F4 power amplifier

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually, what I'd really like to know is

"what's in Nelson Pass' personal system at the moment?"

second question,

of all the amps in your system Mr Pass, which one enjoyed the longest reign (as I'm sure you must change amps just barely more often than Steenoe) :D

twitchie said:
Actually, what I'd really like to know is

"what's in Nelson Pass' personal system at the moment?"

second question,

of all the amps in your system Mr Pass, which one enjoyed the longest reign (as I'm sure you must change amps just barely more often than Steenoe) :D

I would phrase the question as: Which amp was the most fun?

My bet would be "Zen Lite!" :D

Variac said:

Did anyone in your family get the audio bug? Do they just see it as "dad's job" ?

I imagine the "dad's job" attitude wins the day. No one around here seems to want to be a writer, nor do they want to do electronics, brew beer, camp, etc. Kids have this perverse way of wanting to be themselves. Which is probably for the better in my case, elseways I'd have ended up in textiles--an even more dead-end career than the one I'm in.

Grey

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
lumanauw said:
How many are there non-PassLabs/Nelson Pass designs?

Most are raw parts. A lesser amount are in subassemblies of
unfinished pieces. Only a small quantity are finished prototypes
or product.

Originally posted by twitchie "what's in Nelson Pass' personal system at the moment?"

of all the amps in your system Mr Pass, which one enjoyed the longest reign?

Wadia, D1, the Grado Statement cartridge (love it) in a
KAB / Technics turntable, Aleph Ono, X1 preamp, XVR1 driving
a pair of mono F4's and Audax P380's in big transmission lines
and an F3 driving Lowther PM6A's with Ticonol and a passive
EQ network.

This system is 4 weeks old and will expire soon. Some pieces will
stay in the system, but no amp or speaker stays more than a
few months at a time.

Originally posted by Variac Nelson, what systems did you send your kids off to college with? Did anyone in your family get the audio bug? Do they just see it as "dad's job" ?

My son built a 3 way with horns and a 15" woofer, my daughter
has a Seas 2 way in a short line. They think it's perfectly cool
what I do, and we like most of the same music. We just
celebrated their 21st and 18th birthdays.

:cool:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kids have this perverse way of wanting to be themselves.

I'm amused to note that my friends that are musicians often have kids that are musicians also- the kids can't help it, they often have talent, and they see how much fun their parents have. My bluegrass playing friends have two sons. One plays classical piano and was a music major at U of Indiana, the other is a sax jazz player. They rebel by the type of music!

I suspect my son will want the family 2 way 15" bass, horn tweet party speakers someday once he in in college. HE won't have a pass amp though like Nelson's son probably does!

Hi!

In ZV9 thread I asked about distortion measurements of ZV9 as a current amp vs. F2. Silly me:ashamed: These graphs are in the f2/zv9 papers. Ouch.

While I was playing with my ZV8, I found that I prefer the sound without feedback. It was somehow more open and relaxed, more musical. With feedback, it sounded a bit sterile. After a bit of experimenting, I ended with two amps in my system. 1. F2 with lightbulbs, and 2. ZV9 (with feedback)

While both sound good, again I found myself preferring the no-feedback option. Guess which amp is playing right now: F2 (lite) !!!

Speakers are Visaton B200, imprisoned in a (sort of) sealed box (I promised them an OB), with the correction network (I am still playing with various values)

I am thinking about removing the feedback on ZV9.

I am surprised that so few (anyone) that have built ZV9 have decided to use it as a current amp.

I'd also like to know whether Nelson uses F3 as a current amp.

Thanks,

Vix

Variac said:

I'm amused to note that my friends that are musicians often have kids that are musicians also- the kids can't help it, they often have talent, and they see how much fun their parents have. My bluegrass playing friends have two sons. One plays classical piano and was a music major at U of Indiana, the other is a sax jazz player. They rebel by the type of music!

I suspect my son will want the family 2 way 15" bass, horn tweet party speakers someday once he in in college. HE won't have a pass amp though like Nelson's son probably does!

I've played music since I was a sprout, but that came out of nowhere. None of my family ever showed any serious interest in playing music before I came along. My two older kids both picked up an interest in playing. One later dropped it. The other still plays some. We'll see what happens with the newer set.
Like Nelson's, my kids seem to think it's pretty okay that I'm an author, but they show no indications of doing so themselves. Beer? They'll drink it if I brew it, but again, they won't do the brewing. They're quite content to listen to the big system, but don't know a resistor from a lima bean.
Trust me...I'm hoping I can get the twin boys interested in some of this. They may only be five months old, but I hold up parts and say, "This is a resistor. This is a capacitor. This is a MOSFET." Will it work? Who knows. I've tried the same with my four year-old, but whether because she's a she or because of her youth, or because of an innate lack of interest, she just rates parts according to whether they have pretty colors on them. It'll be at least five or ten years before this experiment runs its course.

Grey

EDIT: I phrased that poorly...I didn't mean to imply that Nelson's kids have any opinion on my writing. Only that my older ones think that it's neat that I write, even though they're never shown the slightest inclination to do so themselves.
Sort of a passive approval, if you follow what I'm saying. Active approval to be interpreted as following in your footsteps, rather than just giving you a thumbs up.

HE won't have a pass amp though like Nelson's son probably does!
Variac, do you realise, that this line of yours is really sad? With a Dad moderating at DIYaudio, your son really is entitled to listen to the best amp's;) Namely Mr. Pass's:) Do show your son how to build one.... The youngster might even learn a few things, along the way.
I feel a bit bad, cause I more or less promised you the results of a listening session with the F4, hooked up to efficient speakers. My time didnt permit much of that sort, lately. I did have a sneak listen, that was very promising, though:) I wont even have time, next week, cause I will be visiting this place: http://www.visitazores.org/Home.aspx?Language=EN&IslandFilter=Todas
So I guess you will have to wait a bit longer:D I dont care, the place should be like walking through a postcard:D
Regarding the parent/kid disussion, I have had an easy time getting my sons hooked on my main interest. Being a natureman and a flyfisher at the same time, I took them to the beach as soon as they could walk:) The little guy's caught interest in the life, that is plentyfull in the shoreline at once:) I never had to show any of my sons a shrimp twice!! Once is more than enough.
At the bottomline, we are hunters! Programmed to detect motion!
I usually see 10 animals in nature, before the average city guy, sees one:D How the #### do you do that, they ask, when picking up some lizzard for the ump'teenth time! No problem. I say: use your senses:D They were given to you as a gift, when you were born:smash: But I guess thats another story:)

Steen:cool: