SIT-3

I always wanted a PASS amp, but didn't really have the cash for one. I heard a SIT-3 that was factory and really liked it. I know we can build a 3X, but I wanted to give something back to one who has given us so much, and also have one direct from Papa.

I went looking for a SIT-3 and could not find one in stock, so I gave Kent a call and asked if he could find one. He did the legwork and came back with, what is likely, the last SIT-3 still in the box/wild.

It just so happened Fred Kat/li had one left in a box and was willing to part with it. I jumped on it and it's shipping out of CA and will be here Friday.

I'm excited to have an amp from the shop, I might even build one and do some A/B stuff and measurements. Heretofore, I never had the real deal to test.

I know this isn't a huge money deal and Nelson doesn't really need the cash especially the little from this, but it is still nice to have an original from his shop. :)

JT

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You will enjoy the amplifier. I sure do mine.

Note that it tends towards preferring nominal 8 ohms and a flattish impedance is a desirable goal (the Tekton may fail that test).

The Cube drivers are interesting and we have done a few designs for them, but the trippling of price when they went to distribution makes for not near the value/dollar metric they were, pushing the other Polish Lowther-Class driver manufacturer, Sonido, into the spot-lght whose drivers are stil relatively affordable. The 6x9 oval is of particualr interest. Sonido seems to have been around longer and feedback is that you get very personal service.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

718TekIMfig1.jpg

Not as bad as expected. The 12 ohm bump might be audible, the low impedance in the bass wil be a bit starined (but still good) as in my big MTMs which are nominal 4 ohms below 250 Hz.

dave

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Congrats for original FW SIT-3!!!

That's one Fugly! Amp

:clown:

just a remark regarding Sonido - it is Hungarian ( Budapest location), while Cube is, indeed, Polish

second remark - Papa's SIT-3 is having almost nothing in common with lhquam's SIT 3X amp; while SIT-3 is autoformer gain stage without NFB loop , lhquam's is active gain stage ( while I can't remember is there NFB loop)

SIT-3 is effectively pure DEF OS, while lhquam's is tweaked DEF - different amounts of modulation for SIT and Mosfet

sound wise - similarities of course, but also enough differences to call them different animals

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Congrats on the SIT-3! I also have it on my bucket list to purchase a the 'genuine article' someday. I still think we'll see a FW Tokin amp in the future, although I have no actual data to back that up. At any rate, I hope we some more FW SIT amps. Enjoy yours!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My bad ZM.

Aside: i’m half Polish (grandfather lived near Bruno and called himself a Slav), my Grandma from Poland. Grandfather and his brother deserted from the Austro-Hungairian army before WWI. There i got in both Poland and Hungary, but there are a lot of countries stuffed into a part of Europe about the size of the province i live in. I can look at. amap (i love maps) but i have know real sense of how things scale over there ;^)

Here a picture to make up;

Aquinicum-title-snap.png

dave

Thanks for the info and the well wishes on the new amp.

@Zen, I hadn't looked at the 3x schematic, I made the incorrect assumption that it would be much the same design as in the others that have taken the X.

I'm very excited, I have a chance at a XA-12 for a great price too, but man that would put a dent in the savings for sure.

JT