Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

DoP is basically the same as native DSD, just describing the DSD stream with PCM format identifier and adding an extra marker byte each 16 bits of the DSD stream. The actual DSD data are left intact.

Both streams get split and wrapped into USB frames, there is never nothing like "not touching the sound file". What counts is the resultant bitstream entering the DSD DAC chip. And that is identical with native DSD and DoP. No room for any data changes. Only DoP works with the legacy PCM intrastructure (of course configured to be bit-perfect), while native DSD requires adding the DSD format specifiers to the sound layer.
I am running Teac with Squeezebox infrastructure for two years already. Back then LMS didn't support even DoP, so as a workaround I converted all DSF files into Flac encoded DoP using Foobar2000. I still keep my music library arranged that way even today. DoP is as good as native DSD - same bitstream, just packed into container that LOOKS like PCM, but it is not. Teac happily reports that it processes DSD64 or DSD128.

Kimmo reply...

"Hi Stephane,

The real native (non DoP) DSD support requires changes in kernel, ALSA, squeezelite and some other areas of Daphile (settings, squeezelite initialization, ???). Actually the 3.18 kernel series or at least 3.19 has the support for it. Also the ALSA 1.0.29 version is officially released but that's not yet labeled as stable in Gentoo (and not included even in private Daphile builds). The biggest obstacle currently is the lack of support in squeezelite. I have connected the squeezelite developer (Adrian Smith, "Triode") about this sometime in January or February but currently I have no information whether he is working on it. At least there has been any commits in the squeezelite repository master branch (https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/source/list) since Feb 1st. Maybe he has taken some vacation too ;-).

If squeezelite gets the real native DSD support, I'll try to do the required changes to Daphile also. However I'm probably not going to make any official new public release during my trip because I can't test the build properly before releasing. The "private" development builds can be found at Index of /tmp.qSPQbWD3rw . For example now there is 15.04 version that's based on kernel 4.0."

But why go through the DOP so that we can make the native ?

Why not? It is like asking "Why go through TCP and IP, when you could put the raw, "native" bits over the ethernet directly?"

The UAC2 integrates native for over a year now and it is urgent that ALSA and Squeezelite do the same ...

Urgent? Why?

DoP is a perfectly fine (and audibly transparent) way of conveying the audio data.

The perfect illustration of why relying (only) on sighted, subjective evaluation is a dangerous thing.

Why subjective evaluation is dangerous ?
Each evaluation of sound quality is subjective and what...!

But the question is not on this point, why encapsulate DOP while we can do natively? The TCP-IP checks his information, the PCM no...
In any case, when Squeezelite be native with the latest ALSA, Kimmo also make Daphile native ... Hope Squeezelite quickly integrates these ALSA settings.

Each evaluation of sound quality is subjective and what...!

Evaluation is, but comparison does not have to be. I very much doubt you could tell a difference between DoP and native DSD in a proper blind listening test.

But the question is not on this point, why encapsulate DOP while we can do natively?

The samples will always be encapsulated in the transmission layer packets. There is no way to transfer raw samples from the file into your DAC without encapsulation. Even the file is split into parts on your hard drive.

The TCP-IP checks his information, the PCM no...

Why do you keep comparing TCP/IP to PCM? These two terms have nothing in common and are irrelevant to this discussion. There are neither TCP/IP packets nor PCM samples in DoP or native DSD transmission. The packets are transmitted over USB in isochronous mode, no checksumming occurs in either native DSD or DoP, the USB controller does not care about the actual meaning of its data payload.

Evaluation is, but comparison does not have to be. I very much doubt you could tell a difference between DoP and native DSD in a proper blind listening test.

Not really possible since the native is only possible under Windows: TeacPlayer between native and DOP in Daphile with the same file DSD64 or 128, there is a gap. Does the method of transmission or TEACPlayer itself, I can not say ...?

The samples will always be encapsulated in the transmission layer packets. There is no way to transfer raw samples from the file into your DAC without encapsulation. Even the file is split into parts on your hard drive.

Can you explain that to me ? In native too ?

Why do you keep comparing TCP/IP to PCM? These two terms have nothing in common and are irrelevant to this discussion. There are neither TCP/IP packets nor PCM samples in DoP or native DSD transmission. The packets are transmitted over USB in isochronous mode, no checksumming occurs in either native DSD or DoP, the USB controller does not care about the actual meaning of its data payload.

This is the concept of "container" I referred to, nothing else ...
In the case of DOP, the PCM serves as a "container."

Hello
I have started using Daphile for a few days now.
I use a Intel NUC with celeron.
Before i have used some other clients, Logitech touch, Rpi with picoplayer and Squeeze on Arch,
LMS is on a synology nas and has not changed.
I have some strange actions in the playlist:
When i add a song via play next, it does not come directly after the current playing song. There is 1 song kept inbetween (Sometimes 2).
when i delete that song from playlist... it is played anyway and after that the inserted song is ignored and does not play. very weird
Very hard to select songs that i like to listen to this way...
Also, when the last song in the playlist is playing and i add a full album (add to end) it does not play. playlist stops al last song. first song of new album can be manually started.

Did a full rescan of library but diddn't solve the issue.

I have made some changes to try solve my issues with Daphile and play list behaviour...
I moved LMS from Nas to the local installation on Daphile but it didn't solve the playback issues.
Also tried an other android client but did not help either.

Am i the only one with play list issues?
Would like to hear what is happening to others when adding a song in the play list with play next...
Does it come directly under the current playing song (and is it actually played?)

Hi,
I am a new Daphile user, and impressed by the concept. I installed Daphile on a Dell laptop with Core 2 Duo processor (just for testing), USB HD, and Monica USB NOS DAC. It is running very smoothly. Despite all the positive comments in this forum, I am not happy with the SQ. It sounds muddy and colored, not very musical. I am comparing it to streaming to the same DAC using JRiver from another computer, which sounds better (more neutral and lively). Since everybody is very enthusiast about Daphile's SQ, there must be something wrong in my setup or settings.

I use FLAC, and have read in another forum that transcoding FLAC to PCM resulted in a big improvement for Daphile, but this had no effect in my case. (Advanced Media Server Settings>Advanced>Formatting>File Type>FLAC, FLAC:disabled; PCM:enabled

Can anybody help?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hi,
I am a new Daphile user, and impressed by the concept. I installed Daphile on a Dell laptop with Core 2 Duo processor (just for testing), USB HD, and Monica USB NOS DAC. It is running very smoothly. Despite all the positive comments in this forum, I am not happy with the SQ. It sounds muddy and colored, not very musical. I am comparing it to streaming to the same DAC using JRiver from another computer, which sounds better (more neutral and lively). Since everybody is very enthusiast about Daphile's SQ, there must be something wrong in my setup or settings.

I use FLAC, and have read in another forum that transcoding FLAC to PCM resulted in a big improvement for Daphile, but this had no effect in my case. (Advanced Media Server Settings>Advanced>Formatting>File Type>FLAC, FLAC:disabled; PCM:enabled

Can anybody help?

I am not certain, but I think something has changed in Daphile. Originally, I was very impressed with the sound quality. Some revisions back, though, I found that I was no longer as impressed - and this has remained so over the last few revisions.

Yesterday I finally decided to try something different. I will be setting up a distributed MPD system over the coming days and I can only hope that it ends up being the right solution for me. The files will reside on my NAS, which will be running the MPD database proxy as well. Then my music server (also running MPD) will access the files via SMB and use the proxied database on the NAS. Control will be with an Android app.

I am not certain, but I think something has changed in Daphile. Originally, I was very impressed with the sound quality. Some revisions back, though, I found that I was no longer as impressed - and this has remained so over the last few revisions.

Yesterday I finally decided to try something different. I will be setting up a distributed MPD system over the coming days and I can only hope that it ends up being the right solution for me. The files will reside on my NAS, which will be running the MPD database proxy as well. Then my music server (also running MPD) will access the files via SMB and use the proxied database on the NAS. Control will be with an Android app.
Why did you update software? You could run old version. I run 2 years old version of Squeezelite and LMS and have no issues with either. If something works to you satisfaction - why upgrade?

I am not certain, but I think something has changed in Daphile. Originally, I was very impressed with the sound quality. Some revisions back, though, I found that I was no longer as impressed - and this has remained so over the last few revisions....

It's not your imagination my friend. Unfortunately, I swapped daphile with a properly-setup foobar/win7 last week and instantly found what I was missing!

Back in October 2014, the sound was very good. Later revisions had bad sound and rather it didn't change.

Only with direct comparison with other solutions will show it (objectively).

Sorry guys, no "proofs" here!

It's not your imagination my friend. Unfortunately, I swapped daphile with a properly-setup foobar/win7 last week and instantly found what I was missing!

Back in October 2014, the sound was very good. Later revisions had bad sound and rather it didn't change.

Only with direct comparison with other solutions will show it (objectively).

Sorry guys, no "proofs" here!

which version of foobar uses ?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Why did you update software? You could run old version. I run 2 years old version of Squeezelite and LMS and have no issues with either. If something works to you satisfaction - why upgrade?

I suppose there was no real reason to upgrade, except bug fixes and new features.

But there were several things that also bothered me about Daphile, so it was time for a change.

The MPD setup will take some planning and work at the command-line, but in the meantime I have vinyl, which always sounds good to me.