F5 Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm assuming you are referencing the original F5 schematics (attached).

In addition to the measurements Rayma asked about,
can you also check the voltages across R1, R2, R3, R4?

Attachments

• F5_orig.JPG
    F5_orig.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 210
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's some issue with the R3/R4 R11/R12 numbers. If R3 is 0, R11 will also be zero. If you're getting R4 3.86 then R12 should be around .6. Yours seem opposite. Can you pl recheck?

JFETs seem to be okay, so it's either current limiting cutting in (my primary suspect) or an output device.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
With the power off, what is the resistance across P1? If the pot has failed it will show zero and turning the screw will make no difference.

If it is greater than zero (around 450 ohms should be the present reading), turn both P1 and P2 to zero.

Remove Q5.

Put the bulb limiter on your mains input OR power the amp through 10 ohm resistors.

Start moving P1/P2 till you start getting some bias, to verify whether everything is functioning per normal. About 50mV across R11 and R12 will verify that you're doing okay.

Replace Q5 with a known good part. Note the pin orientation carefully. Reversed device will lead to zero bias.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Definitely follow Sangram's advice. I am only offering a suggestion that you can check to see if P1 has failed by checking the resistance across R5. It may save you from having to remove the board from the heatsinks. If you can confidently replace Q5 w/o removing the board from the heatsinks, it could save you some time and another potential failure mode during troubleshooting/repair.

Sangram or another person with more experience can chime in if that is recommended/proper.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Actually the resistance across P1 is measurable between collector and emitter of Q5. Those leads are fully exposed and available, probably easier than a resistor too. There are other possibilities, one of which is the power supply rail, one end of the thermistor, etc.

As long as you get a reading, it doesn't matter where you take it.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Definitely! Also, thank you. I chose R5 b/c it is commonly used as a reference when people forget to zero P1 (or are anxious about it) before their first biasing, but after installing the pots on the boards and/or mounting the boards. I should have offered alternatives to be more complete. Of course, I did not mean to assume anything re: IZHAKKATZ's ability to determine that on their own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.