Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

New Aleph J builder from Wisconsin, USA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2021, 11:48 PM   #1
Chris In Milwaukee is offline Chris In Milwaukee  United States
Cheese Runner
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph J builder from Wisconsin, USA

Hi all,

First post to the group. Iíve loved reading through so many posts, here and in the Planet10 speaker forums.

A friend turned me onto the Pass designs and Iíve been doing a ton of research and decided that Iíll build an Aleph J. The rave reviews of it make it irresistible. So I ordered a board set and the semis from the DIY store. As I peruse the BoM on this, there are several options for devices. Are they ordered by preference, class, or any other criteria? Or no particular order?

My current stable includes a pair of Klipsch Heresy IIs, JBL L-20Ts, Technics SE-A70 Class A-ish (so it says on the label) amp and SU-A80 preamp, a Denon DP-47F turntable, and a couple of Proton cassette decks, all of which I bought while stationed in Japan in the 80s on the USS Midway . I never have been able to keep a CD transport alive for some reason! I must admit that I love my ďvintageĒ equipment (tough to hear myself say when I remember buying them new) and the collection sounds great in my own ears. But I donít know what I donít know. I recently bought a Schiit Modi DAC for streaming to get a feel for what better digital is supposed to act like. Itís a starter DAC before moving up the food chain. Looking forward to seeing what true high-end audio sounds like in my own house. I did work in a hifi shop in Memphis for a while so have experienced higher end solid state and tube amps along with similar speakers from the likes of Totem, Energy, and others. So ready to step up my game.

I was an avionics tech in the Navy, working on F/A-18s during the Gulf War and taught discreet electronics, digital, and radar as well. So I know my way around schematics and soldering irons. This is going to be great fun!

~Chris

Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 18th March 2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Title update
Old 18th February 2021, 12:05 AM   #2
2 picoDumbs is offline 2 picoDumbs  Australia
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the club.
Old 18th February 2021, 02:15 AM   #3
Cheese Runner
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 picoDumbs View Post
Welcome to the club.
Appreciate it.
Old 18th February 2021, 03:08 AM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

sorta smarter getting hooked on weed, or something ...... this can be obsessive

Old 18th February 2021, 03:14 AM   #5
32y0 is offline 32y0  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nah, he jumped straight onto the better stuff

Welcome Chris!
Old 18th February 2021, 03:23 AM   #6
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Chris,

Welcome and that's a nice project you have chosen.

Have fun and look forward to your build updates.
Old 18th February 2021, 03:43 AM   #7
Rory Christ is offline Rory Christ
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris In Milwaukee View Post
Are they ordered by preference, class, or any other criteria? Or no particular order?
Glancing over the BOM, all the parts listed on their look like nice parts. I think there are just multiple options in case something is out of stock or if you have a preference for a particular brand or product line. Personally, I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it because all the options can be overwhelming and you are unlikely to notice a difference between them.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:06 AM   #8
Cheese Runner
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Christ View Post
Glancing over the BOM, all the parts listed on their look like nice parts. I think there are just multiple options in case something is out of stock or if you have a preference for a particular brand or product line. Personally, I wouldn't spend much time thinking about it because all the options can be overwhelming and you are unlikely to notice a difference between them.
Excellent. Time to dig in then.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:15 AM   #9
ItsAllInMyHead is offline ItsAllInMyHead  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris -

Welcome to the pleasuredome. Relax, and enjoy your stay.

-Patrick
Old 18th February 2021, 03:44 PM   #10
sebtdi is offline sebtdi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just follow the guide for noobs - it's very good and well made. That is what I did and I had zero issues. Advice is take your time and focus as it's easy to make mistake, be very meticulous and you should be fine..agree that this hobby can get addictive!!

New Aleph J builder from Wisconsin, USAHide this!Advertise here!