Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

Very odd. There were no changes to the working code in cover art extractor in moOde 3.8, just an update to use newer versions of the default song and radio covers. My collection is all FLAC w/embedded art and no issues. Can never rule out a regression though...

To troubleshoot try the url below using one of the song files where cover art is not displayed. You can find the path to the song file in Audio info screen.

Start the song file playing and then from a fresh Browser window enter the url. Cover art image should be displayed in Browser.

http: //moode/coverart.php/PATH_TO_THE_SONGFILE

Example:

http: //moode/coverart.php/NAS/Music/Lee Ritenour/Rhythm Sessions/02 River Man.flac

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Just to add another data point. I am on my third reformat reload of moOde 3.8 and I too have experienced missing cover art. Each of the two previous times it was the same song files that are missing artwork. They are all FLAC files and they were all processed in exactly the same manner. I will check the coverart.php as you suggest one the current NAS Sources Update is finished. I find that 3.8 is much slower than 3.6 or 3.7 doing the update. It takes more than an hour, but I don't really know how much more as I go do something else while it is doing the update.

I also noticed a couple of other odd things.

- The keyboard is defaulted to: gb
- The layout is defaulted to: English(UK)
- I too had the problem with expanding the root file system

Cheers, Bryce.

Update:

I tried to display the coverart.php URL as you suggested. It displays moode/images/default-cover-v5.jpg.
I also tried this with a song that was displaying the cover art correctly and the coverart.php URL displayed the correct picture.

Last edited:
Hi Bryce,

File system expand should work ok but there is a bug that causes the wrong message to be displayed in System config. Its fixed and will be part of the Bugfix update.

My collection is all FLAC on a simple moOde Pi Samba NAS with attached SSD and I didn't notice MPD Update taking any longer, however its new MPD 0.20.9 and compiled with libav-only codecs so can't rule out an issue.

Are u using embedded art only or a mix of embedded and image file or only image file (folder.jpg, etc)?

-Tim

Last edited:
Hi Bryce,

File system expand should work ok but there is a bug that causes the wrong message to be displayed in System config. Its fixed and will be part of the Bugfix update.

My collection is all FLAC on a simple moOde Pi Samba NAS with attached SSD and I didn't notice MPD Update taking any longer, however its new MPD 0.20.9 and compiled with libav-only codecs so can't rule out an issue.

Are u using embedded art only or a mix of embedded and image file or only image file (folder.jpg, etc)?

-Tim
Hi Tim,

Every file has embedded art and every directory has the file folder.jpg. This is unchanged from my 3.6 and 3.7 installs. All files are FLAC but there are varing resolutions from 44.1-16 to 192-24. Most images are between 600x600 and 1000x1000.

So far I have been unable to find a pattern to the artwork that doesn't show up. I would say it is around 5-10% of the artwork is no longer showing up.

I also noticed that the missing artwork is for the whole album directory, not an individual song.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Every file has embedded art and every directory has the file folder.jpg. This is unchanged from my 3.6 and 3.7 installs. All files are FLAC but there are varing resolutions from 44.1-16 to 192-24. Most images are between 600x600 and 1000x1000.

So far I have been unable to find a pattern to the artwork that doesn't show up. I would say it is around 5-10% of the artwork is no longer showing up.

I also noticed that the missing artwork is for the whole album directory, not an individual song.

Cheers.

My experience is very similar. My collection is very mixed - m4a ripped by iTunes, flac, ape, and mp3 from a variety of sources over the years. The m4a files have embedded art and all display correctly AFAIK. The others generally have folder.jpg but no embedded art. I am not able to discern a pattern in the missing artwork for these files.

It seems no one except me believes that the sound quality has dropped, so it must be system specific.

I made comparisons 3.7 vs 3.8 on my system consisting in Rpi 3b with ultralinear power supply, CEC CD5 dac/cd player, Rega Osiris Amplifier, Marten Django L speakers. The second system we tested was made of Rpi 2 with ultralinear power supply, Accuphase C-2420 preamp + Accuphase A-47 power amp combo, Luxman D-06n DAC/Cd player, Triangle Magellan speakers.

On both systems the sound in 3.8 is more aggressive, highs seem to clip from time to time (usually on high dynamic range recording such as Molinari's version of Traviata from DECCA records), volume seems higher.

So, going back to 3.7 and the inability on rpi3b and CEC CD5 dac combo to play DSD and other FLAC resolutions except 16/44.1, i went a bit deeper and it seems that not the sampling rate is the problem but the container.
mp3- play the same as DSD, with static like noise over music, DSD (DoP only as my DAC doesn't do native) - i can hear music but with loud white noise over. AAC and other apple formats seem to be unaffected.
Flac files play well in 16/44.1 but other sampling rates begin to click regularly after 10 seconds from start.

Any idea, opinion is welcome.

Forcing fixed 16/44.1 output does not have any impact on the sound. So something happens before the PCM stream is sent to the DAC via USB.

Sorin

I am now using Moode 3.8 and I cannot get Wifi to work. Wifi worked with 3.7. I now have to use AP moode or Ethernet. Any one have any ideas?

I use a raspberry zero W and some wifi's work , others dont. (my tp-link powerline repeater is not visible) If for some reason I cut power everything is gone and needs to be reinstalled. Very annoing! Why dont default AP mode show up if no wifi in range ?

It seems no one except me believes that the sound quality has dropped, so it must be system specific.

I made comparisons 3.7 vs 3.8 on my system consisting in Rpi 3b with ultralinear power supply, CEC CD5 dac/cd player, Rega Osiris Amplifier, Marten Django L speakers. The second system we tested was made of Rpi 2 with ultralinear power supply, Accuphase C-2420 preamp + Accuphase A-47 power amp combo, Luxman D-06n DAC/Cd player, Triangle Magellan speakers.

On both systems the sound in 3.8 is more aggressive, highs seem to clip from time to time (usually on high dynamic range recording such as Molinari's version of Traviata from DECCA records), volume seems higher.

So, going back to 3.7 and the inability on rpi3b and CEC CD5 dac combo to play DSD and other FLAC resolutions except 16/44.1, i went a bit deeper and it seems that not the sampling rate is the problem but the container.
mp3- play the same as DSD, with static like noise over music, DSD (DoP only as my DAC doesn't do native) - i can hear music but with loud white noise over. AAC and other apple formats seem to be unaffected.
Flac files play well in 16/44.1 but other sampling rates begin to click regularly after 10 seconds from start.

Forcing fixed 16/44.1 output does not have any impact on the sound. So something happens before the PCM stream is sent to the DAC via USB.

Sorin
Hi Sorin,
On my system, bass on v3.7 sounds a bit punchier and tighter compared to v3.8. It's subtle though.

Ed

You are correct regarding bass but in can live with that.
Yes, every difference is subtle but those subtleties make for great sound (cues for positioning and soundstage, tonal balance, etc). Of course I might seem to nit-picking but as a music lover hardliner and fundamentalist audiophile, those subtle details seem like night and day to me.

Anyway, got used to using moode 3.7 so will stick to that for a while before going the Aurender route.

Sorin

Interesting, but not obvious why.

Which kernel did you test with?

Is the same 'harshness' present in all three kernels?

Cheers,

Phil

My experience is very similar. My collection is very mixed - m4a ripped by iTunes, flac, ape, and mp3 from a variety of sources over the years. The m4a files have embedded art and all display correctly AFAIK. The others generally have folder.jpg but no embedded art. I am not able to discern a pattern in the missing artwork for these files.
Artwork:
I didn't notice this earlier because my primary interface to Moode is through the Soundirok app which caches album artwork, but when adding an album to Moode the artwork didn't come through. The process being somewhat less than bulletproof on Soundirok's end I cleared the local image cache which causes it to refetch all artwork and now all artwork displays as blank. The artwork does however display as normal accessing Moode via a browser in as many albums as I cared to try, but entering the http ://moode.local/coverart.php address into the address bar yields the default artwork (as does http ://moode.local/mpdmusic and http ://mode.local/path-to-music-file). This is with mixed mp3/alac stored on a USB attached drive, most have embedded art but all have cover art as cover.jpg in their album folder. Update: I did find a few albums where cover art failed in the browser in spite of it being present both embedded and as a file.

Sound:
It does seem to be a bit brighter, whether that's good or bad probably depends on your setup and/or the mastering of the music playing.

Other:
I don't usually use the dlna server but I noticed the view db progress link uses moode:8200 which doesn't work (in iOS Safari anyway), moode.local:8200 does. The actual dlna server works regardless.

Last edited:
Tested with all three kernels, the smoothest seem to be the LL-one but bass seem less controled.

Aiff, flac and aac streams, all present the above mentioned harshness. Particularly aac streams sound metallic which is not the case in 3.7. As DSD does not play correctly in 3.7 i could not make a direct comparison with an well known recording.

Before going the moode way, I used Rune and Volumio, with a slight preference to Rune. With 3.6 and 3.7 afterwards, Moode just blew away Rune in terms of sound, relaxed yet detailed, very organic and quite close to EUR 3000 Aurender N100 H transport I have demoed for three days.

Artwork:
... The artwork does however display as normal accessing Moode via a browser in as many albums as I cared to try, but entering the http ://moode.local/coverart.php address into the address bar yields the default artwork (as does http ://moode.local/mpdmusic and http ://mode.local/path-to-music-file).
I must have picked one of the few unlucky albums where the artwork doesn't show in the browser when I tested path-to-filename because now that I've tried it on a few more albums that does generally work.