Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

Just a friendly repost :)

Moode 2.6 Test Release 1 (TR1) is available for download at moodeaudio.org under the TEST CODE button.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Tim

No problem here bringing up r26-tr1 on my RPi2 Model B with HiFiBerry DAC+, Canakit WiFi adapter, music files on local USB stick and remote SMB server. The AP is a nice touch!

Regarding the Readme (aka Player Setup):

1. I suggest you amplify the instructions for the benefit of new users, especially where there are alternatives. For example, the initial setup might read:

Code:
1. INITIAL SETUP
a) insert sd card
b) connect USB or I2S audio device
c) connect USB storage devices
d) choose either Ethernet or WiFi Access Point as the initial remote connection mode
- Ethernet Mode
et.1) insert ethernet cable
et.2) power on
et.3) connect to your new Moode Player from another computer on the local network using a web browser and the URL ...
- Access Point Mode
ap.1) insert WiFi adapter that supports AP mode
ap.2) power on
ap.3) on another computer with a WiFi interface, join the AP network SSID=Moode, pwd=moodeaudio
ap.4) connect to your new Moode Player from this computer using a web browser and the URL ...

[I omitted the URLs because of my bugaboo with the diyaudio CMS interpreting them]

2. The Readme doesn't mention how this release switches between WiFi AP mode and WiFi host mode. Also, given the number of times the topic comes up, it's probably worth mentioning that stock Android devices don't resolve the .local domain. My wife used to tell me: be specific to be terrific!

3. I noticed a couple really trivial typos:
In "3. TIME ZONE...., a)" there's a missing forward slash in the URL
In "AFTER PLAYER SETUP...3(c)" configuration is misspelled

As an aside, I am *very* happy with moodeOS. The closer you get to upstream Debian, the easier life is for contributors and I hope for you too.

Many thanks for both your hard work and for your thoughtful design work. Moode is a pleasure to work with.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Thanks for the 2.6 Update, Tim. Very nice. A question to the AP mode and the Adapters. i have the "standard" Edimax WiFi adapter in use which does not support AP by default. But there seems to be a solution to make it work as AP.

Is it possible to integrate this Support in the next TR?

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Wish it were because the EDIMax adapters are really nice but the "solution" is a hack that was developed for a specific recompiled version of hostapd and modified EDIMax drivers and it does not work with the version of hostapd in the Jessie repo or the stock EDIMax drivers in 4.1.19 kernel.

Regards,
Tim

Hello everyone
I'm happy user of Raspberry Pi 2 and Soekris DAC working altogether quite nicely. Im using LMS right now but encountered a problem when playing DSD files - looks like the signal coming out of squeezelite player is not good enough. Was just wandering if moode player supports DSD files format and I'm tempted trying this out - it seems to be interesting project.

Hi,

Moode is based on MPD and thus supports DSD over PCM (DoP) format or on-the-fly conversion to PCM.

-Tim

Hi Patrick,

Wish it were because the EDIMax adapters are really nice but the "solution" is a hack that was developed for a specific recompiled version of hostapd and modified EDIMax drivers and it does not work with the version of hostapd in the Jessie repo or the stock EDIMax drivers in 4.1.19 kernel.

Regards,
Tim

Do the stock 8192cu kernel drivers and hostapd work with this hostapd driver for the 8192cu?

https://github.com/pritambaral/hostapd-rtl871xdrv

Cheers,

Phil

No problem here bringing up r26-tr1 on my RPi2 Model B with HiFiBerry DAC+, Canakit WiFi adapter, music files on local USB stick and remote SMB server. The AP is a nice touch!

Regarding the Readme (aka Player Setup):

1. I suggest you amplify the instructions for the benefit of new users, especially where there are alternatives. For example, the initial setup might read:

Code:
1. INITIAL SETUP
a) insert sd card
b) connect USB or I2S audio device
c) connect USB storage devices
d) choose either Ethernet or WiFi Access Point as the initial remote connection mode
- Ethernet Mode
et.1) insert ethernet cable
et.2) power on
et.3) connect to your new Moode Player from another computer on the local network using a web browser and the URL ...
- Access Point Mode
ap.1) insert WiFi adapter that supports AP mode
ap.2) power on
ap.3) on another computer with a WiFi interface, join the AP network SSID=Moode, pwd=moodeaudio
ap.4) connect to your new Moode Player from this computer using a web browser and the URL ...

[I omitted the URLs because of my bugaboo with the diyaudio CMS interpreting them]

2. The Readme doesn't mention how this release switches between WiFi AP mode and WiFi host mode. Also, given the number of times the topic comes up, it's probably worth mentioning that stock Android devices don't resolve the .local domain. My wife used to tell me: be specific to be terrific!

3. I noticed a couple really trivial typos:
In "3. TIME ZONE...., a)" there's a missing forward slash in the URL
In "AFTER PLAYER SETUP...3(c)" configuration is misspelled

As an aside, I am *very* happy with moodeOS. The closer you get to upstream Debian, the easier life is for contributors and I hope for you too.

Many thanks for both your hard work and for your thoughtful design work. Moode is a pleasure to work with.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

It shouldn't be too easy to use, otherwise no one will learn to appreciate Linux ;-), but thanks for the suggestions. I'll update the readme for the next TR :)

-Tim

Tim, will you be able to list compatible USB WiFi adapters that work with AP and MoOde, or know where to point to find out?

Hi,

I tested Pi 3 integrated and Canakit WiFi adapters and these work in AP mode, and the EDIMax adapters that I have do not work in AP mode. Beyond that I have no way of knowing whether other adapters actually work in AP mode.

-Tim

Sure, well here's a link for Rpi USB adapters that might be useful. Only a handful seem to be tested with AP support though.

In general, devices with RTL8188CUS work great as wifi access point. If you plan to use your raspberry pi in ad hoc mode, you must verify that your adapter is using the nl80211 driver. Wifi adaptors using RTL8188CUS driver will not work in ad hoc mode.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I replaced Henry's modded v2.5 on my Pi3 with the TR. Henry's system worked fine inc my USB hard drive music source.

With the new TR, Radio works OK, but I am having problems with TR finding my USB hard drive sub folders. When I start DB update, I get a spinner in the browser tab for a couple of seconds then it stops. A USB icon appears in the browser window, but none of my sub folders are shown

I would investigate further, but I need to SSH in, What is the username and password for ssh? Root and moode do not work.

many thanks

regards

Patrick

Hi Tim,

Would it be worthwhile to create a Google form or something similar where people could paste a Wifi hardwire / driver / ID dump and confirm if it is working or not? What command should we be running to produce a useful output? Or will this become too much of a headache to continue to trouble shoot or support given the number of wifi chips out there?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hi Tim,

I replaced Henry's modded v2.5 on my Pi3 with the TR. Henry's system worked fine inc my USB hard drive music source.

With the new TR, Radio works OK, but I am having problems with TR finding my USB hard drive sub folders. When I start DB update, I get a spinner in the browser tab for a couple of seconds then it stops. A USB icon appears in the browser window, but none of my sub folders are shown

I would investigate further, but I need to SSH in, What is the username and password for ssh? Root and moode do not work.

many thanks

regards

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

USB drives are mounted by disk label to the /media folder in Moode 2.6 TR1 and should appear under the USB folder in Browse panel.

ssh pi@moode (pwd=raspberry)

To troubleshoot, first verify that Linux recognized the disk by looking at output from lsusb cmd, then check dmesg and /var/www/syslog for errors.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

many thanks

regards

Patrick
for SSH the user is "pi" and password "raspberry". When you're in go to /mnt/USB and check the permissions, user-ID and group-ID of the directories/files. By default the permissions should be 755 for directories and 644 for files in order to be found by the mpd-user. Also, the user-ID and group-ID should be the same as the mpd-user.

With the NAS-mount it's quite easy to change the user-ID and group-ID, but
with files on a USB-disk it's a bit more difficult.

First I would advise you to try to change the permissions on 1 directory and the files in this directory:

sudo chmod 755 /mnt/USB/<mount name>/<directory name>
sudo chmod 644 /mnt/USB/<mount name>/<directory name>/*
sudo chown mpd:mpd /mnt/USB/<mount name>/<directory name>
sudo chown mpd:mpd /mnt/USB/<mount name>/<directory name>/*

redo the scan and check if you see the directory and files in Moode.

when this works for this direcory you can change the permissions of all directories and files with 3 commands:

sudo find /mnt/USB/<mount name> -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
sudo find /mnt/USB/<mount name> -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
sudo find /mnt/USB/<mount name> -exec chown mpd:mpd {} \;

I hope this helps you.

In this end everything works well. The fastest setup I have had yet. The AP is very convenient, and will be extremely helpful, much more that I had anticipated when I first saw your idea presented. My Synology NAS and USB stick were both immediately recognised. Thank you, Tim! I will now remove the modded 2.5 for RPI3, no need for it anymore.
- tested with RPI3 and Hifiberry I2S+ pro

1. @mshavs #2594 Thank you for your advice, unfortunately, you are not helping, your advice is incorrect, see Tim's reply immediately above. The usb hard drive is mounted on /media and not /mnt!

2. @Tim #2593 Hi Tim, I ssh'd in/ found /media haD no drive mounted against it.

My USB hard drive came from an old Openmedia vault NAS, one of a raid pair, so it has the disk label "openmediavault:0"

I mounted it manually, i.e. sudo mount /dev/disk/by-label/openmediavault:0 /media

I did not change any permissions , remember the drive worked OK in MOODE v2.5!

Moode then started to update the database, I can now see all my music and it plays files OK.

Questions:

1. What disk label is Moode expecting?

2. What is the method Moode uses to find the disk label and mount the drive on /media?

3. What should I do to fix this problem permanently.

I could try to relabel the drive, (e2label), but I don't want to bu**er up access to the
drive, shall I relabel it and if so what label shall I use?

cheers

Patrick

Hi Tim,

Would it be worthwhile to create a Google form or something similar where people could paste a Wifi hardwire / driver / ID dump and confirm if it is working or not? What command should we be running to produce a useful output? Or will this become too much of a headache to continue to trouble shoot or support given the number of wifi chips out there?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Hostapd will either successfully configure the adapter for AP mode or it will fail which indicates the adapter does not support AP mode.

I might be willing to maintain a list of user-confirmed AP mode adapters at moodeaudio.org.

Let me know if that would work.

-Tim

In this end everything works well. The fastest setup I have had yet. The AP is very convenient, and will be extremely helpful, much more that I had anticipated when I first saw your idea presented. My Synology NAS and USB stick were both immediately recognised. Thank you, Tim! I will now remove the modded 2.5 for RPI3, no need for it anymore.
- tested with RPI3 and Hifiberry I2S+ pro

Hi Henry,

What format is your USB stick?

-Tim

1. @mshavs #2594 Thank you for your advice, unfortunately, you are not helping, your advice is incorrect, see Tim's reply immediately above. The usb hard drive is mounted on /media and not /mnt!

2. @Tim #2593 Hi Tim, I ssh'd in/ found /media haD no drive mounted against it.

My USB hard drive came from an old Openmedia vault NAS, one of a raid pair, so it has the disk label "openmediavault:0"

I mounted it manually, i.e. sudo mount /dev/disk/by-label/openmediavault:0 /media

I did not change any permissions , remember the drive worked OK in MOODE v2.5!

Moode then started to update the database, I can now see all my music and it plays files OK.

Questions:

1. What disk label is Moode expecting?

2. What is the method Moode uses to find the disk label and mount the drive on /media?

3. What should I do to fix this problem permanently.

I could try to relabel the drive, (e2label), but I don't want to bu**er up access to the
drive, shall I relabel it and if so what label shall I use?

cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Correct, there should be no need to change permissions or ownership on USB mounts.

What format is the USB disk?

-Tim