifiberry DAC (I don't know if the developpers have the choice between several drivers as for windows hardware for instance or if the driver is generic and the same for all developpers)?

By the way I didn't try to go back to Picore 5 to se if there is a sound difference with Picore 6!
Old 9th April 2020, 07:56 AM   #372
drtebi is offline drtebi  United States
diyAudio Member

I am no expert at this, but I had a similar problem just last week with my computer's soundcard (running Linux). It turned out to be a setting in the ALSA mixer, the de-emphasis switch was on (or off?)... Just thought I would point that out. Run alsamixer and check... maybe the hifiberry doesn't have that setting, but maybe it does. Worth a try.
Old 9th April 2020, 07:58 AM   #373
djedje7676 is offline djedje7676
diyAudio Member

I will look at this, thanks!
Old 9th April 2020, 09:22 PM   #374
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djedje7676 View Post
Could it be a difference in the driver for my Hifiberry DAC (I don't know if the developpers have the choice between several drivers as for windows hardware for instance or if the driver is generic and the same for all developpers)?
hi djedje7676,

Most of the popular Audio HAT manufacturers get their drivers included into Raspbian. Once there, we include them into piCorePlayer. This process ensures it's not violating open source licenses. I assume other distributions do a similar thing.

We usually don't include drivers from other locations as they often have been taken from closed source software or have violated a NDA or license. Some HAT manufacturers don't do the right thing!

HiFiBerry was one of the first manufacturers to get drivers into Raspbian and as such, others often leverage HiFiBerry drivers.

BTW: When messing around with the speakers did you accidently get one wired in reverse. If speakers are wired with different phases the sound is partially cancelled.

regards
Greg
Old 5th May 2020, 04:25 PM   #375
Blitz is offline Blitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

I followed soundchecks advise on his great website and build basically a LMS server based on my xeon file server, so a real machine, and a RP4 with Ians fifo feeding I2S into a Soekris DAC.

The good news...I got music and what I hear is very very good. I will cross compare to other Linux distros and players, but currently it feels like it got everything right. Tone, transparency, dynamics...all there...very natural and alive.

A few detailed questions:

- Whats the best ipad remote software ?
- How thick needs a NAS to ne in order to run LMS ..not sure I want a big machine running always 24/7...x86 min ?
- Is there a difference in sound Rp2 vs. Rp 3, Rp4 or even allo usbridge ?

Last edited by Blitz; 5th May 2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 5th May 2020, 09:43 PM   #376
diyAudio Member

Ok, I went into some serious listening tonight and compared my sofar reference mpdpup with usb and alix/sotm to RP4 with fifopi and picoreplayer:

They share the same clarity with picoreplayer a tad more trebles and therefore potentially clarity. Alix very similar, but warmer, fuller tone. Like you change a Tube. So people with a warm Svetlana 300B might like to compensate this with picoreplayer and others with a Kron 842 the other way round.

Both have a similar quality level in terms of cohorence and realismn, very good.

I like the menus of the picoreplayer and see many option to tweak the sound I guess. So, if I would like to give the picoreplayer (realtimekernel) a bit more of the fuller tone (withoit loosing too much transparency)....what would you tweak ? I will start comparing the standard kernel with the RT i guess with the same settings otherwise...
Old 6th May 2020, 11:08 AM   #377
diyAudio Member

Can I take the Picoreplayer-SD-Card from the RP4 now simply and plug the same card into a RP3 or RP 2 ?

So, is the system configuring it self with each re-boot or is this done with the first boot from the SDcard, so once it installed itself towards one version of the RP the same card is only good for this one platform ?
Old 6th May 2020, 06:21 PM   #378
drtebi is offline drtebi  United States
diyAudio Member

Why don't you just try it out? You cannot break anything. It's not like the system re-rewrites some configuration on your SD card when you boot into a different system... so I would just try it. I do that with computers all the time... I connect a hard disk that has Linux on it to a completely different computer as the one where it was installed. Sometimes it works without problems... sometimes I get some errors, but it will never just make the disk unusable afterwards.
Old 6th May 2020, 09:39 PM   #379
Greg Erskine is offline Greg Erskine  Australia
piCorePlayer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Can I take the Picoreplayer-SD-Card from the RP4 now simply and plug the same card into a RP3 or RP 2 ?

So, is the system configuring it self with each re-boot or is this done with the first boot from the SDcard, so once it installed itself towards one version of the RP the same card is only good for this one platform ?
Hi Blitz,

Depends, but probably OK.

Initially the piCorePlayer image is compatible will all versions of the Raspberry Pi.

If you then start loading extra extensions, pCP will only download extensions compatible with the host RPi. Most extensions are compatible with all RPi's but a few are dependant on architecture. The RPi's CPUs are single core, quad core and the RPi4 is a different quad core. The RPi4 pCP kernel is 64bit vs 32bit for the others.

What I really like about pCP is it takes only about 10 seconds to burn a SD image. So very little pain to start again.

regards
Old 20th May 2020, 06:12 AM   #380
joe is offline joe  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Squeezepad

Hi Blitz,

- For me the best ipad remote is Squeezepad (Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad). Nice and clear layout, no nonsense, It does everything I want from it.

- I run my LMS on a Synology NAS with a 2Ghz ARM processor and 512MB RAM. Works without problems although I wouldn't mind more speed when loading e.g. long artists lists. If this is limited by the LMS hardware I don't know.

There are some nice Celeron based backbones from Gigabyte (BRIX) or Intel NUC which can be used to build a low consumption, low cost x86 based system which should be more powerful. May be worth checking.

piCorePlayer = piCore Linux + Raspberry Pi + SqueezeliteHide this!Advertise here!