Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

As a followup to my earlier message about installing gmusicapi:

gmusicapi has 24 dependencies. Some of these are already present at this stage of the build recipe and most are easily brought in via 'pip'. As I mentioned earlier, the killer is lxml which is a subdependency of gmusicapi via MechanicalSoup. It takes approximately forever to build it.

On a fresh r40b9 install, I got to the "COMPONENT 7 - Optionally install gmusicapi" step and first installed two of the dependencies via the apt repos:

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install python-future python-lxml

after which I ran
Code:
sudo pip install gmusicapi

It took just 2 minutes for the install to finish on my RPi3B.

Note that there are other dependencies available via the apt repos but I chose not to install them because there are "interesting" constraints imposed on acceptable versions which I chose to let 'pip' sort out.

Regards,
Kent

PS - don't get confused by the pip vs debian naming conventions. pip wants "lxml", which is not a reference to a C library but a Pythonic binding to the C libraries lxml2 and lxslt; debian offers it in the package "python-lxml".

Thanks, it works!

After I could not get my audio interface to work I replaced it with a Hifiberry DAC. The glitches are gone.

Today I have been trying all day to get the UPNP renderer to work again in harmony with BubbleUPNP on the same Pi. I had this setup running on my old Raspberry and now I have reset it countless times, played around with the GUI settings and still the renderer won't show up in BubbleUPNP.

I remember setting up UPNP to work with Tidal the first time being a bit problematic but I managed to sort it out by restarting it a few times. This solution is not working in the new setup.

Any ideas what I could do now?

I don't get why you'd bother with a low res, resistive touch screen when android / kindle fire tablets are so cheap. You can glue one to your Pi's case if you're that set against mobility. ;)

Yes, I thought about it, but sometimes I want to control Pi without network, so would be good the local, always on display. It's my own mania, so if it will come true, thats good, if not, I'll survive... :)

Hi,

I'm trying to get a sense of how popular "local display of the UI over HDMI or Touch Screen" would be. Its been on my TODO list for a long while now and maybe its time to do it :)

-Tim

It would be a great option. All my use is headless, but I can see opportunities to add a screen (now I have my cnc router fired up!)

It seems to be a stumbling block for many so a ‘factory’ display option would be popular, I think.

I don't get why you'd bother with a low res, resistive touch screen when android / kindle fire tablets are so cheap. You can glue one to your Pi's case if you're that set against mobility. ;)

Just a few use cases I have heard over the years, all valid. The nice part is, it doesn’t force you to do anything you don’t want:

I want to make a “beach speaker” and I don’t want to carry a tablet with me.

I have an old radiogram that I want to have a modern interface in place of the old tuner panel.

I want a permanent waterproof control embedded in the top of my outdoor table

I want a panel in my kitchen cupboard door

I want a control in my sauna

Hi all,
i really (really :p) enjoy Moode Audio ... so i spent some time to completely batch the build process with a raspberry PI running another OS (in my case, volumio :D).

If someone want to try it ... i have uploaded a zip file with instructions and 2 install files.
In the zip you will also find 2 logs files with my last test of the process (theses are useless for the process ... it is just to show it was OK on my PI3)

Zip file is here : Uploadfiles.io - MoOde Automatic Install.zip

Tim feel free to use it ... i cannot mp you before posting ... your box is full :D
If you not agree with that, let me know i will delete this post.

Regards.
Great. I will try it.
Just a question....

What do you mean in the instructions that "An SD card with an USB writer to create the Moode Audio OS on it" is needed? Since I do not own a USB SD writer, if I skip that step, will I end up with an ".img" written in the working directory? (assuming I have enough space in it)? If so, I could then copy the img file manually on my Mac and burn a new sd using Etcher.

Thanks

Last edited:
After I could not get my audio interface to work I replaced it with a Hifiberry DAC. The glitches are gone.

Today I have been trying all day to get the UPNP renderer to work again in harmony with BubbleUPNP on the same Pi. I had this setup running on my old Raspberry and now I have reset it countless times, played around with the GUI settings and still the renderer won't show up in BubbleUPNP.

I remember setting up UPNP to work with Tidal the first time being a bit problematic but I managed to sort it out by restarting it a few times. This solution is not working in the new setup.

This is the script I used to install BubbleUPnpServer on Moode Beta5:

Code:
#Install Java runtime
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-jdk          

#Install BubbleUPnPServer in /usr/local/bin 
sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin/BubbleUPnPServer
cd /usr/local/bin/BubbleUPnPServer
sudo wget [url]http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/BubbleUPnPServer-distrib.zip[/url]
sudo unzip BubbleUPnPServer-distrib.zip

#Configure automatic start at boot and stop at shutdown 
cd /etc/init.d
sudo wget [url]http://www.francescomoretta.com/foto/varie/tidal/BubbleUPnPServer[/url]
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/BubbleUPnPServer
sudo update-rc.d BubbleUPnPServer defaults

Not tested yet on Beta 6/7/8 or 9... I'm planning to do asap.

Last edited:
Update on DietPi+moOde

I just downloaded and installed the testing version on an RPi3B with Ethernet connection. Basically burn a small image to uSD card, insert it and power up. After a while (I forgot to time it, but the maintainer sez to expect 20m to 60m) the familiar moOde Player web client appeared in my browser. No time to kick the tires tonight.

This is a barebones version of beta9 but huzzah the automated install process is alive.

Regards,
Kent

Update on DietPi+moOde

I just downloaded and installed the testing version on an RPi3B with Ethernet connection. Basically burn a small image to uSD card, insert it and power up. After a while (I forgot to time it, but the maintainer sez to expect 20m to 60m) the familiar moOde Player web client appeared in my browser. No time to kick the tires tonight.

This is a barebones version of beta9 but huzzah the automated install process is alive.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent, I see the image is arm6 so I'm going to give it a try on a 'not uSD card'... :) and a PiB...... will report in several hours when it completes...:D

Update on DietPi+moOde

Regards,
Kent

Beta 9 up and running! Must faster install than the manual way. On Rpi 3 = arm7.

PiB does not start automatically as advertised... but once logged in over ssh it does...42 minutes later and it says completed but on reboot and attempts to load webpage all I get is....

Welcome to nginx!

If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required.

For online documentation and support please refer to nginx.org.
Commercial support is available at nginx.com.

Thank you for using nginx.

Are you wanting to install BubbleUPNPServer just for Tidal? If so you no longer need this as UPMPDCLI can do this. Enable UPMPDCLI in the UI and configure the username and password in the optional UPNP bits in the WebUI.

This will then show up as an extra library on your network in bubble control app.

I haven't to test the latest betas due to work and now decorating but this works on Beta 5 which I am using now (or would be if not for painting the HiFi room ahem I mean the 'Dining room' dear.).

The Moode UPNP Media Server this creates can also serve other Raspberry Pi's in your network so you only need to configure this on one Raspberry PI.

The OHOME features of the Bubble Server are also in UMPDCLI , the BubbleUPNP control does not support OHRADIO anyway.

Great. I will try it.
Just a question....

What do you mean in the instructions that "An SD card with an USB writer to create the Moode Audio OS on it" is needed? Since I do not own a USB SD writer, if I skip that step, will I end up with an ".img" written in the working directory? (assuming I have enough space in it)? If so, I could then copy the img file manually on my Mac and burn a new sd using Etcher.

Thanks

I mean a Micro sd usb adapter ... something like this :
High Speed Micro SD Card Reader – Maximum 128GB – Black – PiShop.us

regards.