Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Threshold S500 II volume  issue.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2020, 01:53 PM   #11
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

yup
Old 12th January 2020, 05:05 PM   #12
Silvanik is offline Silvanik  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmarino View Post
The S/500 I purchased had low or no gain in one channel.

Of course I knew the electro caps were past their life, and that the
tantalums were risky.

When I replaced the 420uf (470?) electro cap the gain was back. Subsequent testing of the old cap showed it was dead. The 420uf (470?) on the still working channel tested OK. (replaced anyway of course). Then replaced the tants with film.

I would start there, get it working and then worry about the bias - Unless it's too high right now!
Mpmarino, thank you so much for your valuable hint, it seems that I have similar issue, as soon as possible I'll check those damn tantalums with the hope this fix the issue. My serial number says that my S500 II was built in 1986 so can't actually complain if sometingh start to show its age.
Luckly I'm able to replace them on my own, any suggestion about the best replacement I can use for these caps?
Old 12th January 2020, 05:29 PM   #13
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I read the above as it was the 420/470 uF e-cap that was the real problem so you should probably re-cap both types (e-caps and tantalums) so be sure amp will run without problems for the years to come…….
Old 12th January 2020, 05:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
I read the above as it was the 420/470 uF e-cap that was the real problem so you should probably re-cap both types (e-caps and tantalums) so be sure amp will run without problems for the years to come…….
You are perfectly right! I'm going to replace all the capacitors present in my amp with the best I can find, I want make it really sings as it was designed for.
A part this functional issue the amp looks like new, (thirty four years old now!) cosmetically speaking.
I replaced all the original flimsy feet with more suitable and stronger rubber ones, considering its weight it had to be the oem choice even because the mechanical and electrical construction is top notch.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Mpmarino, just checked my caps, tantalums and some e-caps found dead!
Now I'm in the process to find the best caps on the market to replace them and bring back my S500 to life.
Can't wait for this work done and compare the Threshold to my other amp McCormack DNA-2 driving one of more bastard load you can meet, the Thiel CS 3.6 speakers, thing that the DNA-2 actually does with pleasant authority.
Old 15th January 2020, 01:17 PM   #16
mpmarino is offline mpmarino  United States
diyAudio Member

I hope it fixes your issues. I think it will.

If it doesn't, it needed doing anyway

Threshold S500 II volume  issue.Hide this!Advertise here!