Update on Pa's new F5?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Well, you didn't ask for guesses, but...

1) PSU will be SMPS based. Could be used for all FW amps.
2) Potentially reworked (either circuit changes or recommended part changes) for thermal management through the thermistors.
3) Perhaps different recommended output devices since (I think) existing devices are obsoleted. Although there is still a ready supply of the Vishay components from reputable sources. Original Harris and/or Fairchilds are tough to get. This may also carry over to other FW designs.

Overall, my guess is a movement toward making builds safer and more accessible to a wider range of builders. This seems to fit the spirit of the FW DIY path. Again, everything is total speculation with the exception of the PSU, which has been rumored. Some of it is based on what's been done with the new Aleph J boards and carrying that logic forward. Perhaps.... if dreams come true, there could be some very simple measurement techniques or settings to optimize P3 similar to the guidance provided re: values for the H2 devices and the Korg NuTube.

Maybe call it a wish list vs. a guess.

:cheers:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Regarding SMPS, two units in series might work, if they have 2 pole IEC320-C8 AC inlets. The units with 3 pole IEC320-C14 AC inlets usually have the negative output tied to AC ground (denoted by "-V conneceted to AC FG" in the datasheet), so you can't connect them in series (you can, but, you really shouldn't).

Two of the Mean Well GSM220B24-R7B AC-DC Medical desktop adaptors might do the trick.

Hello out there,

Dirk is very interested in a new F5ST (super turbo) with big bad IXYS-hockeypucks with a stable bias regulation.
Why? Because I am breaking my mechanical working brain...:confused:
Two optoisolators measuring the current over the bias resistors? Very precise regulator and some heat compensation (NTC-thermistor)?....Or some blinky, blinky green LEDs in ZenMod-style?

Dirk is very patient and can wait for a new recipe from the master! ;)
We will see and hear...and read...

Cheers
Dirk :D