Ultimate 4U 500mm Chassis - Who is interested?

Base Plate Option

• Standard Aluminium 3mm or 4mm

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Aluminium + Custom Perforated Steel Base Plate 470mm to 480mm

Votes: 16 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really would like a perforated base plate. Hopefully, the ordering process will be simple. A complete package would be great. Bill

Maybe it would be better to quote for everything included then subtract from the price what people don't want.

Probably not possible right now till an accurate price comes in for the perforated base plate though.

We can create one product "all included" and one "only chassis" so everybody knows what they are getting and paying for

Pico's Toxic Masculinity Chassis - Definite List

4U x 500mm Toxic Masculinity Chassis

x10 310 Euro
x25 250 Euro

Pico x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
Gary S x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
pwagner x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
Hey Bill x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
Super_BQ x 1 (maybe 2 if required to get to 25)
TungstenAudio x 1
Subbu k x 1
hifibluedevil x 1
BrianGasberg x 1

Anyone I have missed please add your name to the list.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I hope I'm not asking a redundant question. I reread from the beginning, and I also checked the Modushop site and the DIYA site. Essentially, I am trying to determine the overall relative heat dissipation from 5U 400, 5U 500, and 4U 500.

For 5U 400 => 2 pieces 200x210 @0.28 C/W => 0.14 C/W per channel/side
For 5U 500 => 2 pieces 250x210 @0.19 C/W => 0.095 C/W per channel/side

I can't find the specs for a single 250x165. I assume it's somewhere in the middle, but closer to the 250x210 b/c it seems the "length" contributes a bit more than the "height" to the overall dissipation capability. If dissipation is not the correct word, apologies.

This is beautiful work! I am trying to decide what chassis will be the "last" I need. :rofl:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Have been watching this sporadically. Is there a post that summarizes what is included in the price? Perhaps this would help generate interest in the group buy. Also, how much power can be dissipated per side for, say, a 25 degree rise above ambiant? I am undecided whether I will buy or build a chassis for the SIT-3X (170 watts per side). Many thanks.

Pierre

Price will be 250 Euro if we get 25, for a Deluxe Style Chassis

For the handles on the rear panel there is an additional charge of 6.10 Euro
For an additional internally mounted perforated steel base plate there is an additional charge of approximately 18 Euro

Chassis Specs

10mm thick Aluminium Front Panel - Anodized Black or Silver with led holes

Dimensions
450mm wide
500mm deep
165mm tall

Heatsinks 500mm x 165mm

Heatsinks will be drilled and tapped to be compatible with all Firstwatt amps in the store (UMS spec) as well as some additional holes that use more of the heatsink real estate, as well as add the option to mount longer pcbs etc.
Back panel is predrilled and cut to accept:
Schurter IEC
Neutrik or Cardas XLR
Pilot hole to drill out, to RCA size of your choice - it is suggested to use Cardas
Pilot holes to drill out, to binding-post size of your choice - it is suggested to use Cardas
Holes installed for handles.

Last edited:
For 5U 400 => 2 pieces 200x210 @0.28 C/W => 0.14 C/W per channel/side
For 5U 500 => 2 pieces 250x210 @0.19 C/W => 0.095 C/W per channel/side

One of these specs is very wrong.
250mm is only 25% longer than 200mm.
If 5U x 200mm does 0.28 C/W, then no way will 5U x 250mm do 0.19 C/W

A more accurate figure assuming 0.28 C/W for 200mm is accurate would be around 0.22 C/W for 250mm

Another problem with these specs, is no rise above ambient data is stated. Heatsinks dissipate heat more efficiently the hotter they get, that is a heatsink could have measured properties of 0.28 C/W for a 30C rise above ambient, but for a 25C rise above ambient the specs might be 0.3 C/W.

Last edited: